who's the best in COB??

Generally, I care about lyrics a LOT more than most people, but COB's lyric are mediocre at best. If you find their lyrics genious, I'm sure there are hundreds of band, whose lyrics you'd find awesome.
To me the COB lyrics are more about the way they accentuate different parts of the song and when the lyrics just stick in your head like a sledgehammer to the skull then they simply work. I don't care if there's no deeper meaning behind the lyrics as long as they sound good. Shovel Knockout is a good example of a song thats lyrics make pretty much no sense whatsoever (hundred killers after you... and then the tables turn, what the hell? :lol:) but damn do they sound badass and so serve the song perfectly.

Some great lyrics in Downfall, Everytime I Die, Kissing the Shadows, Silent Night Bodom Night... man those two albums with their booklets is what COB should be about. There's so much nostalgia, style and atmosphere in there. Then something happened and Alexi became less deep.

So were Bastards Of Bodom and Lobodomy lyrics. Alexi didn't draw the coverarts either. Point being the albums were good products no matter who were responsible.

dave mustaine? name one good lyrics written by mustaine! name one song with above the average vocals sung by mustaine!

Alexi can't sing? yeah now he can't sing like he could before...

but his fucked up voice is a million times better than dave mustaine's voice!

check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4qDAji1CKc&feature=share

and also the lyrics:

The faint blaze of the candle of my life,
slowly dying like a fire in a pouring rain.
No sparks of hope inside,
no shooting stars on my sky.
On broken wings, no flying high...

Another night, another demise,
Cadaverous wind blowing cold as ice...
I`ll let the wind blow out the light
cause its gets more painful every time I die.

Out of strength to fight.
I cannot take another night.
I cannot take it no more.
Lust of light slips through my fingers
like blood on my arms.
Black candle wax has buried me...

Another night, another demise,
Cadaverous wind blowing cold as ice...
I`ll let the wind blow out the light
cause its gets more painful every time I die.

c'mon man you must be really prejudiced against mustaine to say such a thing....
in my darkest hour, symphony of destruction, trust aren't they good??:p

c'mon man you must be really prejudiced against mustaine to say such a thing....
in my darkest hour, symphony of destruction, trust aren't they good??:p

I'm not disrespecting Dave Mustaine...he is a great shredder no doubts about it!

but he is just an average singer for me.

and also the lyrics! nothing special about them

the same rebellion thing in the same way...nothing new in them..they could be rebellious but in their own way...

and the rest of them...again nothing special
In my hour of need
Ha you're not there
And though I reached out for you
Wouldn't lend a hand

Through the darkest hour
Grace did not shine on me
It feels so cold, very cold
No one cares for me

compare this to the VALLEYS OF TORMENTED SOULS!

===================================================

I'm not a mustaine basher nor a mustaine lover..

but I really hate him when he does something stupid!

like what he did in Greece couple of years ago... he was just so pathetic!

I don't think comparing Alexi to other guitarists from other bands doesn't accomplish anything except as a way of pitting one's personal favorites against another. Another guitarist might be technically better than Alexi, but the reason we're here on the forum is because we like the style of music Alexi plays. So far all of the guitarists outside COB so far compared to Alexi play different styles to Alexi. So it can be established that for the style of music Alexi plays, he is the best.

Another thing he has going for him is that he's managed to play simultaneously with a keyboardist - and do it amazingly well. None of the other guys mentioned could do it, and for most of them even play in the same band as one.

Finally, his vocals involve screaming. Pure singing (which I think Dave Mustaine does - can't tell because his vocals give me a headache) is more natural alongside a guitar than screaming so he has to work against the natural tendency to sing. Feel free to disagree.

Also on the Alexi vs Roope debate. Roope may be more senior, more experienced, but it's Alexi's band. Alexi also does lead vocals, most of the solos, composing the music, and he's 10 years younger. For him to play on a similar level to Roope despite being behind about 10 years in experience and balancing all of those other responsibilities - it's an achievement. As the lead guitarist, composer, lyricist, vocalist and the media's focus he has more to do in less time. As well, correcting the technical errors pointed out takes a lot more time to fix than it does to adapt to the errors. Considering how long he's been playing it would require a very long time off from the band, sitting in a room and correcting those errors and then relearning all of COBs songs in the proper technical way. With the current rate of touring/album making I don't think they'll give COB and Alexi time off to fix errors that he has been able to work around for years. Especially considering how jetlagged they were on Thursday.

Besides, no one in COB is the best. They're all equals and if anyone in the band didn't deserve to be there as much as the others, they would have been kicked out already. Alexi is an awesome lead guitarist, composer, lyricist, vocalist and front-man. Roope is an awesome second guitarist and backing vocalist. Janne is an awesome keyboardist. Jaska is an awesome drummer. And Henkka is an awesome bassist and backing vocalist - despite the critics. Awesome is not just about relative ability, it's also about working together well. They do that and most bands would kill to stay together as long as they have, to have the same successes they have and to sound as awesome together as they do.

There may be bassists who are technically better and/or play more complex stuff, but he also looks after the bands image and takes on extra stuff so the other band members don't have to. The band merch and album designs - Henkka. Band spokesperson - Henkka. The band member who makes announcements on the website, twitter and facebook - Henkka. The one who's most approachable by fans - Henkka. He also does a ton of behind the scenes stuff for Wildchild Industries. He looks after the band's image, he keeps the media happy and he keeps the fans happy. Henkka doesn't need to become some world ranking bassist, because what he does as part of COB outside of being a bassist cannot be replicated by anyone else.

