Whats your favorite genre of metal and why?

I will say that I like a lot of different shit, but I have not found much Doom Metal that tickled my sack. All the stuff I've heard has been slow & repetitive & I'm a big nutjob for guitar solos & intricate song structure.

Melodic Death Metal because what's better than brutality and harmony. Bands such as Amon Amarth, Evocation, Dark Tranquility, Gates of Ishtar, Arsis, At The gates, these are my favorite bands

Melodic Death Metal because what's better than brutality and harmony. Bands such as Amon Amarth, Evocation, Dark Tranquility, Gates of Ishtar, Arsis, At The gates, these are my favorite bands

I'm really surprised... That's not the first time I've heard Arsis being referred to as Melodic Death Metal on these boards. I've heard a lot of Melodeath & to my ears they have ZERO in common with any Melodeath band. They are Technical Death Metal, but I'm not metal scholar :err:

I'm really surprised... That's not the first time I've heard Arsis being referred to as Melodic Death Metal on these boards. I've heard a lot of Melodeath & to my ears they have ZERO in common with any Melodeath band. They are Technical Death Metal, but I'm not metal scholar :err:

True they also "possess complex riffs and solos that are similar to those found in both melodic and technical death metal" from wikipedia but listen too these songs "we are Nightmare" and "A Diamond for disease"

Their first album, (coincidentally the only thing even moderately fucking listenable by them, R.I.P.) was definitely melodic death metal.

I think they fit in both genres, personally.
Their first album, (coincidentally the only thing even moderately fucking listenable by them, R.I.P.) was definitely melodic death metal.

The Diamond For Disease EP is also good. I'd go so far as to say that it's better than A Celebration of Guilt (albeit only slightly).

I think most of their shit is middle of the road, but I like their newest one best. ADFD is actually the only thing by them I can totally not get into.

Black metal, because it's minimal, messy, and malicious. I also enjoy blistering speed, harsh feelings, and dark atmosphere over musicianship most of the time, and the genre is full of that.

Death metal, because it covers a wide range of musical and lyrical themes, and the musicianship is often superb.

Thrash Metal - Because it's energetic and excites me without being too violent

And once it was Black Metal, because it reflected my personality and emotions in that period: mysanthropy, hate and so on.

really hard for me to pick just the one genre,over the years i've loved them all basically,dunno,love the brutal fullon stuff like SadX,Conqueror and also love Morbid Angel,all the way to Power Metal,damn hard to pick one,but over the last few years it's been more epic/power trad metal

It's impossible to pick a favorite subgenre for me, because I pick a style to listen to depending on my mood. I can say that there are certain genres that I think are incompatible with me tho.

I LOVE these subgenres
American Power, Trad-Doom, Speed(Savage Grace, ADX, Su Ta Gar, etc)
Thrash, Death(esp. swedish death), Folk, and Traditional metal

I can't stand the majority of these
black, brutal, core, groove, euro-power, or math/tech.

Death Metal easily.

Thrash Metal a close second.

because they kick ass!:headbang:

I pretty much like all the really slow sludgy stuff, but wouldn't necessarily say I'm primarily into doom metal or sludge metal. It just has to combine big riffs with some melody.

I have to say I can't stand all that Euro power metal stuff. Ugh.

I don't think I can pin down any certain genre, but I really like the shit where you can tell the band involved has put all their effort into making the most awesome, energetic metal they can.

My Favourite bands include:

Dream Theater
Ensiferum
Dimmu Borgir
Children of Bodom
Vader
Eluveitie
Turisas

I guess I primarily listen to a mixture of Folk, Death, and Black metal.

All metal is good though, for different reasons. As long as it has that metal ballsiness I will listen to it.