What was the first Symphony X song that you heard?

I remember my friend told me to download evolution. Right after I heard it, I went to the store and bought V.

Saw an ad for TIO saying something like "a MUST for DT fans". Being a DT fan at that time, I went to a nearby store and asked to listen to it and was instantly blown away by Smoke and Mirrors.

Absinthe and Rue. A buddy/ex-co worker took it upon himself to "educate" me about prog. I had been into Spock's Beard and Dream Theater for years, but one day he started spouting off all these obscure bands and I asked, "who"? I swear he has burned around 20 cd's for me with various prog bands. Symphony X definitely stuck out. It was like opening Pandora's Box; suddenly my thirst for deep music with virtuosity was being satiated. I was introduced to this whole new world away from the marketing bullshit. It was nice to finally pull my head out of Vai, Petrucci, Hetfield and Van Halen and experience something new.

My first was "Sea Of Lies"... I had just discovered Impulse Records in Illinois (either on the net or in a mag, don't remember)... at this point the only 'progmetal' band I was into was DT, I've been a metalhead since I heard Kiss in 1977 but was mostly into the 80's style stuff cause that's all I knew other than the radio crap of the 90's like Pearl Jam or Nirvana. So I called the guy up cause most of the bands he had listed in his catalog I'd never heard of... told him what I liked and the first thing out of his mouth was "have you heard Symphony X?" I said nope, he put it on and held the phone up to the cd player. Needless to say I ordered that and TiO immediately... this was like 98 or so I think. He also played me Stratovarius, and Vanden Plas which got ordered immediately as well. I've been hooked ever since and "Sea Of Lies" is still one of my favorite SyX tunes. V is probably my favorite cd from them all around.

Smoke and Mirrors

Wasn't TOO thrilled at first, so I downloaded Of Sins and Shadow (both from YtseJim's old site, Music In Progress...which is where I discovered Vanden Plas, Pain of Salvation and others). I was hooked and purchased the first SymX album I could find, V.

SilentRealm said:
its the same for me. Before Symphony X I hadnt heard much metal at all (besides growing up on some metal bands), I listened to mostly mainstream stuff. But coming to this forum opened me up to so much, and still does, and turned me completely metal. Thats why I dont automatically diss someone for listening to mainstream music, because alot of the time, people just have never been given the opportunity to find themselves in this world, and once that door is opened, they never look back.

i agree. i just never knew music like this existed before i was intruduced to symphony x. now i don't know how i ever did with out it. i feel like this really is my kind of music, what i've always kinda been looking for and waiting for, i just had no idea what that was untill i found it.