Whats everyone listening to at the moment?

Clarky said:
ahh obviously u aint too aware of music of nile
but nile isnt just flat chat speed picking
listen to them, they have a lot of time changes with a lot of slow atmospheric parts. they aint just a flat chat 45minutes of speed picking band.

have a look at the guitar arrangements in nile, look at the tab. Morbid is a good band, and trey is a god, but on the technical level nile wipe morbid, their musical writing skill is emense.

Futhermore black seeds of vengence and in their darkened shrins, the production was produced that way, they wanted a raw feeling to the album, it relates back to the atmosphere they are creating.

But if u listen to catacombs the production is heaps different, it sounds really awesome, and is polished but has a raw edge.

ALSO, pete sandoval is a good drummer, he is fucking good, but everyone knows he is known for his feet, he has fast as fuck feet, but on a all round drumming sense, there are many better out there.

BUT pete hammoura totally kicks the motherfucking crap out of pete, his hands and feet are awesome, his hands are much faster, but he is alot more creative with his beats. And yes was forced from the band through shoulder injury, but tony who has replaced him is just as good.

To dissmiss nile as just a flat chat mess and speed picking band is an extremely narrow minded point of view, if you took the time to listen to their music in depth and have a look at the musical arrangements and tabs, u will see that they are MUCH MUCH more than what u make them out to be.

As i said before i am a massive massive morbid fan for ages, but u really cant compare these two bands, its just not really practical. To say nile have no ability is just stupid, no offence, but the ability of nile could rip morbid 2x over..

Well well, where to start :D How about at the beginning? :D (Luckily im bored and thus have plenty of time to type whilst awaiting dinner...)

I went and bought Black Seeds Of Vengeance, as the hype on Nile was huge, so I HAVE heard plenty of them, and ive listened to it 6 or 7 times as well to give it a chance.

The slow atmospheric parts are chanting, or drums and the occasional egyptian instrument, and they are almost all segues into proper songs. So they have 2 switches, spooky and scary and blindingly fast, thats it.

I cant believe you still think Nile are more accomplished musicians, MA uses strange chords, bizarre voicings and very weird modes and scales. MA covers all aspects of guitar playing, harmonics, slow sabbathy stuff, hyper fast thrash, acoustic parts, time changes and octaves/diads and all other points in between. I have been going through the tabs available for their stuff, and I cannot for the life of me work out how you think the guitarists in Nile even approach that. Im not saying the guys in Nile are not good at what they do, im saying MA leaves them for DEAD technically when it comes to musicianship.

They went out of their way to produce the albums like that? My opinion of them just dropped even further. "Old school" and "raw" are 2 adjectives people use to describe shithouse production. Theres no excuse for it in this day and age. It sounds all muffled, and the guitar tone has no definition and is very muddy. The snare is almost non existant insome of the songs, they must have mixed the tapes with f**king concrete or something.

Pete is great, Dave Lombardo is still my favourite drummer, but Pete writes great drumming parts, so in addition to being tecnhically extremely good, you can concentrate on listening to the drums and still not be bored by the album (just like with Dave Lombardo). The Nile guy blastbeats the entire time, and with production like mud that doesnt sound so great, or very interesting.

As I said, I have listened to their stuff, and they do NOT impress me on any level except lyrics (which you cannot understand) and the instrumental segues. I really cant believe anyone is arguing with me about it, go put on Blessed Are The Sick then any Nile album, the difference is MASSIVE, structurally, tecnhically and songwriting wise.

Goreripper said:
Morbid Angel is death metal spawn. Face it.

So Metallica is thrash metal now? Wait, no they arent... Bands and genres change over time, to suggest Morbid Angel belong in the same genre as Nile when they are MARKEDLY different bands in terms of sound is ridiculous, especially when basing that on the fact that they were termed death metal in 1989 when the genre was born.

Woah! I quite like Nile........ :)

If you want top-notch death metal, have a listen to At The Gates or Death, Spawnosovic.

Winmar said:
Woah! I quite like Nile........ :)

If you want top-notch death metal, have a listen to At The Gates or Death, Spawnosovic.

I have The Sound Of Perseverance by Death and its quite goodish, but I havent heard At The Gates, whats their best cd?

obviously u havnt taken ttoo much notice of nile
i have a few live sets of theirs bootlegs
and the drummer just dosent blast all the time
some of his beats are amazing, in off time
he does backwards blasts thrash beats and even puts in weird cymbal fills/rolls
also have a look at the guitarists play, they have solid riffage as well as fret tapping riffs (just not confined to solos) and if u listen to alot of the nile demos as well as the newer release
alot of the slower more atmospheric stuff does have a strong drum/chant influence, but there is plenty of slower guitar riffs and time signature changes, as well as heaps of subtle layered guitar ambeince.
Futhermore cheif spires played alot of the bone flutes and traditional eygptian instruments in the first 2 full length nile albums.

Spiff said:
Is At the Gates the band that had the singer from The Crown? The Crown's "Crowned in Terror" is one of the best CDs of 2002.

Yes Spiffy... oh and they also had the bassist and guitarist of The Haunted... did I mention One Kill Wonder is album of the year??? :)

Crowned In Terror is a mighty fine album too!

I saw The Haunted's CD today but I haven't heard any of their stuff. If it's melodic death metal then just say so and I'll buy it tomorrow. :) But if it's generic death metal where all the songs sound the same then just move along.

Spiff said:
I saw The Haunted's CD today but I haven't heard any of their stuff. If it's melodic death metal then just say so and I'll buy it tomorrow. :) But if it's generic death metal where all the songs sound the same then just move along.

It's not really either... it's thrash with a melodic death metal edge :headbang:

Cooperman said:
It's not really either... it's thrash with a melodic death metal edge :headbang:

coops have u heard LockUp??
its got thomas lindeberg ex at the gates vocalist
nik barker - dimmu drummer
and 2 guys from napalm death

its sorta like, thrashy swedish stuff, with a twist of melodic death, and a touch of grindcore riffage

definatly worth checking out
try get your hands on the album Hate Breeds Suffering

Been listening too :
Dio : Killing the Dragon
Sabbath : Past Lives
Iced Earth: Something wicked comes this way .
Sabbath : Live in Lund Sweden (Bootleg arounf 1977 )
Deep Purple : Machine Head.

hmmmmmm have been listening too
Biohazard- Kill or be Killed
Budgie- Budgie
3RD Strike- Lost Angel
The Clash- London Calling
hatebreed- Perserverance
Sepultura- Under a Pale Grey Sky
American Headcharge- The war of Art
Mudvayne- whatever that new one is called