Whats everyone listening to at the moment?

At The Gates' best album is Slaughter of the Soul, which just happens to be just about the best album ever recorded by anyone! Great guitar work....killer riffs and solos, and tight as fuck playing all round. Adrian Erlandsson, their drummer, also played in The Haunted on the first album, but left to join Cradle of Filth.

The new Haunted album is being released as a ltd edition, isn't it? If so, I'd obviously rather get that than the normal version, as long as it's not a gay digipak.

My favourite Death album is Symbolic - pretty much a perfect album. You've gotta give that one a go too.

spawn said:
So Metallica is thrash metal now? Wait, no they arent... Bands and genres change over time, to suggest Morbid Angel belong in the same genre as Nile when they are MARKEDLY different bands in terms of sound is ridiculous, especially when basing that on the fact that they were termed death metal in 1989 when the genre was born.

Metallica's '80s stuff still is thrash metal! Band's genres don't change over time. They evolve as time goes on, but if an album was called "thrash metal" when it came out, it's a thrash metal album forever.

So using that as a guideline, Morbid Angel are death metal whether they are different to newer death metal bands or not. They were death metal when they started, and they still are. Nile are a much newer death metal band than Morbid Angel so of course they are going to sound different.

Put it this way Spawny... is '80s Anthrax thrash metal? Yes it is. Are Slayer thrash metal? Yes they are. Do these bands sound alike? Hell no, not at all!!!! But they are both thrash metal. Just like how Morbid Angel and Nile sound different but are both death metal bands.

Reactions: Lord Tim
The Trooper said:
Metallica's '80s stuff still is thrash metal! Band's genres don't change over time. They evolve as time goes on, but if an album was called "thrash metal" when it came out, it's a thrash metal album forever.

So using that as a guideline, Morbid Angel are death metal whether they are different to newer death metal bands or not. They were death metal when they started, and they still are. Nile are a much newer death metal band than Morbid Angel so of course they are going to sound different.

Put it this way Spawny... is '80s Anthrax thrash metal? Yes it is. Are Slayer thrash metal? Yes they are. Do these bands sound alike? Hell no, not at all!!!! But they are both thrash metal. Just like how Morbid Angel and Nile sound different but are both death metal bands.

The difference between Anthrax and Slayer is not huge, you can tell they belong in the same genre, the difference between Morbid Angel and Nile is MASSIVE, go buy a Nile album and go buy a Morbid Angel album and you will understand what I mean.

You are basing your opinion on hearsay as im pretty sure you dont own albums from either band Troops :)

I've heard about 23650362052 Morbid Angel albums coz alot of my friends mainly listen to death metal and it's ALWAYS on at parties, and I've also heard Nile.

Death metal is a very large genre. There are bands like In Flames and Arch Enemy who are a melodic death metal, then there are the bands like Disgorge who are nothing but brutal. They all fall under the death metal umbrella though. Morbid Angel play a classic old school sounding death metal and Nile play a more brutal & technical modern sounding death metal.

Face it Spawny, Morbid Angel are death metal. I don't think there is a person in the world besides you who wouldn't call them death metal. They are one of the main pioneers of death metal!

The Trooper said:

Troops is positively right. Death metal is as diverse a sub-genre as metal is a genre. Morbid Angel, Death, Obituary, Possessed and Deicide are as much death metal now as they were when they invented the genre in the late 1980s. Just as bands like Entombed, Grave, Unleashed and Dismember are death metal. They're different from the Florida bands, but they're still death the same way that other Swedish bands like In Flames, At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity and Gardenian are death metal. Then there's the more brutal bands that mix death metal with grind (sometimes known as grindcore death or simply "brutal" death metal, or BDM for short), and hence you have bands like Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, Nile, Deeds of Flesh and a myriad of other similar acts. Then there's bands like Cynic and Atheist who mix death metal with jazz and ambience. Death metal is a vast pool of styles, just like metal itself.

Everyone in this thread is starting to sound like Trent.

"It's not brutal sleazy grind core 80's thrash speed melodic old school cock rock death metal, it's brutal sleazy grind core 80's thrash speed melodic old school cock rock death metal with atmospheric symphonic blast beats and chants"

For me, there are only two main genres anyway. "Stuff I Like" and "Stuff I Don't Like".

There is a sub-genre called "Stuff I Haven't Heard", but that usually falls into one of the two main categories.

Does anyone know of a good "Stuff Phlog Likes" store anywhere?

phlogiston said:
Everyone in this thread is starting to sound like Trent.

"It's not brutal sleazy grind core 80's thrash speed melodic old school cock rock death metal, it's brutal sleazy grind core 80's thrash speed melodic old school cock rock death metal with atmospheric symphonic blast beats and chants"

:D

Actually, I'm just trying to point out to spawn that he's wrong. :yuk:

Spawn just doesn't wanna admit that he likes a death metal band so he's trying to convince himself that they aren't death metal ;)

phlogiston said:
What's a blast beat anyway?

