What is your biggest musical guilty pleasure?

soundave said:
Honestly, I don't know. Their reputation has always, in my mind, preceded anything musical they had to offer. They're one of the few bands that I know are "important" that I have never bothered to explore. Maybe I'm being ignorant, but I would feel guilty listening to their music. It's the difference, to me, in enjoying a horror movie versus enjoying watching snuff films. Maybe not exactly the same. But close. Like buying the oil paintings done by John Wayne Gacy. Though they have nothing to do with his murders, I wouldn't want to enjoy anything done by such a despicable human being. Make sense? Maybe I just have a hang up about this...

Just give it ago ! You will probably love it!

Kenneth R. said:
You aren't alone in that sentiment. I can't stand NSBM bands, no matter what they sound like musically, simply because I know what they're trying to promote and I stand against it. It's cool that they feel strongly about something, but its not something I agree with. Same goes for satanic bands. Although, really both cases yield an :lol: from me, which I should probably feel slightly guilty for.

Well, for many "satanic" bands, it's an act and marketing gimmick, so I don't give a damn. I mean, that's a tradition that goes waaaaay back. People thought Paganini sold his soul to the devil to play violin like he did. He never denied it, and instead, dressed in black, grew his hair long, arrived at concerts in carriages drawn by black horses. Mystique is cool. Killing is not.

Most of my guilty pleasures so-to-speak are pop-music which I don't really listen to. There is sometimes a rap song here and there that I really like.

I could really compare my musical guilty pleasures to fast food. Sometimes it's really good, but just doesn't have the substance to keep me interested for very long.

pac1288 said:
Most of my guilty pleasures so-to-speak are pop-music which I don't really listen to. There is sometimes a rap song here and there that I really like.

I could really compare my musical guilty pleasures to fast food. Sometimes it's really good, but just doesn't have the substance to keep me interested for very long.

Great analogy!

Hm, lets see. All we're doing here is listing the non-metal music that we like, so.. here's a couple I can think of:

matchbox twenty, maroon5 (some), evanescence, linkin park.. yadi yadi yada

soundave said:
Honestly, I don't know. Their reputation has always, in my mind, preceded anything musical they had to offer. They're one of the few bands that I know are "important" that I have never bothered to explore. Maybe I'm being ignorant, but I would feel guilty listening to their music. It's the difference, to me, in enjoying a horror movie versus enjoying watching snuff films. Maybe not exactly the same. But close. Like buying the oil paintings done by John Wayne Gacy. Though they have nothing to do with his murders, I wouldn't want to enjoy anything done by such a despicable human being. Make sense? Maybe I just have a hang up about this...

From my understanding Faust was the only one to commit murder, and he's not even in Emperor anymore, and Samoth burned down a church but so what?
If you choose not to listen to bands because of their lifestyle choice, that's, well, your choice, but it's a pitty because you are missing out on some of the greatest musicians metal has to offer.
Also, listen to Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk and tell me that's not deserved every praise it's received. Fucking incredible work of art.

Well, not feeling guilty about any of them, but here goes:
I really like (and also create) hardcore (not the metal-genre, more the electronic genre.) Artists like Ophidian, Mindustries, Hellfish, D'Spyre.
I listen to some hip-hop (Cypress Hill, NWA, early Snoop Dogg), electronic styles like drum n bass, triphop, bigbeats (like the Prodigy), i really like a dutch band called Blof.. I also like punk (Bad Religion, NoFX, Lagwagon, Ramones, Toy Dolls), and sometimes i listen to some (neo) classical. (Moussorgsky, Elend).
I think Coldplay is really good too, as is Sigur Ros, Tori Amos, Kate Bush, in fact, the only music i really hate is modern day R&B, where singers tend to sing as many notes as possible in between other notes, over a really lame beat, which is often ripped off from another song.

But mainly i listen to black/death metal, grindcore, hardcore (still, electronic) and doom-metal. Cool points for me :)

Rawr said:
Well, not feeling guilty about any of them, but here goes:
I really like (and also create) hardcore (not the metal-genre, more the electronic genre.) Artists like Ophidian, Mindustries, Hellfish, D'Spyre.
I listen to some hip-hop (Cypress Hill, NWA, early Snoop Dogg), electronic styles like drum n bass, triphop, bigbeats (like the Prodigy), i really like a dutch band called Blof.. I also like punk (Bad Religion, NoFX, Lagwagon, Ramones, Toy Dolls), and sometimes i listen to some (neo) classical. (Moussorgsky, Elend).
I think Coldplay is really good too, as is Sigur Ros, Tori Amos, Kate Bush, in fact, the only music i really hate is modern day R&B, where singers tend to sing as many notes as possible in between other notes, over a really lame beat, which is often ripped off from another song.

But mainly i listen to black/death metal, grindcore, hardcore (still, electronic) and doom-metal. Cool points for me :)

Rawr said:
Toy Dolls

My uncle was a session guitarist with them, but so far as i know more or less every musician in the North East of England was at one point or another. And i know the original drummers daughter, so i've seen him with his current band Silver Machine. A bunch of 40 year old guys who probably could have made it (they are supremely talented) rocking out to all the greats, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, Rainbow etc. Considering it was Stanley social club, it was one of the best gigs i've ever been to.

And Kate Bush is awesome, and sexy as hell.

almosst anything from the 80's i love swing, jazz, classical and some blues
also one song by moby - porcelain
i like meditaition music
I AM NOT ASHAMED OF THIS FOR IF YOU DONT KNOW WHERE MUSIC CAME FROM YOU CANT APRECCIATE IT!!

BULLSHIT!!!

everyone's keeping it safe here! it sucks! be honest... you're all like:

"lolz , i like bjork, tori amos and depeche mode, but i'm not ashamed, lol!!1"

BULLSHIT!!! be honest... tell us about the nsync songs you like, the britney songs, etc...

and dont give me that "oh but its true, lol, i dont like any of that" shit!! because you do!!!!!

of course i've listened to thousand of songs i hate from pop singers and bands, but there are some that i enjoy and i think they're "good"...

all madonna, britney's toxic rules!, christina aguilera can fucking sing and i enjoy it, robbie williams is teh SHIT, alanis morrisette i love, all the big hits from the 80's were great, etc...

i mean.. all those songs you enjoy, but you wouldn't admit it because it's "not your thing"...

BULLSHIT i say!!!