Which Opeth vocal style do you like the best?

Which style of Opeth extreme vocals do you like better?

• Older style (higher-pitched and more black-metallish)

Votes: 30 23.8%
  • New Style (Deeper and more death-metallish)

Votes: 96 76.2%

• Total voters
Why the fuck would you even post something this retarded? Were you dropped on your head as a child? Jesus. NEVERMORE? Um, Dane might have a versatile voice, but up until Dreaming Neon Black, he was an AWFUL vocalist. His voice was thin, his range was nonexistant, and he went off-key a ridiculous amount (which is unforgivable).

You bitch about people worshipping Opeth, and you yourself worship a far inferior band that has only released ONE great album (Dreaming Neon Black). I guess you're real goal is simply to act like a cock and piss off as many people as possible. Pretty sad.

nevermore is in no way inferior to opeth

Thread_Necromancy.jpg

But nice bump...a lot has happened. I can't really choose between one or the other, I love both styles!

Death metal style vocals definitely own but I do not think Mikael ever sang black metal style vocals. So this poll is not very accurate..

I love it when people bump 5+ year old topics.

But I like the newer vocals more if I have to choose I think.

easy:

I like the older CLEANS better, (more emotion) but I acknowledge his new cleans as "better" he really does sing better.

his new growls are also better than his old ones are, I think.

Morningrise/orchid is crap and need not to be mention

I was thinking about this the other day, and I really like how he sings on MAYH, probably the best high growls he's done, as for the lows, they just keep getting better.

I went with the earlier vocals, just a lot more intense I think. for example, the vocals at the "arrival, I saw her standing in the darkness..." part from In Mist She Was Standing.

When I first got into Opeth, Morningrise was the first album I could enjoy despite the vocals. I found them easier on the ears and I remember finding them to be more of a "singing growl" than a "grunting growl" (which was how I perceived the later stuff). However, as I listened more and more to Opeth I came to prefer the deeper growls of Ghost Reveries/Damnation. By now I'm kinda in the "both" camp. The old stuff is indeed more expressive, but the new ones are way more refined technically, and blend very well with the material.

One thing I can't get over though, is that his Bloodbath vocals seem to be on another level of evil. Both Unblessing the Purity and The Fathomless Mastery feel deeper to me. I would love for him to utilise those ultra-deep growls more in Opeth.

Watershed was really an eye-opener in terms of Mike's vocal potential. He showed amazing range in his clean vox (super mellow in Coil, more raspy in Burden, whisky-blues raspy in Bridge of Sighs), I just wish he'd write an album that really used that potential in composition more. Not just to set the tone for each song but rather using them in a single composition. Imagine one song going from his lightest Coil-esque stuff, through his more raspy Burden/BoS vocals, onto the Morningrise register, down to Ghost Reveries and ending up in Weak Aside territory.

I guess I could have put that more elegantly, but what the hell.

One thing I can't get over though, is that his Bloodbath vocals seem to be on another level of evil. Both Unblessing the Purity and The Fathomless Mastery feel deeper to me. I would love for him to utilise those ultra-deep growls more in Opeth.

This is becuase the Bloodbath production adds some extra distortion to his voice. Mike never adds effects to his growls on Opeth (except specifics like The pain I see in others) I love his voice on the Bloodbath releases but I think it suits that sort of old school death metal more than the Opeth style. Both rock.