What is it with DT bashers

I'm fine with instrumental parts of songs. One of my favorite bands is Symphony X where they go into instrumental parts for their songs, but with Dream Theater, usually these 10/20/30 minute instrumental parts between the verses add no musical value to the song whatsoever. Most of the time they just go into a jam where the keyboard is making a circus sound the other band members are just wanking. At least with Symphony X it adds to the song and stays with the mood and element of the song.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I dig the wankery. It's actually what I look forward to with new DT albums, rather than the songs themselves. I don't think DT will ever replicate their older stuff unless Kevin Moore gets back on as a songwriter; but, then again, people change.

it is because DT are one of the best example of a band who were legends, and then sacrificed the uniquness and godliness of there earlier albums in order to sell more (one of many theroies) but all in all, they cratered. you dont see any longtime fans trying to compare BC&SL or SC with I&W or metropolis pt 2.

Hi. How are you. I enjoy long bubble baths and men who arent afraid to cry.

SFAM and SDOIT are overrated. These 2 and FTI are the only albums i stay away from (besides Lines in the Sand, that song = epicness.)

Dream Theater is to Prog Metal as Metallica is to Thrash/Heavy Metal in general. Just as a high percentage of people will have used Metallica as their pathway into heavy music, many of us probably discovered Prog Metal via Dream Theater. Both bands cop allot of flack nowdays (some deserved...), yet both bands have some of the best/most important albums in their respective genres, and have both reached a commercial success unrivalled by their peers.

Success for a band isn’t necessarily a good thing though. A sports team that is well up on their opposition on the score board is likely to loose intensity towards the end of the game; regardless of their best intentions they know the game’s in the bag and that hunger drops out of their play – they are susceptible to conceding a few late points.

This is the same in music. When a band has a small fan base and a minor/no record deal they are hungry and are constantly trying to push the envelope to create something that will blow the listener away. Once they have been signed up to a multi album deal and have world wide tours booked they can get comfortable and the song writing lacks that edge it once had. However this doesn’t mean there still won’t be moments of brilliance – The count of Tuscany is testament to that.

From a listeners point of view these bands have been around for years and their sound, which at one point was exciting and new to us, no longer seems anything special. I wonder if I’d never heard Dream Theater before if I’d feel songs like A Rite of Passage, A nightmare to remember and Wither were pretty bland?...

From a listeners point of view these bands have been around for years and their sound, which at one point was exciting and new to us, no longer seems anything special. I wonder if I’d never heard Dream Theater before if I’d feel songs like A Rite of Passage, A nightmare to remember and Wither were pretty bland?...

good lord i call bull on this - i still find the material from their first three albums exciting despite how familiar they are, because they're good.

Besides, it's not like their sound wasn't already somewhat old because of Fates Warning and Queensryche in the 80's. They modified it but did not create it ex nihilo.

I'm also slowly finding out that theres maybe a lot of DT bashers because there so many DT fans who are HOLY SHIT DT IS THE BEST MUSIC EVER OMG THEIR MUSIC IS SO GENIUS AND SO COMPLEX AND AMAZING AND I'D GIVE MY RIGHT EYE DEFENDING THEM WITH ALL MY HONOR AND IM FUCKING SMART BECAUSE I LISTEN TO MUSIC THAT HAS ODD TIME SIGNATURES SO IM BETTER THAN YOU BECAUSE I LISTEN TO THEM AND ALL YOUR MUSIC THATS IN 4/4 IS SHIT AND NOT COMPLEX. DT IS THE BEST!!!!

The fanboys are STRONG with DT theres no doubt. It's because of this that many Dream Theater fans misinterpret remarks about the band and get highly defensive.

There's no denying that those folks are out there in decent number...but for every one of those there's another guy who rips on them for no apparent or contextually relevant reason (and in many of these cases it certainly is bashing as opposed to criticism). This is the case with almost any band with a reputation.

EDIT: On a side note...I think it sort of ties in with the new wave of the past few years on the internet. You know, the whole "OMG THAT IS FAST BUT WHERE IS THE FEELING?!?!?". I know I've seen you complain about those people on this forum, so I know you know what I'm talking about. I feel like those people are almost like the Progsnob 2.0...I probably see them on the internet as much as the guys you're describing. I think both extremes are stupid, to say the least.

That wasn't directed at you. You have given reasons at various times on this forum. That said, you have to admit that you do engage in your fair share of flat-out shitslinging from time to time.

Yeah, there is feeling when playing fast. It just can't be 80 bpm going over the pentatonic with big bends is feeling lol.

I think its the general forum atmosphere. People are more highly opinionated and give stronger opinions than in real life. I know I do sometimes. Like when I'm having a conversation with friends I attempt to stay neutral and keep the conversation going smooth and bring up valid points on both negatives on positives and if you were there we throw in random jokes and keep it fun. But on a forum you can't interpret any of that and a lot of times it's a big positive opinion or a big negative opinion so it makes you look elitist and people just love to attack that because its so easy to and they think their opinion is more valid than the person they're speaking to.

It could be something along the lines of, "oh hes someone I don't know so I'm going to share my hardest opinions with him so that he knows what I'm all about." What I really think is that some people cannot establish that there are other real people that are reading what they're typing and they either think that oh this isn't serious so I can talk however I want or they think they have the security of sitting on a computer, being anonymous, and typing whatever they want without any repercussions. I personally know people who are like this because of the anonymity.

Besides, it's not like their sound wasn't already somewhat old because of Fates Warning and Queensryche in the 80's. They modified it but did not create it ex nihilo.

Anybody that thinks DT sounds anything like old Fates or Ryche needs their ears checked. Im a HUGE fan of all three bands and find this statement bizare.

When I first heard Dream Theater I was reminded of Kansas, ELP, Crack the Sky and Rush brought into the then current metal sound with some riffage resembling say Metallica. But they took the musianship and theory to a much higher level than the old progressive rock bands I just mentioned.

Fates and Ryche are a whole nother thing, unique to themselves for the most part, same as Dream Theater used to be.

If anything I'd say Dream Theater was closer to what Watchtower was doing but a bit less chaotic. However I think their careers began around the same time.

Look, they origionated as three young dudes that met at Berklee and dropped out to make music. Im sure they were quite bored at Berklee considering the level of skill and creativity they had as my recolection of Berklee is they were pretty repressive of anything outside of jazz... at least in the 70's. Since Dream Theaters recording career they could damn near be thier own college of music just studying their catalog.

So they grew long in the tooth... so did Fates, Ryche and YES even Symphony X

^ Listen to Perfect Symmetry, particularly "At Fates Hands," and tell me DT didn't borrow a TON from FW. DT themselves even admit this. Though I agree, Kansas and Rush are in there as well (but also in FW, so...)

I don't agree with the Watchtower comparison, however. Both technical bands, but DT sounded and still sounds way different than they did. The only Watchtower influence I'd say survived by proxy, again, through FW, who was influenced by Watchtower.

You might be right about Queensryche, I just threw that in there because everyone seems to say that, but truth be told I have never been able to care much for them...

I can underrstand fully what your saying, but music is important to some people and sometimes its all people have. Never under estimate the power of music!!

I agree completely, mate. I just don't get the heavy opinions - I'm sorta disappointed that people don't have better things to do...