Why do most metal-heads hate the more popular decent hard rock bands ?

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I can honestly say that the latest Fuel and Nickelback releases aren't that bad. I would much rather hear them on the radio than Britney Spears. I wouldn't be at this forum (though I don't post often to this subforum) if I weren't a metal-head. The newest Fuel and Nickelback haven't flown up the charts of my fave discs of the year, but they are not only a step up from the "typical" radio shit, they are a big leap.
Why is it so many people hate Nickelback and Fuel when they are pretty hard rocking bands and both play what they want to ?

Bryant

Bryant said:
I can honestly say that the latest Fuel and Nickelback releases aren't that bad. I would much rather hear them on the radio than Britney Spears. I wouldn't be at this forum (though I don't post often to this subforum) if I weren't a metal-head. The newest Fuel and Nickelback haven't flown up the charts of my fave discs of the year, but they are not only a step up from the "typical" radio shit, they are a big leap.
Why is it so many people hate Nickelback and Fuel when they are pretty hard rocking bands and both play what they want to ?

Bryant
I think those are really fair questions.
For me, there is such a lack of sincerity in their music. Better than the "typical shit" maybe, but far from the hungry raw passion we witnessed before marketing and total commercialization took over this industry.

Bryant said:

Bryant
I hate Nickelback but I like Fuel. I also really like Shinedown. Their radio songs arent nearly the best they have. Listen to the other stuff, you will be impressed

kitty6505 said:
...far from the hungry raw passion we witnessed before marketing and total commercialization took over this industry.

What do you mean, "took over"? We're talking about commerce, not art. It's the Music BUSINESS...and it's always been business BEFORE music. It has always been this way; it continues to be this way; and it shall continue that way. Remember, if it weren't for the marketing in this industry (either by the band's label, for those bands that are signed; or by the band itself...signed or not) you would never have heard of those bands you cherish so dearly.

Remember, every band's interview, feature and advertisement that you'll see in a Metal mag; every radio interview or song that gets played on a radio station; every promotional video and interview you see on television; and most every Mp3 you download from the label or the band and each interview that you see on the internet...ALL of these are simply another method of commercial marketing.

As to bands such as Fuel and Nickelback, I can't give an opinion about them simply because I haven't heard them. However, there are non-Metal bands and artists that I have heard on the radio that I can't stand either because the band/artist has: 1)written music or lyrics that is the equivalent of a cheese grater on my nerves; and/or, 2) the production of the material makes it sound just like every other artist of the genre (as often happens with the material that you'll hear on Top 40 radio stations).

Don;'t know
Just don't like any of these bands. Doesnt have good sounds for me and quite boring. I have nothing against these bands though.

Fuel is pretty decent. Nickleback has their moments but for the most part sucks, and the singer dude is a prick.

TwilightSymphony said:
What do you mean, "took over"? We're talking about commerce, not art. It's the Music BUSINESS...and it's always been business BEFORE music. It has always been this way; it continues to be this way; and it shall continue that way. Remember, if it weren't for the marketing in this industry (either by the band's label, for those bands that are signed; or by the band itself...signed or not) you would never have heard of those bands you cherish so dearly.

Ok please allow me to clarify: the "GROSS commercialization" of POPULAR music. If you want to discuss specific bands and each individual unique set of circumstances that they are signed, promoted and featured, I'm afraid I'd spend most workdays on the computer.

I still maintain however, that in spite of the marketing tools necessary to of course have access to music or art of any kind....their is a lack of sincerity and inherent realness to the music of bands like Nickelback and most of the pop punk styled trash being tossed out today. If history teaches us anything thought it's that the truly gifted will be sought out at any price. i.e. Slayer, Type O negative, etc.... Thanks for listening. ;)

Code:
[QUOTE=NAD]Nickleback has their moments but for the most part sucks, and the singer dude is a prick.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with ya here.

I like Nickelback, Fuel, Shinedown, Disturbed, and Sevendust. I just can't stand the radio shit that's out there that sounds like it's all the same. Once it started being overrun with Slipknot, Taproot, Mudvayne, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, etc. I stopped listening to regular radio and I only listen to underground stuff. I just happen to be very open-minded, yet I always prefer good Metal over anything on the radio.

Life Sucks said:
I can't stand lyrics about relationships, girls, and partying.

Indeed. Why do all these bands complain about teenage problems when they are usually in their 30's? Because that's who they are MARKETING to. Music SHOULDN'T be a business, but for the mass it is. I don't know if such bands are just immature people, but I bet a lot of them think it will sell better if they whine about teenage problems.

Just becuase it's not Britney Spears doesn't mean it's good.

I hate Nickleback and Fuel, if they were underground I still would not like them.

Sorry I was so late in responding. I appreciate the replies.

It seems like mixed reviews and the beauty of music is that different things tickle our ears and minds. My music collection is about 90% metal, but I enjoy music and don't care the genre as long as I like it.
]

Bryant

Speaking personally, it's because I don't like their music. I haven't heard either of their new releases, but I didn't like any of the old stuff. It doesn't move me emotionally, which is one black mark against it; to quote Lemmy, "rock 'n' roll ain't worth the name if it don't make ya strut" - which Nickelback and Fuel both fail to do, so that's strike two; and it has no depth and gives me nothing to think about. Strike three, they're out.

well, for me the "hard rock" artists lack any real depth in their music since mostly they sing about relationships & shit. and musically, they aren't as skilled as metal bands.

Bryant said:
Sorry I was so late in responding. I appreciate the replies.

It seems like mixed reviews and the beauty of music is that different things tickle our ears and minds. My music collection is about 90% metal, but I enjoy music and don't care the genre as long as I like it.
]

Bryant
fair enough....:)

I hate radio bands because there not hard enough. I used to dig that shit but that was long ago, and every once and awhile ill hear a good song and the radio station will beat to death I mean serious how many times can listen to a song? and to many fuckin comercails or some dambass ranting on between songs (wich is what im doing right now :loco: ) so thats why I dont like the radio all together