What made you happy today?

Good stuff! I've not particularly done anything today, but will go to Big Red later to see the Metalworks cover band in action. Maybe featuring the guitarist who will be filling in for Priest this summer.

got my Gamma Ray t-shirt signed and met the guys again !
after the show a plectrum flew into my hair, so i got a Dirk Slächter plec now :)

Nice dude! I got a pick from Henjo and Kai when I saw them, but the next day I lost the one from Kai >_<

Well, Osama bin Laden is dead. I'm sure everybody here knows by the time they read this, though, haha!

^ yeah that headline scared me when I thought it said Obama dead! I really hope there isn't a vicious circle of revenge sparked here. At the end of the day you can have the flag gropers chanting "USA, USA" but 10 years, 2 wars, 919,967 deaths, and $1,188,263,000,000 later...is knocking off this nut really worth it? Especially when I don't see this making much of a difference to the threat of international terrorism - might even raise the threat.

^ yeah that headline scared me when I thought it said Obama dead! I really hope there isn't a vicious circle of revenge sparked here. At the end of the day you can have the flag gropers chanting "USA, USA" but 10 years, 2 wars, 919,967 deaths, and $1,188,263,000,000 later...is knocking off this nut really worth it? Especially when I don't see this making much of a difference to the threat of international terrorism - might even raise the threat.

You make a good point, but in the big picture, the man's sole purpose was to terrorize and kill innocent people. Though there will certainly be an heir to his figurative throne, being the founder and leader of Al-Qaeda, this is certainly a massive blow to the organization. It may raise the threat, it may cause retaliation, but I don't believe we should have just let the guy continue doing what he was doing until he died of old age or sickness.

Of course, then we could ask why we're dancing and celebrating the death of another human being, but that's another subject entirely :p

Politics! rabble rabble

this is certainly a massive blow to the organization.

I hope your right but I think the western media is going to sell this like the organisation is now crippled (hurray War on Terror totally worth it) and America has scored a massive win for world peace (hurray war justified, Obama a lock for re-election) when in actual fact it's known that Al-Qaeda have already de-centralised their leadership in preparation for Bin Laden's demise or never really had a hierarchical organisation. This is a symbolic victory at best and it seems a inordinately massive price has been paid for what may be little gain.

I hope your right but I think the western media is going to sell this like the organisation is now crippled (hurray War on Terror totally worth it) and America has scored a massive win for world peace (hurray war justified, Obama a lock for re-election) when in actual fact it's known that Al-Qaeda have already de-centralised their leadership in preparation for Bin Laden's demise or never really had a hierarchical organisation. This is a symbolic victory at best and it seems a inordinately massive price has been paid for what may be little gain.

I can't argue against that because it's true. However there are a lot of us who already know this! Unfortunately... we do have a lot of idiots over here who don't know anything. The number of people I've seen personally who don't even know who Osama bin Laden was is staggering and, quite honestly, frightening.

Godspeed Andi!

@Gibbon: we're discussing Osama bin Laden's assassination and the effect it will have on the rest of the world :p