Whats everyone listening to at the moment?

The Trooper said:
Do Iron Maiden sound like Accept?? Not at all. But they are both heavy metal. Do Overkill sound like Kreator? Not at all. But they are both thrash metal. Do AC/DC sound like Dokken? Not at all. But they are both hard rock. Do Rhapsody sound like Sonata Arctica? Not at all. But they are both power metal.

For the 50th time, the difference between Nile and Morbid Angel is HUGE, MUCH larger than any difference between any of the bands you mentioned.

It doesn't matter how big the difference is though!!!!! That's the point!!!! Both bands work with the elements that define death metal. They just do completely different things with them! Which is how it should be coz its what gives bands their own character. The extent to which the bands sound different is irrelevent.

Anyway, what does Nile have to do with anything anyway??? They are just one death metal band. This is where your argument is really dumb. You're saying that Morbid Angel aren't death metal, because Nile are death metal and the 2 bands don't sound the same.

Well there are 98763205725 other death metal bands out there that Morbid Angel's style is similar to. Nile also sound extremely different to Obituary, Death and Carcass. They sound just as different to those bands as they do to Morbid Angel.

There are probably more death metal bands that sound similar to Morbid Angel than there are that sound similar to Nile in my opinion.

Oh, and for the record, there is NO WAY that Morbid Angel and Nile sound more different from each other than AC/DC and Dokken do HAHAHA!

Nile are pretty much widely considered to be the best death metal band around today, thats why I was mentioning them.

(AC/DC and Dokken? Hard rock and pop metal/hair metal/whatever you call it :) )

Yeah but just because Nile and Morbid Angel are so different doesn't mean Morbid Angel aren't death metal. In Flames and Cannibal Corpse sound more different from each other than Nile and Morbid Angel do yet both are death metal.

Are Morbid Angel so hugely different sounding to Carcass and Obituary? Coz they are both death metal. You just happened to choose one death metal band that sounds very different from them to justify why they aren't death metal, when there are so many other death metal bands that do play a similar style of metal.

Just admit defeat before you say anything else ridiculous ;) :D Just say, "Ok, Morbid Angel are death metal then, but they don't play the same style of death metal as bands such as Nile which I don't like."

Besides, as far as I can tell, part of the reason people do speak so highly of Nile is because they do sound different from your standard death metal band.

Spawn, I dare you to go to a death metal discussion board (or better still, go to a live gig!) and argue that Morbid Angel is not a death metal band. You won't be treated as politely as you have been here. Just so I can further bash my head against the brick wall that is your stubborness to admit defeat:

Morbid Angel = death metal
Nile = death metal
Obituary = death metal
Cannibal Corpse = death metal
At the Gates = death metal
Arch Enemy = death metal
Dying Fetus = death metal
Deicide = death metal
Six Feet Under = death metal
Hate Eternal = death metal
Cynic = death metal

The Trooper said:
Are Morbid Angel so hugely different sounding to Carcass and Obituary?
Carcass and Obituary were there right at the beginning too if im not mistaken, and neither are around anymore. I have Heartwork and it doesnt sound like death metal (or Morbid Angel) to me. I chose Nile because they are the leading death metal band today (so i told anyway).

Spawn, just face it, you're wrong hahaha! Seriously, Morbid Angel are one band who I don't think have EVER been given ANY other label besides "death metal". Every single other person in the metal community cannot be wrong here just because they don't sound like Nile LOL! :lol:

And about that "Carcass and Obitruary were there at the begininng as well" comment, so what?!??! Are you saying that old death metal bands aren't death metal anymore because the genre has evolved? That's ridiculous. Refer to my previous comment from an earlier post.... that would mean Kill 'Em All is no longer a thrash album because thrash has evolved. Albums like Altars Of Madness and Blessed Are The Sick will always be death metal albums no matter how the genre evolves over time, they define the genre in that period.

The Trooper said:
Spawn, just face it, you're wrong hahaha! Seriously, Morbid Angel are one band who I don't think have EVER been given ANY other label besides "death metal". Every single other person in the metal community cannot be wrong here just because they don't sound like Nile LOL! :lol:

And about that "Carcass and Obitruary were there at the begininng as well" comment, so what?!??! Are you saying that old death metal bands aren't death metal anymore because the genre has evolved? That's ridiculous. Refer to my previous comment from an earlier post.... that would mean Kill 'Em All is no longer a thrash album because thrash has evolved. Albums like Altars Of Madness and Blessed Are The Sick will always be death metal albums no matter how the genre evolves over time, they define the genre in that period.

Clarky said it best when I mentioned Heartwork, he said it was melodic death metal, not death metal. If A Nile album is considered death metal (and they are) I dont consider Morbid Angel death metal because they are *nothing* like Nile.

