What is your favorite "new" band(s) this year

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
"New" being defined as, you finally bought a CD/vinyl/cassette/8 track from a particular band - maybe having heard them before here and there, but you finally added one of their albums to your collection.

For me, I have a couple:

Ghost
I purposely stayed away from these guys for a long time because I hate bands who lay up the whole Satan stuff. I finally picked up infestissumam and their new one Meliora. Meliora is one of my current top albums of the year. I love the songwriting, melodies, everything is pretty amazing.

Eclipse
I've heard a lot about these guys and finally picked up their latest album Armageddonize. This one also is in my top albums running. It's melodic hard rock, high caliber stuff.

Last edited:
Agatus
Dawnbringer
Drowning The Light
Exmortus
Hallucinogen (not metal, but fucking awesome trancy shit)
Ildra
Kawir
Krallice
Neige Et Noirceur
Sun Worship
Wodensthrone
Zaum

I can't get enough of these guys. The entire album is loaded with exquisite guitar melodies. Easily the biggest find of the year for me.

a blind buy on my part for $7. It has paid off in dividends. I'm entirely impressed with this band. I have this split and II and both are superb.

Good Moonsorrow-esque stuff

Symphonic black metal. I usually hate this stuff, but I like this band. It's very American in feel and subject matter. Perhaps that's what does it. Who knows....

Also, this year I started jumping on Bandcamp. A lot. I spend hours sometimes searching for new, young bands to support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aburadako/あぶらだこ, Japanese noise rock/punk that gives me the same vibes I get from Foetus, a bit of swing and bombastic drumming. Vocalist sounds like a cartoon villain but I love it.

Ancestral is a demo band I had missed until recently. Tech-death somewhat on the brutal side for 1993, tight guitar work, sloppy over-trying drummer, but it comes together for me.

My memory is stuffed but a few would be Arrogance,Svolder,Phantom Feel, Lychgate,Martial,Goat Semen,Morpheus Descends( I'll remember more eventually).

Macabre Omen -- Gods of War - At War

Just brilliant and my first time listening to them. It's like listening to an interpretation of the Odyssey over and over again.

I got Zom and Murg.

Discovered/will get Vi, Gouge, Kaeck, Kjeld, Osculum Infame and Misþyrming.

That just looks like a bunch of made up words.