What new direction should Opeth take?

What new direction would you like Opeht to take?

• Use of keyboards

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Use of techno effects

• Change of structure: More verse/chorus/verse

• Change pf Structure: More progressive style

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Less Growling Vocals

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • More Whispering Vocals

• More use of Piano

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Keep them the way they are!!!

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • They should do a project with Fred Durst!

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • I don't know or care, they can do whatever the hell they want!

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • They can do whatever they want, and I will Love them regardless!

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters

Kushantaiidan

SPASIBA AX.
What kind of new direction would you like to see opeth take?

I'd personally love to see more piano, a reformed song structure (less 12 riffs, more progression), longer songs, more vocal whispering (Like on the first two albums), and more albums!!!!

Things I'd hate to see opeth do:

Adopt a verse/chorus/verse structure
Use keyboards
Lose the growls
Use any electronic music
Do any split albums, or half albums (Like COF or emperor)
Stop

What would you like to see the band do. Change is great, when change is for the better.

Use of keyboards: NOOOOOOOoooooooooooo.
Use of techno effects: NOOOOOOOoooooooooooo.
More verse/chorus/verse stlye: I'm not sure what you mean. Sounds...boring. ???
More progressive style: I initially picked this...then changed it.
Less Growling Vocals: It's the most speculated probably. Right? Although...Mike's said that it doesn't really hurt his throat at all which is almost unbelievable because it does in some way to most all death vocalists.
More Whispering Vocals: Whispers are cool. What's it like at a live show when he whispers. Can you hear it? Have they done it?
More use of Piano: Mmmm! I love the piano parts. Eerie feelings!
Keep them the way they are!!!: No, I'd like to see them progress. No stopping where they are now. They've been changing since day one. If they stopped and remained they way they are now, it wouldn't be right.
They should do a project with Fred Durst!: Oh yeah? Ya think? :err: I tend to lean towards no.
I don't know or care, they can do whatever the hell they want!: This is true...but, there are so many other better choices to pick...
LIKE THIS ONE! :D
They can do whatever they want, and I will Love them regardless!: I just like the way it sounds. Yep. Do whatever you want guys, I'll always love you for what you've given me already. :)

Originally posted by Opet
Less Growling Vocals: It's the most speculated probably. Right? Although...Mike's said that it doesn't really hurt his throat at all which is almost unbelievable because it does in some way to most all death vocalists

I know if you growl a lot you get noids (??) on ur vocal chords that fuck up ur voice majorly after a while. And I don't want this to happen to Mikael

Use of keyboards: No
Use of techno effects: No
More verse/chorus/verse stlye: Maybe.
More progressive style: Yes.
Less Growling Vocals: Why change a winning concept?
More Whispering Vocals: Whispers? When fitting.
More use of Piano: Nah
Keep them the way they are!!!: Opeth will be opeth, but we don't want them to be stagnant.
They should do a project with Fred Durst!: FUCK NO
I don't know or care, they can do whatever the hell they want!: I care!
They can do whatever they want, and I will Love them regardless!: Not entirely true.

i went for whispers as they are great if they can pull it off, as for the i would love them regardless, well i think that shows that music isn't that important to you. i like a band becasue their songs are to my liking, some bands change and go more poppy, and i just don't like the songs anymore. if i dont like the next opeth album i wont be happy regardless. but i know i wont be dissapointed.:p

Originally posted by _Transparent_
i went for whispers as they are great if they can pull it off, as for the i would love them regardless, well i think that shows that music isn't that important to you. i like a band becasue their songs are to my liking, some bands change and go more poppy, and i just don't like the songs anymore. if i dont like the next opeth album i wont be happy regardless. but i know i wont be dissapointed.:p

The choices in the poll aren't MY views if that's what you are saying. I don't love them regardless. If Opeth Started sucking, I would do to them what I did to metallica a few days ago. I sold all my Metallica CD's.

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan

The choices in the poll aren't MY views if that's what you are saying. I don't love them regardless. If Opeth Started sucking, I would do to them what I did to metallica a few days ago. I sold all my Metallica CD's.

:lol: , yeah i know that, im saying for the people that voted for that. and well done for selling those cds:)

_Transparent_: ...as for the i would love them regardless, well i think that shows that music isn't that important to you.

Jo: Yep that is exactly what it means?

Sure, unless your reason is: "Do whatever you want guys, I'll always love you for what you've given me already." -Myself

:p

Use of keyboards: sure why not...
Use of techno effects: heh this could be intresting...
Change of structure: More verse/chorus/verse noooooo
Change pf Structure: More progressive style umm maybe
Less Growling Vocals: No! growing rulez
More Whispering Vocals: yeah why not
More use of Piano: sure
Keep them the way they are!!! nah
They should do a project with Fred Durst! who?
I don't know or care, they can do whatever the hell they want!: i care since they are my favourite band!
They can do whatever they want, and I will Love them regardless! no, if they became a boy-band (heh yeah right) i won't like them anymore, but i'll still like the old stuff

(this is a repeat of a previous post, as this thread is much better suited to the subject)

Personally, I'd love it if Mikael extended opeth (in the studio) by adding more musicians, more bizzare instruments which experiment and accent that signiture opeth sound, and even different singers (like maybe a very sweet girl voice working with/against the growls). Maybe even orchestral arrangements. The possibilities are endless. That would be simply insane. Metal needs to be taken to such new heights of diversity and opeth are just the guys to do it.

Fortuantely, I think opeth have grown in popularity so much at this point and they have such open-minded fans that such experimentation would be welcome. Of course, they wouldn't be able to pull off such tunes live, but what the hell, anything is worth the range of musical exploration which I firmly believe Mikael and opeth are capable of. Above all, it has to remain true to Opeth, and I think it always will, no matter how completely fucked they get.

Mikael, I hope you're reading this. I'm pretty sure you are.

Satori

Use of keyboards: NOOOOOOOoooooooooooo.
More use of Piano: Mmmm! I love the piano parts. Eerie feelings!

Hmmm. I find a huge paradox here. IMO Piano is just one form of keyboards. It is strange you can't get "eerie feelings" from other keyboards.

-Villain (np: Dewian - "In Profane Uncast the Circle of Wiccan" - talk about stupid long black metal song-titles, huh! :p )

_Transparent_: ...as for the i would love them regardless, well i think that shows that music isn't that important to you.

Jo: Yep that is exactly what it means?

Sure, unless your reason is: "Do whatever you want guys, I'll always love you for what you've given me already." -Myself

:p

yeah thats absolutely right:)