WHAT IZ IMPULSE?! haha, just kidding... who's made the BEST impulses?

i should hope not, i'm a noob and stopped using them a long time ago, you cant beat the sound of a well mic'd cab imo, impulses just dont cut it for me

Yeah. I've "seen" some people get 1:1 identical results with a cab and an impulse compared, but personally I've never gotten them to sound as good as a real cab miced. They always have some sort of fake and boxy sound to them, even when using a real preamp signal from an amp. They often don't sit into the mix at all, either, they sort of float over the other instruments, like someone recorded something by themselves on top of a premade backing track.

In one sense no, impulses will never be as good as a real cab, much like amp sim will never be as good as a real amp. Does this mean we'll never get good results? Hardly. Some of the best songs I've downloaded/rated on this board have been made with impulses.

Plus the cost:useage ratio just can't be beat. I've got peavey tube combo amp (1x12) that cost me $400 that I only use to practice. Revalver mkIII demo and hundreds of impulses cost me nothing.

Ultra 112, perhaps? My roommate at college the last two years had one; it was pretty bitchin', definitely had the Peavey sound, and ran with the 5150 combo and my JSX that we also had in our suite (it was the Peavey dorm room from hell, we had those 3 plus my roommate also played a Wolfgang :D)

Plus Alu's (WildHades around here) over at guitarampmodeling. There's some really good ones. Too good apparently (check his thread over there if you don't know what I'm referring to). Also, Poid's Englv30 impulse is really good and one of my main "go-to" impulses. But I'm still looking for the "perfect" set. :)

BTW, could anyone indicate me a IR for some cool solos ? I'm using one of Alu's, but I wanted to know other people lead IR to go...

BTW, could anyone indicate me a IR for some cool solos ? I'm using one of Alu's, but I wanted to know other people lead IR to go...

Have you tried an IR that was done with a Neumann U67, dude? Really helps cutting through a typically dense metal track.

It may sound a little too harsh at first but taking care of the higher mids and/or "lower" treble with some clever subtractive EQ, you should be on the right track. :heh:

Have you tried an IR that was done with a Neumann U67, dude? Really helps cutting through a typically dense metal track.

It may sound a little too harsh at first but taking care of the higher mids and/or "lower" treble with some clever subtractive EQ, you should be on the right track. :heh:

NICE... thanks for the tips... NOW, Ima gonna abuse ya: do you have any that matches your description there :D ? I only have a Fender Bassman IR with this mic...:)

NICE... thanks for the tips... NOW, Ima gonna abuse ya: do you have any that matches your description there :D ? I only have a Fender Bassman IR with this mic...:)

Lol I knew nothing about impulses when I had access to this and a marshall with v30s. Belonged to a friend of mine who later on sold them off and got himself an ibanez thermion.