COB is in the enviable position of having more than one world renowned musician in their own right, let alone having just one. Expecting Henkka to be a virtuoso is unfair. If the band wasn't happy with his abilities they would have kicked him out years ago, well before Something Wild. So we have to assume that either Henkka is as good as the band needs, if not more or that what he does outside of playing the bass is so appreciated to outweigh any musical shortcomings or both. And if suddenly he isn't as musically proficient in a way that they need, the band would help him get to where they need him. Sorry for the spiel about Henkka. I think they're all awesome but I'm sick of seeing Henkka at the bottom of the rankings in this thread. The worth of a musician is not just some combination of the music they play and how well they play it.

Plus Henkka seems healthy and looks after his fitness. I think I disagree about Roope being a good backing-vocalist, but otherwise agree about everything. Henkka on the other hand even helped sing the songs at times when Alexi was struggling with his rib-penetrated lungs.

Blue Wolf in another world we could be best friends, I'm telling ya!! :) I totally agree with everything you said (wrote)

Why not? We live in an age where things like spatial distances are no longer barriers to real time communication.

Plus Henkka seems healthy and looks after his fitness. I think I disagree about Roope being a good backing-vocalist, but otherwise agree about everything. Henkka on the other hand even helped sing the songs at times when Alexi was struggling with his rib-penetrated lungs.

I agree. I think it's Roope coming from a thrash background. Thrash vocals can really suck at times. But saying awesome guitarist and ok backing vocalist has a different feel to it.

I went to the Melbourne show on Thursday with my boyfriend and went to the afterparty and Henkka talked to us and even took a couple of pictures with us, despite being jetlagged and exhausted. I guess that sort of made me jump to his defence.

Alexi was not feeling the best and I guess Roope was looking after him. Having the band jetlagged and Alexi sick is a bit worrying. It's not as if they're some big name commercial pop act. Giving them some breaks is definitely in order - if I had to wait another month to see them so they are well rested by the time they perform I'd be happy to wait. And as Alexi the frontman/lead vocalist/lead guitarist and the guy all the media want to interview, he gets the brunt of it, all of the time.

If worse came to worst Henkka could take over vocals from Alexi. Alexi is first and foremost a guitarist so having Henkka do it rather than Alexi struggle to do both would be better. At least with Roope on rhythym rather than Alexander, we know that Roope could take over lead if needed. But that I guess belongs in another thread.

Also I felt like adding the keyboard-guitar unison solos are one of the best things about this band and a good way to tell the audience their solos aren't just mindless freestyle shredding but actually composed. The band would feel so much better if somebody was looking after their health. No alcohol or smoke, sports every day, green juices for nourishment...

Well, who the hell is going to look after their health??????? MISSION IMPOSSIBLE :D The dudes are no longer 10 so you can't say DON'T DRINK and punch them. In fact, they are adults ( I know, it's hard to believe when you see their manners) but they know what alcohol is and they know that they'll die young with all the smoking (I don't wanna say sth bad about them but I bet some of them have been taking drugs, probably not now, but...) and if they don't care, why should we argue about it? It's pointless. And green juices are disgusting so I'll totally understand them if they don't drink this wish- wash :lol:

Whatever... it's what I do, health foods and green juices, sports everyday, no alcohol, no smoke... and I'm feeling like a million dollars. I don't judge anyone, just saying, if you want to feel healthy you need to do things about your life. I'm sure COB have had more fun in their lives with their concerts and parties than most people ever, and it's natural for them. This is more directed at netti; I know of what I speak, I was down there for years with the same habits, but changed. This stuff correlates directly with mentality, it's all up to the person himself. You can only plant seeds of wisdom which will sprout when or if the person is ever ready to change.

It's good that you managed to change :) most of the ppl can't and everything you said about sports and healthy food is true but if sb says this to them, the poor person will end up in a hospital for mental diseases :lol:

However, I can't even imagine how bad all of them feel with this alcohol and stuff- it makes you feel super weak and tired and the touring is exhausting too no matter that this is the life that they wanted. It would be good for them to do sth about their health but they won't - stubborn ppl. However, the only thing that the fans can do is to wish them luck with everything they do and hope that some day a flowerpot will fall on their heads and finally the dudes will wake up from this unhinged dream they are living in and do sth about themselves. btw, do they have dogs or sth :D they can run with them like a 1st step for a healthy life (which for metal animals like them is so- so impossible) :danceboy:

You just need three things: inspiration, potential and the opportunity to change. Inspiration is the sunlight, potential is the seed, and opportunity is the fertile soil.

and hope that some day a flowerpot will fall on their heads and finally the dudes will wake up from this unhinged dream

I just hope when that flowerpot falls they'll return to their roots with the music, I can't interrupt with their personal lives (like use of alcohol), the mindset is different so there's no comparable perspective; these guys travel the world playing this stuff so I can't get into their heads and understand what it's like. It would be absurd to suggest things like hey guys go to the hotel gym every morning and grocery store to buy celery and quit partying and smoking between shows. So this is on a general level.