Whats your favorite genre of metal and why?

J-Ski

Sep 28, 2008
Just explain why and maybe give some examples of the bands you like.Discussion is welcomed.

Thrash Metal

Bands
Artillery
Sodom
Kreator
Metallica
Protector
Toxic Holocaust
Sepultura
Mekong Delta

And a lot more...

It's my favorite genre because of the aggression, speed, harsh comprehensive vocals, and the riffs/melodies.

Overall, black metal is my favourite sub-genre of metal.

However, bands who incorporate synth/keyboards, atmospheric, and gothic elements (or even classical/symphonic elements) would better represent my favourite style of metal. Early Cradle of Filth, early Theatres des Vampires, Bishop of Hexen would be prime examples.

Not completely sure, but I would say heavy metal and power metal possibly.
Iron Maiden
Iced Earth
Manowar
Judas Priest
You get it.

Black metal probably - Examples: (early) Aeternus, (early) Nokturnal Mortum, Mystic Forest, Taake, Blut Aus Nord, Deathspell Omega

It's my favorite 'cause there's a lot of variety to be found in the genre and also it's a genre that conveyes raw emotion like no other.

I'm all over the place and have no distinct favorite genre. The one that's closest to me though is Thrash, the first subgenre I listened to.

Death Metal

Immolation
Possessed
Master
Cianide
Massacre
Dismember
Unleashed
Grave
Entombed
Amorphis
Bolt Thrower
Lord Gore
Brutality
Cemetary
Fondlecorpse
Frightmare
Blood Freak
God Macabre
Gruesome Stuff Relish
Nunslaughter
Winter

Edit: Forgot to add why. I find death metal to captivate that "grave-like" essence while still maintaining a catchy rythmic structure in the songwriting department. Unlike black metal for the most part, it doesn't seem to rely purely on atmosphere though it is usually incorporated (at least in good death metal).

Symphonic Metal

Granted, this isn't one of the major genres of music. Generally, larger genres can be more specified by adding the term "symphonic." But I really think that Symphonic Metal is the best way to describe what I usually enjoy.

A few examples from each genre:

Symphonic Black:
Emperor
Bishop of Hexen
Tvangeste

Symphonic Folk:
Moonsorrow
Turisas

Symphonic Death:
Hollenthon
Therion (old)

Symphonic Gothic:
Virgin Black

Symphonic Power/Heavy:
Kamelot
Rhapsody
Thy Majestie
Therion (new)
Haggard

Don't have a favorite genre. It's all about how good the band is, and that's not limited to any set of genres.

My favorite genres tend to be ones which transport my imagination to realms of spiritual refreshment.

Well i got 2:
Power Metal
Anything Chaotic(Brutal)
Angra
Solefald​
Avantasia
Unexpect​
Blind Guardian
Arsis​
Cage
Dark Funural​
Dark Moor
Deicide​
Demons & Wizards
Immortal​
Dragonforce
Limbonic Right​
Edguy
Nile​
Galloglass
Psycroptic​
Hammerfall
Sympothy​
Heavenly
Tvangeste​
Helloween
Vesperion Sorrow​
Jag Panzer
Vital Remains​
Kamelot
Diabolical Masquerede​
Luca Turilli
Manowar
Rhapsody
Sonata Arctica

However every other genre is tied for 2nd such as Thrash, Folk, Viking, Heavy, Progressive, Neo-Classical, and Speed.

That's hard to answer.

My favorite bands come from several different sub genres.

Nevermore
Judas Priest
Solitude Aeturnus
Running Wild
Carcass
Nortt

I'm all over the board. I guess if I absolutely had to make a choice, Power Metal would be it followed by Doom.