Whats your favorite genre of metal and why?

I really seem to enjoy thrash because of the speed and how the vocals are.I also really like black and death as well.

I really seem to enjoy thrash because of the speed and how the vocals are.I also really like black and death as well.

One of the words that does come to my mind when thinking of thrash is speed, which is kinda odd as BM/DM generally go way faster.

It goes in this order for me:

Death Metal
Heavy Metal
Black Metal
Doom Metal
Thrash Metal
Power Metal

I like all sub-genres of metal but I'm a little more nitpicky about power metal.

I pretty much like any type of metal as long as its a good band... however.... I'm not a big fan of death metal because the cookie monster vocals bother me, and I find black metal doesn't do anything for me.

Black metal - because usually it has deep meaning and it's music and vocals feed my soul.
Death and Thrash metal - because it's angry and 'insolent' and it gives me energy and makes me somewhat excited.
Doom metal - I can't really find a reason why, I just like it.

Black metal easily is my favorite genre. Though death metal was right up there for a while. It's my favorite because it's so varied, so much real, raw, and honest emotion, no real limits. It's dark, evil, depressing, thrilling, often all at once.

Favorite bands include Krohm, Dodsferd, Darkthrone, Immortal, Emperor, I Shalt Become, Marduk, Velvet Cacoon, Xasthur, Leviathan.

Traditional Doom: Candlemass, Reverend Bizarre, Pentagram, The Gates of Slumber, Warning, The Obsessed, Trouble, etc.

There are also several bands that I have recently listened to and enjoyed, but have not yet acquired any of their albums (waiting for a couple of them to arrive before I order more): Mirror of Deception, Orodruin, Apostle of Solitude, Penance, The Lamp of Thoth, Spiritus Mortis, Solstice.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I can really describe what I like about this music without sounding like an idiot, but I'll try anyway: There's something about the genre that seems so limitless. It can have so much beauty and emotion in it, and it can also sound "evil", profane, heavy, etc...

I'm sure someone who is smart about music could do a much better job there. :erk:

Death Metal - It's fast, it's brutal, it's in your face, and it's blasphemous. I really love the drumming.
Thrash Metal - Thrash is... thrash. It's a necessary part of any metalhead's diet. You have to love it.
Groove Metal - It appeals to me. Heavy, fast, intense, kickass music.

I prefer Death Metal, though I can enjoy bands from most any genre/sub-genre that is NOT Power Metal.

Favs include Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death, Aborted, Death, Malevolent Creation, Deicide, Kataklysm, Suffocation, Amon Amarth, Severed Savior, Bloodbath, Monstrosity, Death, etc.

Not completely sure, but I would say heavy metal and power metal possibly.
Iron Maiden
Iced Earth
Manowar
Judas Priest
You get it.

Shit, forgot Angel witch.

I like it because it gives me the most energy, and makes me feel good. It can also have a lot of diversity.

I like metal that is done well.The artist is concerned about integrity, writing for themselves, and not concerned as to where they'll chart. But Doom has reached me the best as of the last 2-3 years. It connects to me in a way no other music does, deep fuckin' inside. Bands like Esoteric, Mournful Congregation, Skepticism, Mar de Grises,(early) My Dying Bride, Evoken and Winter. In trad doom-Black Sabbath, Candlemass and Trouble.

Black metal; but not raw, minimalistic black metal. I prefer more melodic, produced music (just my personal preference): symphonic elements, folk influences, electronic, ambience, etc.

Borknagar, Primordial, Emperor, Tvangeste, Artefact, Bishop of Hexen, Samael, Windir, Bathory, Hindvir, Dimmu Borgir, Spectral, Thyrfing, Stormlord, etc.