What's your musical DISCOVERY of the year albumwise? (not 2009 specifc.)

Dave Weckl - Masterplan. Great songs, not just mindless wankery
Brad Paisley - Play. Great melodic playing and the guy can sherd too! Easy listening.
Tool - 10 000 days. Dunno why it took so long to finally listen to this band?
Jeff Beck - You had it coming. Not the ordinary guitar album.

Really tough to choose just one musical discovery for '09. I got into a lot of music over the year. I'll make a list. First is the artist, and then the album that led me to them.

Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor
Hammers of Misfortune - The Bastard
In Mourning - Shrouded Divine
Nokturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry
Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver
Bergthron - Leben und Lebenswille
Deathspell Omega - Si Movmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice
Dali's Dilemma - Manifesto for Futurism
Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe
Novembre - The Blue
Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun

Wow I adore her screaming. Sounds like a dying animal. Best female screamer I've ever heard. Pity about the rest of the music :puke:

While she screams pretty good - I'll take Angela any day of the week - she scares the hell out of me in a dirty sort of way (I have to admit - I kinda like it.) :kickass: :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
also getting into painkiller - execution ground is one of the best things thats ever happened to me musically
FUCK ME THIS ALBUM IS GORGEOUS!!!!!

Lower Definition - The Greatest of All Lost Arts
Oh Sleeper - Son of The Morning and When I am God
Architects - Hollow Crown
Misery Signals - Controller
Kingdoms - Daughters of Atlas

All these albums had an INCREDIBLY huge impact on how I view music and songwriting. Most notably Lower Def.

Devin Townsend Project - Addicted
Gojira - The Way of All Flesh
Medeia - Cult + Antichrismas

Gojira- The Way of All Flesh
Architects- Hollow Crown
Misery Signals- Controller
In Flames- Come Clarity (I have a love for this mix; it's hard to explain why)

Wow, my post is gonna be the most un-chr00 in the whole thread :lol:

That would be Hot Leg and Stone Gods... For those unfamiliar with the bands, both were created upon demise of The Darkness (yeah, the super popular dudes with crazy falsetto singer), the former by Justin Hawkins (the lead guitar and voice of The Darkness) and the latter by his brother Dan and the rest of the late band. Since I really love Darkness I was one day googling whatever happened to its band members and learned that they created two separated bands and I looked them up. Both bands are great and if you're actually Darkness fan you should quite dig them. Both released great hard rock albums with Stone Gods having very diverse influences (even up to thrashy moments). There is some great vocal and guitar work going on, most recommended!

the number one album that I can not stop listening to is Mastodons Crack The Sky. It isn't to over-produced and the songs are really good. There is a lot of substance to that album.

I wasn't really impressed with the last two Slayer albums. World Painted Blood is okay but Christ Illusion is way over the top.

I have re-discovered the Haunted. I have always loved thier earlier shit like One Kill Wonder but the Dead Eye I think is their best album. I bought it back in 06' the day it came out and I listened to it at least once a day, every day, for like a year and a half. The guitar tone, drum tone, bass tone, everything is really good. THe songs are written really well. Great album in all.

Opeth - Watershed

Before I heard this album I couldn't stand Opeth and this CD opened the door for me. Roll on April and Opeth at the Royal Albert Hall !!!

Jeff Buckley - Grace : of course i've heard of it in the past years but never really checked it out... well better late than never... i think that album is a MASTERPIECE and understand why so many people are raving (and mourning) over it

Covenance - the wasting (e.p) : ULTRA BRUTAL SLAM DEATH awesomeness... for fans of Pyrexia, Dying Fetus, Misery Index, Dehumanized, Suffocation, Internal Bleeding, Irate...

N.E.R.D - fly or die : expected some crappy MTV poser r'n'b/rap thing, and actually it's an awesome pop/rap/rock album

Michael Jackson - the whole discography : More like a RE-DISCOVERY than a Discovery, but after the whole "OMG Michael Jackson is dead / This is it movie" thing, i listened to his stuff again (i used to listen to it when i was a kid but didn't listen to it for years after), and i gotta say it's just AWESOME for the most part, especially those epic pieces : "earth song" "man in the mirror" "human nature" "beat it" "smooth criminal" (played the Alien Ant Farm cover version when i was in highschool :) ) "black or white" (awesome Periphery cover btw :) )

Enemy Mind - Enemy Mind/Line of scrimmage split CD : awesome death metallized beatdown, think early Shattered Realm but better. Wasn't much impressed at first but now i love it.

Faith no more - album of the year : always loved the "king for a day, fool for a lifetime" album, but never checked out that one much. I friggin' LOVE it.

Revocation - existence is futile : 'nuff said

Lian Ray - All i have (ep) / The list (ep) / We are the fox and the fony (ep) : killer sad yet beautiful pop/folk

Seven Weeks - All Channels Off : nice French stoner/rock, discovered them live