When will metal be accepted?

vgmaster9

Jun 30, 2012
Back in the 1950s, rock music was considered evil and satanic by the vast majority of people. Decades later, it has now been fully accepted by the public. For some reason, it's taking longer for metal to gain full acceptance.

Why is metal still being looked down ever since the 1970s? When do you think it will finally gain acceptance by the average folk? Will that ever happen?

acceptance is the last goal any artistic movement should strive for, and that applies tenfold with metal because it originated as subversive outsider music which intentionally deviated from mainstream worldviews and alienated the masses.

When even seasoned fanatics of the genre need to listen 2-3 times before being able to digest an album, it's never going to achieve commercial success. Especially some of the "deeper" and less poppy/hooky metal is concerned. Its just not in it's nature.

Honestly, in my experience it's pretty accepted these days. People might think it's a little odd and some of the imagery is creepy but no one really gives you shit for listening to metal. Other people may have had very different experiences, but that's how it's gone for me.

Good metal will never be accepted, but it's still common to see Avenged Sevenfold and Burzum t-shirts on campus.

I don't care personally. I wouldn't stop liking it if it got popular either. I like metal because it appeals to me, and I listen to it for that reason only. I don't give a shit about giving a middle finger to the mainstream, that's just a waste of my time. I ignore the stuff I don't like, no point in rallying against it.

i remember my mum bought me a limp bizkit tshirt when they were the in thing. i was like muummmmmmmm i like metallllliccaaaaaaa </cartman voice>

I don't give a shit about giving a middle finger to the mainstream, that's just a waste of my time. I ignore the stuff I don't like, no point in rallying against it.

worth noting that while this is a reasonable attitude for a metalhead to have, if all metal musicians had the same attitude a lot of our favourite records probably wouldn't exist in their current form, if at all.

I just wish the bands I like were more popular so I'd have more people to go to shows with, and could hear them on the radio when my phone's dead.

acceptance is the last goal any artistic movement should strive for, and that applies tenfold with metal because it originated as subversive outsider music which intentionally deviated from mainstream worldviews and alienated the masses.

This.

And also I like having different interests than my friends. I learn from them and they can learn from me and that way can i expand my circle.

The year black metal is on the radio is the same year when varg and his minions take over a radio station armed to the teeth, so pretty soon id say

What the fuck are you guys talking about? Metallica have sold more records than Bob Dylan or Stevie Wonder. Metal has been accepted by the mainstream for a loooong time. Perhaps not the particular bands you like, but that's a different topic all together...

I think it never willfully be accepted but nothing ever truly is. There is always somebody who thinks completely different from you. So best thing is, don't worry what other people may say or think, dress and listen to whatever you want.
In other words, ROCK ON!!