Not a little different.

Not a fair bit different.

Not the same but with harsher vocals.

VERY VERY VERY DIFFERENT.

Morbid Angel is several steps above Nile in all departments, and in my opinion they dont even belong in the same genre. Just because Morbid Angel invented the genre doesnt mean they are still a part of it when other bands who are death metal got confused about the elements in MAs music and simply used the speed and blast beats and pushed that further, forgetting about dynamics and songwriting. Its always about the songs, and Morbid Angel has them, and on a level other bands labeled death metal can only hope to achieve.

(Ill be quite happy if you can name another death metal band just like Morbid Angel, but I doubt there is one...)

I dont know why im typing hte same thing over and over again, I lost all respect for you when you said VVI was more extreme than Slave To The Grind Troops ;)

But the point is, every single person in the entire world considers Morbid Angel to be death metal. Morbid Angel consider themselves death metal. Morbid Angel have never been called anything BUT death metal! HOW ARE THEY NOT DEATH METAL?

And melodic death metal is still death metal anyway. That's like saying melodic hard rock isn't hard rock, or epic power metal isn't power metal lol.

And on the VVI thing hahaha, I think you got "extreme" mixed up with "heavy" which was your mistake. Extreme has NOTHING to do with heaviness. It could be really soft and still be extreme. Extreme means that it pushes boundaries. Slave To The Grind is a top notch awesome album that is very heavy and has great songs and aggression on it, but it doesn't push any boundaries whereas Vinnie Vincent Invasion pushed heaps of boundaries in terms of speed in the guitars, the high pitched vocals and frequencies in the music (made even more grating by the fact that the songs aren't in perfect pitch), and recording a guitar sound that had never really been heard before. Therefore, regardless of what is heavier or better... VVI pushed more boundaries and that is the exact definition of being extreme.

The Trooper said:
And on the VVI thing hahaha, I think you got "extreme" mixed up with "heavy" which was your mistake. Extreme has NOTHING to do with heaviness. It could be really soft and still be extreme. Extreme means that it pushes boundaries. Slave To The Grind is a top notch awesome album that is very heavy and has great songs and aggression on it, but it doesn't push any boundaries whereas Vinnie Vincent Invasion pushed heaps of boundaries in terms of speed in the guitars, the high pitched vocals and frequencies in the music (made even more grating by the fact that the songs aren't in perfect pitch), and recording a guitar sound that had never really been heard before. Therefore, regardless of what is heavier or better... VVI pushed more boundaries and that is the exact definition of being extreme.

VVI does not push more boundaries, fast guitar playing cannot stand up to perhaps the greatest metal album ever recorded. You want to make manlove to Vinnie and so I accept that you are blinded to everything else :D

We will just have to agree to disagree over this and MA :D

(Spiffy, put that baseball bat down!)

spawn said:
Clarky said it best when I mentioned Heartwork, he said it was melodic death metal, not death metal. If A Nile album is considered death metal (and they are) I dont consider Morbid Angel death metal because they are *nothing* like Nile.

Not a little different.

Not a fair bit different.

Not the same but with harsher vocals.

VERY VERY VERY DIFFERENT.

Morbid Angel is several steps above Nile in all departments, and in my opinion they dont even belong in the same genre. Just because Morbid Angel invented the genre doesnt mean they are still a part of it when other bands who are death metal got confused about the elements in MAs music and simply used the speed and blast beats and pushed that further, forgetting about dynamics and songwriting. Its always about the songs, and Morbid Angel has them, and on a level other bands labeled death metal can only hope to achieve.

(Ill be quite happy if you can name another death metal band just like Morbid Angel, but I doubt there is one...)

I dont know why im typing hte same thing over and over again, I lost all respect for you when you said VVI was more extreme than Slave To The Grind Troops ;)

dude you misunderstood me
carcass turned into a melodic death band with teh heartwork album, listen to other melodic death like soilwork or inflames or the crown THEY SOUND TOTALLY DIFFERENT TO EACH OTHER 2 but they are still considered melodic death bands.

MORBID IS DEATH METAL
ONE OF THE CORNERSTONES OF DEATH METAL, and just because death metal has evolved, it dosent mean that Morbid aint death anymore!! omg its not like Alters of Madness magically turned into a thrash album when nile released their first album.

Once a cd is recorded it dont change, unless its remastered or recorded or re-written.

Morbid = Death
end of story

Spawny, I distinctly remember you saying that "Dead Skin Mask" was just a heavier "Bringin' On The Heartbreak". I know you'll deny it though. :)

Clarky said:
Once a cd is recorded it dont change, unless its remastered or recorded or re-written.

Oh! I have the new remastered versions of AOM and BATS, that must be why! :) ;) :D