who's the best in COB??

they're all 5 talented musicians and no one is better than another they all have their "roles" in the band and that's all !

I agree. But... others will always have differen't opinions.

I think the original question is who ranks higher relatively to other players of the instrument out there. I'd say Janne has least competition, while there's at least ten times more top guitarists out there, etc. But the question "who's the best player in COB" kinda makes no sense cos they all have different instruments, except Alexi and Roope, but it's incomparable because they do different things.

But when you take everything into consideration as a musician:

Alexi
Janne / Roope
Jaska
Henkka

It's cruel to put Henkka last, he's a good bassist and has the looks and most sophisticated attitude, but I've heard Jaska really has to work his ass off, a drummer making a mistake especially in this kind of fast paced complex music is obviously more fatal than a bassist forgetting a few notes.

Janne and Roope, I can't rank either higher or lower than the other.

Alexi obviously is the heart of COB, I think we all agree on his accomplishments eclipsing others.

Ye it is difficult to rank Henkka higher because COB don't offer him the occasion to show all his skills. It would be interessant to see him playing others stuff. I agree with Joonas for his ranking of the members.

Who has the best skills on their particular instrument? Is that the question? I cant answer that. Imo its about how everybody plays together and fill in, and on that level they are all equal and very talented.
I do have my favorite though, who is Jaska. His drumming is amazing ! \m/
Henkka deserves much more attention btw, and so does Roope. Its a shame they dont get more focus.

:kickass:

Henkka is a 'somewhat better than average bassist.' He does what's needed for COB. He's also responsible for artwork scetches, interviews and is generally a bright guy, and has studied also. He's not one of those metal music monsters who do nothing but slit themselves with razors and play guitar 24/7 while sucking Satan's cock. He's a human.

Henkka is a 'somewhat better than average bassist.' He does what's needed for COB. He's also responsible for artwork scetches, interviews and is generally a bright guy, and has studied also. He's not one of those metal music monsters who do nothing but slit themselves with razors and play guitar 24/7 while sucking Satan's cock. He's a human.

loool omg !! Yeah he doesnt do stuff like that indeed !11 Nor do the others, well Alexi maybe now n then lool :Smokedev:
Joke aside, yeah true, Henkka seems alot wiser than others....ok, I vote Henkka ! Lol ! No, Janne...I mean, Roope !...no wait, Jaska ! KMan ftw !!11 :hotjump:

Guys, i'm sure more than half of you COB fans feel Alexi Laiho is the best guitarist in the world right now, but i seriously feel the band is as good as it is b'coz of Janne Wirman (the keyboard guy )....he's my favorite member of the band....

Janne Wirman, of course !

According to your logic, wouldn't the term "bassist" need to be more elaborate?

As if I or anyone has ever suggested that talented musicians play their instrument 24/7 and don't have lives? That requires only basic sense to realize. Simple case of a very ineffective straw man fallacy used in argument.

Also, I'm not even a bassist but I could without a doubt play anything Henkka does. Does that make me a 'somewhat better than average bassist?' The standards for average must be set quite low then.

Being responsible for artwork sketches, interviews, and "being a bright guy" has nothing to do with being a good bassist. It seems like you're agreeing with me. Yes, a big aspect of his role in the band is communicating with the media and being a public speaker for the band (which has nothing to do with the argument at hand). It's surely not his bass skills that keeps him in the band.

C'mon man Alexi is the one who got the band together.....he's not jealous .....i mean as a cob fan u've gotta like him.....

Everyone is best, best of the best in fact. Better than anyone!!! Because they're COB

Or what?

Ps; I like Alice Cooper because he has never been a member

trollface.jpg

Ok guys, plz explain me how you can judge who's the better guitarist.

If I take Alexi and Gilbert as a good example - why do you say that Gilbert is the better guitarist? Imho I think that Alexi reached a level where he can't get any better (if you disregard his last live performences). He can do sweeps, string jumps, fast picking, and all this stuff like a god and I have never seen any thing of Gilbert where I could say that his sweeps, picking stuff and so on is better. But you can't really compare both because it's a different kind of music. Nearly all Racer X songs are from the start to the end focused on the lead guitar whereas Bodom is a metal band with a singer with intro, verse, chorus,... You can ONLY compare both when you give both something they have never played before and THEN you can judge who did a better cover or you give a backing track where where they should improvise something over it.

It bothers me a bit that a lot of you guys think somebody is better because he's longer in business. A lot of people think that Roope is better than Alexi but they just say this because Roope is older and Alexi said a long time ago that he's one of his idols. Same goes for Slayer or AC/DC where I think they both suck.

If you ask me I wouldn't say that Yngwie or Gilbert are better than Alexi because there is no chance to proof it and to be honest... I have never heard any better solos from f.ex. Yngwie and Gilbert than Alexi solos for ETID, Downright Dominate, a lot of Sinergy solos or his playing back in 1999, 2003 or the thing for guitar heroes...

Actualy it should be Alexi>Gilbert/... because Bodom is definitely more famous nowadays and COB=Alexi.

Edit:

I will not say that Alexi is the best guitarist in the world or something but I would put him on the same level as all those old-school guitarist like Gilbert, Romero,bla bla
Only thing I would say is that he's the better songwriter. All made some great songs but not as much as Alexi did. My opinion.

I've also yet to hear the explanations why Roope is better than Alexi?...

Alexi writes the coolest songs in the world, plays AND sings them, he also has a radical past with mental, physical and alcohol trauma to relate the composions to, he happens to look good as well... what more can you ask for, I wouldn't say it's his demise if some boring guitar "hero" plays guitar a bit more clean on sofa or knows a few more useless technical tricks.

Just that Alexi has lost some passion from the music with the new albums.

I was not talking about that he can can play and sing at the same time because I don't know if Gilbert or so couldn't do the same because he has a whole instrumental band. I was saying that I can see absolutely no technical difference between the guys I've mentioned an Alexi. All of those old-school guitarists including Alexi can't play any cleaner as they can at the moment and they all use the same technique so except the fact that Alexis solos in some songs are definitely better than any solos Gilbert, Yngwie and the other guys have ever written, all are on the same level.

Just that Alexi has lost some passion from the music with the new albums.

I wouldn't say that. Just because he writes other music nowadays doesn't mean he has lost his passion. It's just another simple thing: the more famous a band/singer/guitarist/.... is, the more he gives a fuck about it. Everybody knows that he's a great guitarist so why should he prove it again and again? I can tell you so many other guitarists and singer which were great back when just a few people know them but as soon somebody is really famous... yes. You see the result.

We'd really need to see that freestyle improvisation between those guys to see who's most acquainted with the technical and theory knowledge and can best transfer the skill to making the music sound good and interesting too.