Whats the deal with Metalcore?

I see what you mean I still fail to see these earlier elements in DD, maybe I should listen more closely.

I think that skydancer is one, if not, their best...

Final resistance!!!! the first track of Damage Done!!!! you can't see itt???? or White noise/Black Silence!!!! just listen it... anyway I understand you... I love how starts Skydancer: Nightfaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall!!!!

Their lyrics are very good, very melancholic and poetic!!!!... I saw them at their Chaos Before New Year show (28/12/2005) in Stockholm... Damn it, I was on the first line screaming with mikael... Punish My Heaven!!!!

I'd say Character is closer to their roots than DD. But meh, I love all of their releases. Even DD. They can't really put out a shitty record. Except for the last track on Enter Suicidal Angels, Archetype. Yuck.

The only released by DT I have are The Gallery, Exposures..., and Character. They're all great :) I really like The Gallery

Sub genres are a matter of a opinion. One person metalcore band are anothers hardcore band. There are clear division when it's stuff like unk and metal but when you get right down to it, genres cross over and overlap.

Fuck genres.
Fuck technicality

Listen to what rocks - Deep Purple, Bob Marley, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Run - DMC, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Opeth, who gives a damn?

hibernal_dream said:
Gothenburg metal is the most generic ever. Throw in some power chords and harmonic lead and you have a song - there's no substance beneath that basic formula. Mayhem and Darkthrone are pioneers and while there are lots of new bands that sound like them you can't blame them for that. I don't see the distinction between them and Emperor/Immortal. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its generic.

Erm, how shall i put it. Darkthrone and Mayhem come off as raw, aggressive, clunky (for want of a better word) music. Immortal, Emperor and Enslaved come across as far more operatic and even folky. I definetly feel there are two very different sides to black metal, one following on from Venom (raw, aggresive) the other following on from Celtic Frost (a lot more, operatic and atmospheric). Although in the case of CF it's just because they were avante garde as hell.

Maybe it's just me who sees this. i'm not sure.

hibernal_dream said:
Mayhem and Darkthrone are pioneers and while there are lots of new bands that sound like them you can't blame them for that. I don't see the distinction between them and Emperor/Immortal.

Poor guy... is Blind :(

hibernal_dream said:
Mayhem and Darkthrone are pioneers and while there are lots of new bands that sound like them you can't blame them for that. I don't see the distinction between them and Emperor/Immortal.

Powers said:
I wouldn't say that, it's just i feel there's a distinction and he feels there isn't.

Do you?

Of course there is a distinction!

Well it appears I have held a very different idea to what Metalcore is to most of you people. Me (and most of the people I know who are into heavy music) have always considered it to be quite a distinct style, taking certain elements of the hardcore and death/thrash metal genres. Some of these elements would include the dry-crunch distortion found in hardcore, many odd-time signitures and wild tempo changes, blastbeats, hardcore-styled breakdowns, often technical playing by the instrumentalists, use of both the death metal roar and hardcore scream/yell, among other things. Bands who use this would include The Red Chord, Between the Buried and Me, 7 Angels 7 Plagues and Cephalic Carnage to name a few. The wierd thing is that most of the people I know have the same idea about Metalcore as me and if you tried to tell them that Killswitch Engage is a Metalcore band, they'd probably think you're completely nuts. It also appears that Metalcore is pretty open to interpretation...cuz I've said it already but I honestly dont see how anyone could possibly see any similarity between BTBAM and Killswitch. I guess now I'm not so baffled at why most people here seem to be very Anti-Metalcore haha.