Whats everyone listening to at the moment?

spawn said:
I have all Morbid Angels cds, a couple from Entombed, a Vader one, Demonic by Testament and ive listened to more than a few MP3s of death metal bands (as I asked a whole bunch of people who enjoy that style of music to recommend me some after I like MA) so yes, I do know enough about death metal to form an argument about it :D

entombed aint really :death metal" either
:lol:

man i like starting things dont i

The Trooper said:
But Spawny, your argument is that one of the defining death metal bands isn't death metal :) That's pretty funny!

No, my argument was that if NILE is considered death metal, Morbid Angel shouldnt be.

spawn said:
Lets see... I never liked death metal so I thought the best way to give it a fair chance was to buy a cd by whoever is considered to be the best death metal band around today. Thats Nile (whether I think so or not, but they are widely regarded as the best death metal band around).

I bought Revelations by Vader the other day and its MUCH better than the Nile cd.

What you should have done is asked someone "Hey, I'm thinking of expanding my listening horizons, can you suggest some death metal bands to ease me into it?" Sure some moron may have said "Go and get the new NILE/Rebaellian/Krisiun/Angel Corpse/etc..." but a more enlightened advisor would have said "You should start by getting into stuff like Vader, Morbid Angel, the first two Fear Factory albums (which I know you have), Death, Obituary... then you can try stuff like Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under, Suffocation..." Just going out and buying a Nile album when you've never heard anything like it before to see what the fuss is about, well... no wonder you don't like it!

Emperor is black metal... Even I know that and I hate most black metal :D

Heavy metal covers metal in all forms, so I dont know what that was meant to prove. Anyway, my comment still stands, Morbid Angel and Nile are so markedly different that if Nile is considered death metal then MA shouldnt be as they sound absolutely nothing alike.

Goreripper said:
What you should have done is asked someone "Hey, I'm thinking of expanding my listening horizons, can you suggest some death metal bands to ease me into it?" Sure some moron may have said "Go and get the new NILE/Rebaellian/Krisiun/Angel Corpse/etc..." but a more enlightened advisor would have said "You should start by getting into stuff like Vader, Morbid Angel, the first two Fear Factory albums (which I know you have), Death, Obituary... then you can try stuff like Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under, Suffocation..." Just going out and buying a Nile album when you've never heard anything like it before to see what the fuss is about, well... no wonder you don't like it!

I did that, and Nile came up with just about everyone :D (Krisiun came up to, but from what im told id think are even worse than Nile probably, so I didnt venture into their territory!)

I dont mind Death, the songs sometimes seem like an exercise in technicality though, rather than just being good songs, but I didnt mind them, and their cover of Painkiller is awesome! :worship:

Vader I just bought a couple of days ago and its not bad either, Obituary I have heard of but not heard their stuff... They have a Best Of though so I might get that as they are probably more in the MA style because they came out in that first wave of bands.

Morbid Angel are more death metal sounding than Nile to me anyway. By that I mean, when I think "Death Metal", its the Morbid Angel sound that comes to mind before Nile's.

First death metal band I got into was Carcass, in 1993 when my mate lent me Heartwork and Necroticism. I haven't look back since. :)

Winmar said:
First death metal band I got into was Carcass, in 1993 when my mate lent me Heartwork and Necroticism. I haven't look back since. :)

did u go see carcass in 1993??

back to the main topic! :)

Im currently listening to

THE AMENTA 'Mictlan' (awesome band from Sydney)
INXS 'Greatest Hits' (Ive been getting into them lately for some reason)
TYRANT EYES 'The Darkest Hour' (cool thrashy/powery stuff without cheese!)
KATAKLYSM 'Shadows And Dust' (awesome Canadian death metal)
POISONBLACK 'Escapextasy' (excellent gothic metal feat. members of Sentenced and Charon)
THE PROVENANCE 'Still At Arms Length' (excellent moving gothic metal)
OPETH 'Deliverance' ( :headbang: )

woopy :p :zzz: :heh: :cool:

Ttam Suahkcab