where are nevermore going?

ravan (not signed) said:
:OMG: I seriously think pat o brien was the best thing that happened to the band. With other guitarists, sorry but this band is getting all thrashy. Something they were not for a while. I used to like them as I like Meshuggah. The Nevermore drummer is incredible and he could harness his skills if he plays some offbeat shit instead of the usual thrashy beats.

You could give it a try and listen to his groovy ride parts, more often!
i find his playing -especially double bass and ride- everything, except usual. What about The Psalm of Lydia?
The beginning part contains subtle changes on the accents, those kind of skills are tricky and subtle, i like that. This Godless Endeavor, especially @ 5:30 min and so on, that rocks balls! I don't know what kind of listener you are, but it's in the way he puts his accents that does the trick to me.
It may sound like the 'usual' to you but VW does play with the measures.
No harness skilled 'sittinglikeabagofsalt' drumming, all to make it sound technical and suit the band. In Meshuggah it's mostly the guitars that do the offbeat parts, it's the drummer who may pack 'n play!
Thomas Haake may stuff it all, it's the guitars that take the leading parts.
That can become very technical and complex but leave that to Meshuggah!!!
No clones! Textures <from Holland> is enough already! :yuk:
Drummers need to work their ass off.
Two limbs on the lead and the other two, pull the pack together.
It's like question and answering, Terry Bozzio does that a lot too.
That's what makes a drummer " The Working Man " .
Or in Van's case: The Man with the Triplet Plan :D
He's no Thomas Haake and i'm very happy Nevermore doesn't sound like Meshuggah!

nevermore14.jpg

@ DeadFetus: A big hell yeah! goes out to photographers who know how to get the drummer in their lens! There are too less drummer pics on the net.

woah! hold on I like nevermore as much as u do buddy and yes Nevermore drummer is as technical as Messhuggah. I dont want N to sound like M. I believe that they sound no more like Nevermore used to. Nevermore is a pretty technical band no doubt.
Are the band members here on forum page?

ravan said:
what???????
c'mon guys...the band was pretty technical in the beginning now i can pic out all the timings and stuff...the drummer is probably losing it! He must be thinking '1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4...'

The big point is to make "good" music, not necessarily "super techincal" music.

The Moth God said:
The big point is to make "good" music, not necessarily "super techincal" music.
ummm doesnt good mean what you like or in simple terms what your mind can comprehend?...yet u dont want them to come here and read the threads ....it is the whole point of selling an album right?..which is what i feel...they were doing their stuff before now they doing what seems to sell....Warren's lyrics and the way he expressed it in the beginning almost killed me. Now it sounds like "hey guys that went well, lets do it again!"
look not saying that they cant do the same thing again. But the sound these guys produce they can surprise us everytime!

ravan said:
what???????
c'mon guys...the band was pretty technical in the beginning now i can pic out all the timings and stuff...the drummer is probably losing it! He must be thinking '1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4...'
dont compare steve to pat man...steve is a leady but no way close to the beauty pat brings to the guitars....

Um...I probably would have given Van the award for most improved on TGE. He wrecked shit on this album, it was excellent.

The Moth God said:
That is a good thing. People shouldn't write things based on what others want them to, they should write according to what pleases themselves.

sure
and then if they start to do this they will became those pop band. they have to do their music. not for who buy those records. if we like.. we buy