who's the best in COB??

anarchy1001

New Metal Member
Jul 31, 2011
Guys, i'm sure more than half of you COB fans feel Alexi Laiho is the best guitarist in the world right now, but i seriously feel the band is as good as it is b'coz of Janne Wirman (the keyboard guy )....he's my favorite member of the band....

Testically speaking I would say Janne, Roope, Jaska, Alexi, Henkka....in that order

Janne has always had skills...and makes it look easy
Roope....he is just the man and can play anything you tell him to
Jaska...I was blown away by his drumming on the new album
Alexi......good writer and player most times, but sometimes he can really fucking butcher a solo or lead and that just ruins it for me
Henkka.....he's a bass player, what more is there to say

The term 'guitarist' is so abstract in its concept it needs further elaboration... what does it withold? I'm sure there is no 'best guitarist in the world.' Alexi is the best in the world at writing cool songs that he can both sing and play simultaneously. As for the band members, they're all the best in the band at what they do.

Sadly, you are right to a degree. Most of the COB fanboys think that Alexi is god, that he is the best guitarist and so on. As far as who I consider to be the best... I guess it comes down to Janne and Roope. Janne made really cool stuff in the early albums and I bet he could play everything you tell him to with his eyes closed, while Alexi is not as good as he used to be. Roope on the other hand is way better guitarist and plays flawlessly.

Sadly, you are right to a degree. Most of the COB fanboys think that Alexi is god, that he is the best guitarist and so on. As far as who I consider to be the best... I guess it comes down to Janne and Roope. Janne made really cool stuff in the early albums and I bet he could play everything you tell him to with his eyes closed, while Alexi is not as good as he used to be. Roope on the other hand is way better guitarist and plays flawlessly.

That's a huge exaggeration. Plus, Roope isn't playing the solos Alexi is. He's playing mostly backup parts while Alexi is playing leads and solos and doing vocals. I'd consider Roope's more extensive experience noticeable yes, a bit more refined technique sure, but way better? No way.

They're on a similar enough level. If you want to talk about way better guitarists, look to Shawn Lane, Paul Gilbert, Guthrie Govan, Allan Holdsworth, etc., but comparing Alexi and Roope is like comparing an LTD-400 with an LTD-600, and then ignoring the fact that ESP's exist and are actually quite superior.

Technicality and extreme playing isn't what makes a good musician great. Alexi, and to a lesser extent Janne, IS COB. Alexi's songwriting, live performances, and attitude is what makes him great. No offense to Roope, I love the guy to death but he can't write music well enough to even sustain a band outside of the Finnish scene. When it comes down to it, everyone can probably be replaced besides Alexi and Janne.

but comparing Alexi and Roope is like comparing an LTD-400 with an LTD-600, and then ignoring the fact that ESP's exist and are actually quite superior.

Haha. Because there's people out there who can play 1million BPM? :)

I mean, Alexi is certainly up there in the grand scheme of things. Admittedly, there are those super greats like Vai who can write and play the shit out of the guitar where Alexi and Roope don't 't come close at all. But when you're just talking about Heavy Metal music in general, Alexi's name will always be mentioned.

Haha. Because there's people out there who can play 1million BPM? :)

I mean, Alexi is certainly up there in the grand scheme of things. Admittedly, there are those super greats like Vai who can write and play the shit out of the guitar where Alexi and Roope don't 't come close at all. But when you're just talking about Heavy Metal music in general, Alexi's name will always be mentioned.

Because "playing at 1million BPM" (which doesn't even make sense anyway, bpm is not an indication of speed without context of rhythmic division) is what makes a good guitarist? Speed in itself is not even a technique. And his name will always be mentioned within heavy metal music because of his popularity.

But anyway, the topic is about the members of CoB. My point is that Roope is not way better than Alexi, that'd absurd.

roopes solo's on synergy songs are fucking insane! he can shred like nobody's business, i wish he solo'd a tad bit more in cob.

jaska is awesome cuz his drumming is very distinctly cob, and no one could replace him and have his feel or style

janne is virtuoso on keys

alexi is melody mastermind

henka thumps da bass hard

boom

When exactly was the last time Roope proved to be better than Alexi?

Maybe he's had a touch more time focusing on guitar playing alone since he's not a great songwriter or vocalist.

Even if he does play guitar better than Alexi in the backroom... we never get to see it.

If he was THAT great, I'd expect to see solo structures in the new Bodom like Alexi-Janne-Roope (in whichever order) but there's only a couple of them and it's not like the couple solos Roope plays on COB are staggering compared to Alexi's. I think for the live excitement it would be cool to see the three of them do solos at least in a few live songs, but I don't really care as long as the songs are good. I think it's cool tho if they have a couple moments where the crowd can see the other guitarist can play as well, now they at least have one in NMF and one in WIWI (kinda).

What if they did give Roope a solo in 50% of the songs and then comes a day when they have to replace Roope, that's also an interesting one, but I guess there's so many guitarists out there today who could do it.

I think when we talk about COB we are talking about a band a group of people!

and when an album is released that album is the output of union of 5 musicians!

but they don't have equal share and that's when you see the difference!

Obviously when a solo makes us fly to the sky we praise Alexi Laiho

and when a solo ruins our feeling in the song ( like WIWI) we blame Alexi for it!

so it's natural the one who does most of the job on the album gets the credit for it

so it kinda makes sense why people love Alexi more than the rest of the band...

and besides, he is the one who connects on the stage.

he is the one who talks into the mic not like Roope and Henkka standing and playing.

so he has a special relationship with the audience...

to me Alexi Laiho is Axl Rose and Slash combined together and even ten times better....

well Roope better than Alexi is a claim i'll have a tough time digesting; but i agree with the fact that Alexi Laiho is over-rated....saw thw solo battle between Alexi and Janne; Alexi was a dead duck.......

The term 'guitarist' is so abstract in its concept it needs further elaboration... what does it withold? I'm sure there is no 'best guitarist in the world.'

Wow dude you're evolving :lol: look at music in that way and your hate towards "computer-music" and "rap" and other stuff than COB will be gone

cmon roope better than alexi?

i definitely agree with lots of comments here but roope better than alexi? cmon, roope had his band (stone) and isnt half interesting or good as cob
roope is better than alexi tecnically and has lots of more experience i have to admit, but alexi is better guitarrist in the overall because he composes so much better and his tecnique isnt much worse than roope. alexi achieved things, popularity and awards that roope wouldnt ever dreamed of..

so i think saying cob is about roope and janne is just stupid. cob is about alexi janne and jaska. roope is amazing because he plays anything you tell him too, but he is replaceable so its henkka which is only a bass player, not much to say

Well yeah, I do think Roope is technically better than Alexi. After all Alexi does all the song writing in COB and we must not forget that Roope made some amazing songs back in Sinergy. As far as I see the things, I think Roope is doing better job than Alexi right now. There is no way you can compare Alexi nowadays to the one back in the days. He can't even nail the solos anymore.

Well yeah, I do think Roope is technically better than Alexi. After all Alexi does all the song writing in COB and we must not forget that Roope made some amazing songs back in Sinergy. As far as I see the things, I think Roope is doing better job than Alexi right now. There is no way you can compare Alexi nowadays to the one back in the days. He can't even nail the solos anymore.

ahgr thats so not true. alexi doesnt play what he used to play, but i find that comment so exagerated