What sort of pick do you use and why?

I use the Jazz III black picks, started with normal picks, well normal size, friend had some Jazz III, tried em out, took a while to get used to but now thats all I use, I can pick much better with them...

Not really. Someone with good technique can get a lot of mileage out of their fingers. Not the best for heavy riffing obviously, but for melodies and solos, hybrid picking is a ridiculously useful technique and is way underrrated/underused.

Yeah, I was mainly talking about riffing. When I hear people riff with their nails, it doesn't even sound like picking. It just sounds like a weird scratching.

Dunlop tortex jazz M3
They're about 0.9 mm, sharp. I like the feel and the grip. I plan on trying thicker picks soon...still I'm perfectly happy with those...
Oh and I bought a MJR pick today :kickass:

Dunlop tortex jazz M3
They're about 0.9 mm, sharp. I like the feel and the grip. I plan on trying thicker picks soon...still I'm perfectly happy with those...
Oh and I bought a MJR pick today :kickass:

Cool, can you tell us how thick it is?

3mm Big Stubbies, ultra thick, excellent for sweeping and alt picking, very smooth, and then don't slip out of my fingers like some others do...

3mm??? Thats fucking MASSIVE. I used to use fairly thick picks, until I realised that I could get a more defined sound with the thinner ones.

I use 0.6mm Dunlop Tortex picks. They are at the crossover point between flexy and solid..... so they are thin enough to play well defined notes but also thick enough to hold mostly solid. They have the best grip ever too. I can have wet hands and I still won't lose my pick.

Try using a Shamisen pick :p.

nakajima_1.jpg

Dunlop Jazz III XL's, they have that point so the notes are clear and defined, and they're thick enough to get a "middy" tone. Also, the Xl's ones help me dig into the strings better than the smaller ones.

i use the Jim Dunlop 3.0mm stubbys

i also get a soldering iron and put horizontal grooves on one side (for my thumb) and vertical grooves on the other (for my pointer) for grip and it seriously does not move at all.

Kinda weird but I may need to try something like that.
I do experience some 'moving-pick' problems at times, though not that often.