What was the first Symphony X song that you heard?

I was a contestant at a talent show by my school community. Just hangin' out with my bandmates, and some guy with long hair gave our doublebass player (no not the drums, the big acoustic bass) a burned copy of Images & Words (I already knew about DT). My bandmate said: 'damn I forgot my Symphony X cd, I'll give it to ya soon'. The name ringed a bell, I thought it was a cool name so I listened to some samples of the V album @ Amazon. The first I listened to was Evolution and hell I was blown away.

inferno. i downloaded it the 11 february this year at 7:45 AM (thats an odd time isnt it?). however i wasnt on the hook until some weeks later.

TDW:
For me it all started with "Of sins and shadows" , still one of my fav tracks with all the diversity and multitracked vocals going on.

Evil Ernie:
BTW Sins and Shadows is in my opinion one of the best songs ever written, in my top 5 without a doubt. Remarquable

acctually, these has been my thoughts the last four weeks.

i remember i was talking to one of my friends over the phone about what kinda of music we were into. i was shootin off a bunch of different music styles, songs, and bands. he said something like, "some of those songs and bands are ok i guess, but i really only have 2 favorite bands." i asked him what they were and he said Dream Theater and Symphony X. i listened to a song of Dream Theater first. i remember thinking their name was pretty cool. the song was Glass Prison. something that was very new to me. i wasn't really a metal fan, not cause i didn't like the sound, just cause no one around me listend to it and i wasn't familar with any metal. he didn't think i would like it cause of that reason and because i am a girl (and i think a lot of us know what kind of crap many girls listen to) but anyways, on with my story...so i was pretty into this Dream Theater band so i asked about that other band he talked about...."Symphony something....oh yeah, Symphony X, thats a pretty bad ass name". he told me a little about what some of their songs were about. The Odyssey, Atlantis, dragons, knights, FANTASY! after he told me about some of that i knew i was in love. i had never heard the music, but i remember thinking "man, if they can write songs about that kinda stuff then the music must be something amazing and different" i had never before heard of a band writing songs about fantasy! wow! so the first song i listened to was Fallen. when i heard the very beginning of the song i was already impressed. it was like nothing i had ever heard before, not being a big metal fan and all. when the guitar kicked in it blew me away, a little better then the punk music i listen to then :loco:. then when Russ kicked in, wow, it was one of the most beautiful voices i had ever heard. i love his voice, i think its perfect (perhaps a slight step up from LaBrie ;) ) so from that point on it was like i couldn't get enough SX. and my love for metal grew. now its pretty much all i listen to. damn, didn't mean for that to be so long, but it truly was a turning point in my life.

wicked34 said:
"man, if they can write songs about that kinda stuff then the music must be something amazing and different" i had never before heard of a band writing songs about fantasy! wow!

I hope you've since discovered Blind Guardian if you like that sort of lyrical stuff :)

Of Sins and Shadows was the first song I ever heard. I downloaded it off Kazaa after my prog loving friend suggested it to me. That was back when I was strictly death/power/black metal, he was trying to convert me to the world of technical wankery :lol: . He told me Symphony X was right up my ally, because he knew I liked classical music soundtracks, and combine that kind of stuff with metal and it rules. Glad to say I got into Prog and that lead to a bunch of other cool bands I listen to now, and opened up my mind a little more to different music.

It must've been early 2003, probably between january and march that somebody at some forum recommended to me to listen to "Pharaoh" by Symphony X. When I first heard it the guitar tone kinda hurt my ears for some reason, and back then I was still listening to metal, also alot ot mainstream radio stuff as well. It was an ok song at first, but it sure grew on me and I loved the interlude with the fast guitar and double bass.

After listening to that song, I downloaded a few more songs such as "The Eyes Of Medusa," and "Sea Of Lies" but I still wasn't hooked, nor did I buy any cds of their music yet. Later in the year, probably during the fall of 2003, I heard "Inferno" and finally I felt like getting their cd, so I went out and bought the Odyssey and man was I hooked. It was my favorite album and they immediately became one of my favorite bands, besides Opeth and Metallica.

It's now August 2004, hasn't even been a year since I purchased The Oddysey, and I have every single Symphony X cd, except Romeo's Dark Chapter, and "Prelude To The Millennium" if you count those. To sum it up, Symphony X is AMAZING.

The first song I heard was "Inferno", from a borrowed copy of "The Oddyssey", in December of 2002. I saw the band in concert the next day with Blind Guardian at the Key Club in Los Angeles. The only song I really remember from that show, however, was "Wicked", and it definitely lived up to its name.

Yngvai X said:
I hope you've since discovered Blind Guardian if you like that sort of lyrical stuff :)

yup, good stuff. symphony x opened me to the world of metal. before them i sadly didn't even know music like this existed. now i spend a lot of my free time checkin out new bands, many i heard from this very forum. :headbang:

yup, good stuff. symphony x opened me to the world of metal. before them i sadly didn't even know music like this existed. now i spend a lot of my free time checkin out new bands, many i heard from this very forum.

its the same for me. Before Symphony X I hadnt heard much metal at all (besides growing up on some metal bands), I listened to mostly mainstream stuff. But coming to this forum opened me up to so much, and still does, and turned me completely metal. Thats why I dont automatically diss someone for listening to mainstream music, because alot of the time, people just have never been given the opportunity to find themselves in this world, and once that door is opened, they never look back.

Of Sins and Shadows, as I took a chance buying TDWOT (in 1997) from my prog supplier. I like the song as well as Out of the Ashes but the rest of the album didn't stick until about 4 months later!! Totally different man now.