Basically when the drummer goes all Animal from the Muppets on the drums. Thats the technical term anyway, I dont know how to put it in laymans terms :)

The Trooper said:
Spawn just doesn't wanna admit that he likes a death metal band so he's trying to convince himself that they aren't death metal ;)

I like Vader (well the one album I bought yesterday :D ) and they are death metal, you guys are all just lazy so you lump Morbid Angel in with death metal. If you cant see the huge difference between a Nile album and a Morbid Angel album, there is no hope for you. No hope at all :D

Just because they were the pioneers of a genre doesnt mean they still belong in it when bands like Nile who are considered death metal today sound NOTHING like Morbid Angel. Death metal backed itself into a corner with ever increasing tempos and lower growling. MA never did that, and always had many different elements to their music.

Goreripper: Death metal is not that diversified (not that theres anything wrong with that). Fans of the genre say "Well this guy sings in a bit more of a black metal style than this death metal vocal guy, even though the music is the same, WOW NEW GENRE!" which is quite silly.

spawn death metal is one of the widest metal genres going around (that and black metal).Another Example
Vader and Lividity
both death metal bands, but they sound VERY DIFFERENT to each other, but they are still both considered death metal.

And just because the face of death metal has changed recently with more commericial bands like cannibal coprse which have changed the look and feel and sound of death metal, still dosent mean that bands like morbid angel that were like death metal "back in the day" still aint death metal.

Another example, i am in a death metal band myself, we write stuff similar to things like Deeds of Flesh and Yattering, say in 6-7 years there come a few new death metal bands around, and they sound vastly different to what we are writing and playing...does that mean that we are no longer a death metal band...i think not.

And spawn as to your retort directed to gore, once again your kinda wrong, death metal is a divese genre, thus combining many different influences and styles to create something new and original. So really if the singer has a bit more of a black edge to his vocals, and the overal sound of the music is alot darker than death metal etc, then youve got a situation where u can class it as blackened death metal, its basically just hybrid genres, its for classification purposes to give people a better idea of what a band is like, if your gonna go, their a death metal band, most death metal fans are gonna go...GREAT that tells you alot...

i mean think about it
death/grind, death/gore, blackened death, thrashy death, oldschool death, brutal death...
just to name a few..

fear the death metal junkie

spawn said:
Basically when the drummer goes all Animal from the Muppets on the drums. Thats the technical term anyway, I dont know how to put it in laymans terms :)

blast beat
generally started out as
when the drumemr hits the snare and the ride, or the snare and the hi hat at the same time.

overtime it has become a thing that has become known in death and black metal, for its intense and sometimes insane speed, but of late alot of blasts have become more of a technical beat, with backwards blasts as well as off time cymbals being encorperated into the blast beat itself.

Clarky said:
spawn death metal is one of the widest metal genres going around (that and black metal).Another Example
Vader and Lividity
both death metal bands, but they sound VERY DIFFERENT to each other, but they are still both considered death metal.

Its not. Seriously. Neither is power metal, or thrash or whatever. All bands love to say they take influences from everyone and that they dont think their music should be labeled, but they need to snap the f**k out of it :D

Death metal is not a wide ranging genre, lose the growly vocals, its not death metal, lose the blast beats its not black/death metal, lose the raspy vocals, its not black metal and so on. Death metal fans just seem to want to try and point out every tiny little difference in the bands for some reason, and then it gets into the genre game of "black death with a tingoe of melodic thrash but with a twist of grind" all because the singer sings a little lower or something than another band.

Its also worth pointing out I was saying MA doesnt belong in the same genre as Nile, not that ALL death metal is bad, we seem to be sidetracked :D

Spawny nobody said we can't see the difference between Morbid Angel and Nile. There is a huge difference. But they are both death metal!!!!

Do Iron Maiden sound like Accept?? Not at all. But they are both heavy metal. Do Overkill sound like Kreator? Not at all. But they are both thrash metal. Do AC/DC sound like Dokken? Not at all. But they are both hard rock. Do Rhapsody sound like Sonata Arctica? Not at all. But they are both power metal.

Get the point? If all bands in each genre sounded the same, music would suck. They just have common elements in their music.

As I said before, if an album was considered death metal when it was released, it is always a death metal album. Does this mean "Kill 'Em All" isn't a thrash album anymore because thrash has evolved? Is "The Number Of The Beast" no longer heavy metal because heavy metal albums today sound different?

Spawny you make absolutely no sense sometimes. There can be 8710235 people telling you sometihng really clearly and you get stuck on one little point of your own and can't see how obvious it is that the others are right lol.