who's the best in COB??

Normally I disagree with nearly everything you've ever said because you're one of those dicks trying to troll around here 'n there but this time I have to agree with you.

Jonas, you've clearly either never listened to Wintersun's self-titled or have really bad taste because in terms of amazing production, singing ability (actual singing and metal vocals), and riffs, Jari shits all over him. I don't understand how you can honestly sit here and say that there is no other guitar player that has more talent than him and makes better music. There are countless bands out there way more interesting than Children of Bodom have ever been, without even having nearly the same level of skill. If you can honestly listen to bands like Ulver and still find Bodom more interesting I'm going to dub you the biggest faggot on this forum. Not that I want to, but it's probably going to happen.

But I think Wintersun's vocals are parodic, they're not very evil, rather comical, altough there is skill in the throat. Same words I just said apply to their music. I like metal to be very hectic, evil and atmospheric and creative, and Bodom at its best is all these things. People listen to music for different reasons and on different frequencies, so I believe your preference to Wintersun over Bodom is your solid opinion. I just don't care so much if a riff is a bit more technical, I just care the music sounds cool as fuck, cos that's what music is created for.

I'm not all-COB, I think much of their vocals are embarrassing and much of their music is stupid shit, but they've still made more gold than most other bands. I do say Bodom on its average is not atmospheric enough for my taste, its weakness is the disgustingly superficial parts and occasional bad sounding moments, especially on the newer albums. It's not like I think COB is perfect, but they do have lots of perfect moments... many of their songs have fantastic potential which didn't get fully captured for the studio versions. I think if aliens from space challenged humanity for a contest of music, if we had to choose one band to put up a musically impressive show, it could be no other than COB.

Metal has grown stagnant by now. I feel like it almost needs to go underground again more just to give it time to be refreshing again.

There's too many metal bands that sound the same and have no creativity. I hope someday we'll have many bands that have experimental, atmospheric yet powerful soundworlds, creative songs, great vocals and the skills. Somehow I just think, if there's a band I haven't heard of already, it probably isn't good. And I'm definitely not a guru of metal or anything, I just know the gold veins are scarce, and apart from that you just find bits of gold here and there.

maybe you're looking for good and awesome bands in the wrong place... usually bands that have left underground easily and are being advertised so much through labels don't have much too say... but it's always possible to find great music in underground... the bands which have just started or the bands which have preferred to stay in underground have made most of awesome albums during last years for me... I introduced two bands called ATOMA and Wine From Tears in the other thread I don't know if you like their music or not but these sort of bands are the bands which makes me keep myself hopeful about music...generally doom metal music is the sort of metal that fortunately does not capture the interest of industry that much so that's why it's possibly the purest metal existing. they have proved that you can make an intense song without running 30000BPM on the fretboard!

don't know if there are doom lovers here or not but this song could be a good example

Last edited by a moderator:
Shit... the new wintersun album is extremely underwhelming for me. They tried way too hard with this one to create something and I think they failed. Too many instruments being played at once, overly complicated background rhythm, and only three songs. I listened to each song twice and not much of it stuck with me. Land of Snow and Sorrow, the song that Joonas posted a preview clip for, sounded better in that preview. There's like 3 or 5 keyboard parts being played at the same time and I can't even tell what to listen to. Nothing particularly good about the vocals, either. There's a nice part near the end of Land of Snow and Sorrow where they simple it down, and the solo to Time is pretty cool. I can't really bring myself to listen to anything else. How long did they work on these songs? Shit, underwhelmed is an understatement for me... I'm not even a fan of the band in particular but this album was hyped to hell so I got excited haha

Land of Snow and Sorrow, the song that Joonas posted a preview clip for, sounded better in that preview

True. It still sounds great on the intro but the guitars shouls be more on top, the keys sharper and that cool part should be played more instead of repeating the first part sixty times.

I think it's lame to release it in two parts. People have waited for 8 years and now they have to rape it by selling it in two short CD's instead of one 'epic' product. I'm not sure it will increase the sales this way. I'd much rather buy that one CD. I'm not buying part 1 and part 2 CD's. They should've just made people wait a bit more and carry the shit through with honor which they started.

I actually really like it. It's way different sounding than the first album, but in a good way. I really like that it sounds like an epic movie ost with badass drums. To each their own though.

It's a great record make no mistake, sure it's not perfect but it's quite impressive and fresh musically. Clearly there's a winter atmosphere. The messy soundworld fits the winter theme well. I just listened to the album in the winter outside and thought the metal soundworld is clearly dictated by the northern freezing and dark melancholy. Maybe some of you fans who were over-delusioned waiting for the "greatest album of all time" had totally unrealistic expectations formed in your mind, were a bit disappointed. I for one know how empty it leaves you when you wait anxiously for an album and hope for it to be magnificent, but the expectations are not met. I didn't like Wintersun at all but I think this is decent.

Maybe some of you fans who were over-delusioned waiting for the "greatest album of all time" had totally unrealistic expectations formed in your mind, were a bit disappointed.

A lot of people did this, and for some they expected a shred fest. Others just wanted a great album. I'd say they got the latter. I'm really digging the whole asian theme of it too, although I thought I wouldn't. Winter in China sounds pretty metal lol ;)

i think your mom is the best in COB, grouppies keeps the band alive !

Everyone in that band is a groupie for the other members.

hehe, get it, cuz they're gay. :rolleyes:

You're fucking right, it sounds like Chinese winter. Actually a Japanese winter, because the melodies are Japanese melodies.

Besides Finnish winter would sound fuckloads more evil and dark. It's shit, I hate it.

You hate which one?

Anyways, I'm glad they went this route, I haven't heard too many bands pull off oriental sounding stuff this well. Plus, the br00tal frost bitten viking/scandinavian metal thing has been done to death. I still like it, but this is refreshing.

The Finnish winter. It just arrived here again, the cold and dark, the difficulty with dressing right and the limitations it sets.

Not many have done it properly, maybe somewhere there's a perfect idea on how to musically express the dark and cold winter, but only few have touched it and the rest merely plagiate it. There's so much greatness waiting to be composed, but the amount of creativity out there is limited. And even those who do get the creative moments often fail to make their vision truly manifest. You might hear a great musical idea in your head, but especially with awkward soundworlds it can be excruciatingly hard to manage to build the same sound with the keyboard I suppose. And then when the artist composes his idea down but it doesn't sound according to the vision, it's lamentating.

This Wintersun Time album is a great example of how even after 8 years of honing and preparing, the soundworld still isn't quite according to the artist's vision.

I agree, very few bands get that bit right. I think Jari pulled off what he wanted to though. It may not be what people were expecting but I don't doubt for a moment that this album is the product of all of his love and labor for music. I think he pulled off exactly what he wanted to, and probably even outdid himself a good bit. This album isn't to be listened to from a stand point of metal. It's just great music in general.

Anyways, I've always wanted to visit Finland and Norway (mostly Norway), and I love the cold, but I don't think I could ever live in a place like that.

Nobody really loves cold. ;) It fucking hurts everywhere. But it's good for a moment after spending time in the heat. And it keeps the nature rich and clean.