What is your biggest musical guilty pleasure?

Larsson said:
I think most of you misunderstood the thread. It's not a guilty pleasure if other people who are more interessted in music then your average MTV watcher don't like it. To be a guilty pleasure you must actually feel guilt(for liking it) when you listen to the music.
then none.

Larsson said:
I think most of you misunderstood the thread. It's not a guilty pleasure if other people who are more interessted in music then your average MTV watcher don't like it. To be a guilty pleasure you must actually feel guilt(for liking it) when you listen to the music.

wow, why would anyone honestly feel guilty about listening to music? unless you have a certain song that forces you to kill people....you should feel guilty about listening to that song.

Wow... did't think you were being so literal. If listening to music makes you feel guilty, I think you need to get your head checked.

Maybe you mean: music that you might be embarassed to listen to at full blast in the parking lot before an Opeth show with all the metalheads walking by....

Nah... still, I don't care....

soundave said:
Wow... did't think you were being so literal. If listening to music makes you feel guilty, I think you need to get your head checked.

Maybe you mean: music that you might be embarassed to listen to at full blast in the parking lot before an Opeth show with all the metalheads walking by....

Exactly!!!

There are many bands that I love but wouldn't even want to listen to full blast in the car...

I wouldn't saw that listening to those bands makes me feel guilty though...

soundave said:

Thats pretty much what I meant.

Like when you listen to something thats supposed to be bad and you like it anyway so you feel guilty about that.

Larsson said:
Thats pretty much what I meant.

Like when you listen to something thats supposed to be bad and you like it anyway so you feel guilty about that.

Aha... this is the crux of the matter: "supposed to be bad". I don't typically let others tell me what is good or bad; I determine that myself. Hence, my lack of guilt. Oh well. I think this thread is still interesting, even if we're not doing what you had in mind, Larsson. :rolleyes:

soundave said:
Aha... this is the crux of the matter: "supposed to be bad". I don't typically let others tell me what is good or bad; I determine that myself. Hence, my lack of guilt. Oh well. I think this thread is still interesting, even if we're not doing what you had in mind, Larsson. :rolleyes:
What if you liked a song by Madonna? Wouldnt you feel the least bit guilty if that happened?

Larsson said:
What if you liked a song by Madonna? Wouldnt you feel the least bit guilty if that happened?

I do, and no. Being "good" or "bad" is so subjective, that I've nearly stopped using qualifiers like that anymore. I like "Like a Virgin" and "Lucky Star" because they came out when I was a kid and they remind me of a great vacation I spent in Florida visiting my grandma. It transcends good and bad. Sometimes, something just hits you and you like it. "Good" or "bad" hardly matters. But that's just me.

soundave said:
I do, and no. Being "good" or "bad" is so subjective, that I've nearly stopped using qualifiers like that anymore. I like "Like a Virgin" and "Lucky Star" because they came out when I was a kid and they remind me of a great vacation I spent in Florida visiting my grandma. It transcends good and bad. Sometimes, something just hits you and you like it. "Good" or "bad" hardly matters. But that's just me.
Thats true. But Madonna was just an example. I wouldnt truly feel guilty if I liked a song by Madonna.

But thats it's what a guilty pleasure is anyway. If you don't feel any guilt(i can't really say I do either) that good for you right.

Point is a guilty pleasure is when you feel guilt when you like something and feel guilty about it(even if it's stupid to feel that way), even if it doesent apply to you(not me either really).

Larsson said:
Thats true. But Madonna was just an example. I wouldnt truly feel guilty if I liked a song by Madonna.

But thats it's what a guilty pleasure is anyway. If you don't feel any guilt(i can't really say I do either) that good for you right.

Point is a guilty pleasure is when you feel guilt when you like something and feel guilty about it(even if it's stupid to feel that way), even if it doesent apply to you(not me either really).

For me maybe it's a music thing. I guess I DO have guilty pleasures with, say, TV. I like The O.C., even though I think it's for the High School kids I used to teach. I'm probably waaay outside of the demographic on that one. I know it's silly and dumb, but I like it.

Strangely, I never feel that way about music....

So, there, I've confessed.

MrJack said:
nope, thats what the new band was called when they broke up. had one album, then KMFDM came back. Raymond watts I think started MDFMK, but KMFDM is back. I dont really like them that much, just WWIII and some of Nihil. CRAZY VIDEOS though, I can't watch too many or I get dizzy!

MDFMK was terrible, as is newer KMFDM.

As I was listening to "Dusk and Her Embrace" I thought about how often Cradle of Filth is denigrated on this forum. So, how about CoF?

for me, a guilty pleasure is one that conflicts with morals...such as laughing my ass off at, "your kid commited suicide because you suck" by anal cunt. i know that these guys aren't serious...but when you take into account the fact that the song is dedicated to eric clapton...sheesh. thats fucking terrible. or, watching bad santa and laughing my ass off at a man's actions that are influenced by severe depression and alchoholism.

soundave said:
As I was listening to "Dusk and Her Embrace" I thought about how often Cradle of Filth is denigrated on this forum. So, how about CoF?

yeh. i actually do like dusk and her embrace and damnation and a day. oops did i say that outloud.

JoeVice said:
for me, a guilty pleasure is one that conflicts with morals...such as laughing my ass off at, "your kid commited suicide because you suck" by anal cunt. i know that these guys aren't serious...but when you take into account the fact that the song is dedicated to eric clapton...sheesh. thats fucking terrible. or, watching bad santa and laughing my ass off at a man's actions that are influenced by severe depression and alchoholism.

Ah... Great point. Unfamiliar with the A.C. song, but sounds like I'd be uncomfortable with it. Never considered that aspect before.

When I was little, I felt guilty for liking Maiden's "Number of the Beast" because I thought it was satanic and that I might go to hell for liking it. :p Seriously. Funny to think about all the shit I listen to now.

Maybe you've hit on why I've never really given Emperor much of a listen.

soundave said:
Ah... Great point. Unfamiliar with the A.C. song, but sounds like I'd be uncomfortable with it. Never considered that aspect before.

When I was little, I felt guilty for liking Maiden's "Number of the Beast" because I thought it was satanic and that I might go to hell for liking it. :p Seriously. Funny to think about all the shit I listen to now.

Maybe you've hit on why I've never really given Emperor much of a listen.

But then do you think emperor started because they wanted people to take into consideration of their lyrics?

affinityband said:
But then do you think emperor started because they wanted people to take into consideration of their lyrics?

Honestly, I don't know. Their reputation has always, in my mind, preceded anything musical they had to offer. They're one of the few bands that I know are "important" that I have never bothered to explore. Maybe I'm being ignorant, but I would feel guilty listening to their music. It's the difference, to me, in enjoying a horror movie versus enjoying watching snuff films. Maybe not exactly the same. But close. Like buying the oil paintings done by John Wayne Gacy. Though they have nothing to do with his murders, I wouldn't want to enjoy anything done by such a despicable human being. Make sense? Maybe I just have a hang up about this...

You aren't alone in that sentiment. I can't stand NSBM bands, no matter what they sound like musically, simply because I know what they're trying to promote and I stand against it. It's cool that they feel strongly about something, but its not something I agree with. Same goes for satanic bands. Although, really both cases yield an :lol: from me, which I should probably feel slightly guilty for.