Whats everyone listening to at the moment?

Come on! Just listen to it, as if Jeff wasnt trying to write the next Talk Dirty To Me!

Strapping Young Lad - Strapping Young Lad (picked it up on saturday, fav tracks so far are "Last Minutes" and "Force Fed")
Entombed - Uprising (got this when i got the new SYL, its FUCKING A, i'd say that Entombed are now in my top 10)
Slayer - South Of Heaven (had this for about 2-3 months {thanks to Aussie Outlaw} its just such an awesome album, probably ahead of Seasons but behind RIB)

btw

:devil:NILE:devil:
:Shedevil:

i fucking love Nile, i only have one album so far but thats because im a lazy bastard, i usually buy 1-2 albums by one band and then move onto another band so i can hear everysingle type of metal, i only buy more than 2 albums if the band is special ala Devin Townsend's bands & Slayer

OK, I've now listen to some Morbid Angel and some Nile, and can now weigh into this debate.

Spawny's right, MA and Nile are in different genres. MA is Death Metal. Nile is just silly.

From what I've heard anyway Morbid Angel are much more death metal sounding than Nile.

Spawny, on the VVI thing again.... you just misunderstood me again.

VVI does not push more boundaries, fast guitar playing cannot stand up to perhaps the greatest metal album ever recorded.

This is nothing to do with what is the greatest of the 2 albums.... I mean I LOVE Slave To The Grind. I think Slave To The Grind possibly is a better album (although I prefer VVI).

But VVI pushes more boundaries musically. Of course fast guitar playing can't stand up to great songs. I never said it did. But it was a boundary that Vinnie pushed. Seriously talking to you is like banging your head against a brick wall... you get nowhere!!!!

You'd have to be so stupid to have misunderstood what I'd said!!!! I said, extreme means pushing boundaries, and REGARDLESS of what is better, the first VVI album pushes more boundaries because at that point, NOBODY had ever really gotten near that level of intensity in guitar soloing before, and "VVI" is pretty much a guitar metal album. There is just no breathing space at all in the solos.

Now before you go and misunderstand me AGAIN and say "but thats a bad thing blah blah blah", IM NOT TALKING ABOUT WHAT IS GOOD/BAD OR RIGHT/WRONG. I'm simply saying that it's that element of the VVI album that makes it more extreme.

I never meant it was more extreme in a black/death way lol. But it is a MUSICALLY extreme album.

Slave To The Grind, whether it is better or worse, is nowhere near as musically extreme. I'm not even saying that being extreme is good! I hate most extreme metal... (I think the extreme element on that album works well though). I'd usually much prefer good solid songwriting than extreme musicianship. And that is what Slave To The Grind is, a much more solid album that cares more about songwriting than musicianship which is how it should be!!! See what I mean? You just jump to conclusions as if I'm saying VVI is better. I'm not. I'm saying its more extreme because it pushes more musical boundaries, and that doesn't make it better.

You have absolutely no idea do you? :lol:

Taken from www.morbidangel.com:

"To see past the secure foundations of convention and into an entirely new state of being demands the strength, conviction and true sense of purpose possessed only by a chosen few. They are the innovators, the leaders, the ones who transcend perceived limitations. In their decade-plus reign as death metal's leading creative force, MORBID ANGEL have consistently succeeded in shattering the musical, spiritual and ideological boundaries of extreme music while unquestionably retaining their core element of brutal and inspirational excellence."

and

"Their debut has gone on to be unequivocally acknowledged as one of the most influential death metal albums ever recorded, a whirling vortex of searing anger and unstoppable energy."

and

"In 1993, they reached a milestone within that community by becoming the first and only death metal band to be signed to a major label."

and

"In the year 2000, another death metal masterpiece has been given to the world. Emanating strength with its dynamic and sweeping passages, intensely dark melodicism and intricate percussive flair, 'Gateways To Annihilation' represents all of what was, is and will be - in both death metal and beyond. It is the mirror of the true self. It is the rhythm of existence."

i think maybe you should listen to a bit more death metal to get an education on it before you get yourself into something like this :D

I must agree. I couldn't stand death or black metal myself once, but over time I got to appreciate it and eventually even like it. But again, if you choose not to, if you're going to argue the pros and cons of something, you should have a fairly thorough understanding and appreciation of your subject. And in this case, Mr Spawn, I don't believe you do.

Lets see... I never liked death metal so I thought the best way to give it a fair chance was to buy a cd by whoever is considered to be the best death metal band around today. Thats Nile (whether I think so or not, but they are widely regarded as the best death metal band around).

So I went and PAID for the cd, and gave it more than its fair share of listens. I DONT like it. To put it mildly. Its atrocious stuff.

If I downloaded one song and decided they were crap maybe you 2 would have a leg to stand on, but I have their album, and I know enough about them to know I hate their music.

I bought Revelations by Vader the other day and its MUCH better than the Nile cd.

Yeah nobody said you don't know enough about Nile to make a judgement. They said you don't know enough about death metal in general to form an argument about it lol.

I have all Morbid Angels cds, a couple from Entombed, a Vader one, Demonic by Testament and ive listened to more than a few MP3s of death metal bands (as I asked a whole bunch of people who enjoy that style of music to recommend me some after I like MA) so yes, I do know enough about death metal to form an argument about it :D

The Trooper said:
Yeah nobody said you don't know enough about Nile to make a judgement. They said you don't know enough about death metal in general to form an argument about it lol.

haha trent u make everything so crystal clear
i love it
beats my rambling on, thinking faster and i can type
heh