Why do people call CoB an emo band?

A huge part of COB's songs tell about self-destruction or depressed mental state. Especially those that Alexi composed when he was having issues (around Follow the Reaper) and later when he was having trouble with alcohol etc (around AYDY). Emo teenagers seeing a resemblance to themselves in it is irrelevant. Severe type of mental issues are not a trend, unlike emoism, and there's nothing funny about it. Emo's don't really feel like they wanna fucking die. And since the composer of COB's music happens to have dealt with serious mental issues himself, you can't say they're emo. I think it's more the general sound in their older material that makes the people who don't understand music think they're not "serious."

agreed but I always thought that emo bands were bands like bfmv and hawthorn heights and fallout boy and all those bands that wear skin tight bitch pants and dye their hair black and have it cover their eyes or some shit? :lol:

skin tight bitch pants and dye their hair black and have it cover their eyes or some shit? :lol:
you called him emo?!
_38914763_trainspotting.jpg

also, alexi dyes his hair and 'covers' his eyes too. it doesn't matter how you look as long as you're happy.
especially when you played a junkie and obi wan

^True.

agreed but I always thought that emo bands were bands like bfmv and hawthorn heights and fallout boy and all those bands that wear skin tight bitch pants and dye their hair black and have it cover their eyes or some shit? :lol:

What's up with the ''BFMV is emo'' thing? Ok, they have some clean vocals, but I don't see how that makes them emo. I don't see anyone calling In Flames emo after A Sense Of Purpose, and its vocals are as emo as Bullet's. And the guitar work on Bullet albums is definitely far from being emo.

^True.

What's up with the ''BFMV is emo'' thing? Ok, they have some clean vocals, but I don't see how that makes them emo. I don't see anyone calling In Flames emo after A Sense Of Purpose, and its vocals are as emo as Bullet's. And the guitar work on Bullet albums is definitely far from being emo.
:lol:
Sorry, but i just think BFMV is the most emo band i've ever heard, vocally and guitarwise.

I'm not overly fond of the use of the term emo really in general what with the concept underlying all music being based on connecting with peoples emotions..this whole subgenre is a fucking farce!
How can you be emo guitarwise? :err: I wouldn't say MCR's guitarwork gives off an emo feel to it really whatever that is. I can see how people can interpret emoism from Alexi's lyrics in some ways but then, like Jose said,a lot of metal lyrics revolve around self destructive behaviour and death really and they're not labelled emo. :/

I can't understand how people would lump cob into the same category as MCR and Funeral for a Friend though musically..cob are incredibly more technically talented than every other band I've heard labeled as emo..melo-death is definately a more credible category if we're gonna put a label on them at all.

Like people already said, cob getting the success they deserve for some automatically means the band is mainstream metal so not exclusive enough for those tr00 fuckwits who determine their metalness based on how many underground,obscure bands they listen to. :erk: Because emo music is 'popular' music and because more people are recognising what a good band bodom are some people are completely illogical and label them emo too.

People who label cob as emo obv have only heard the songs bed of razors and blooddrunk and the like (that have no other comparison to emo other than lyricwise),are mentally challenged,or are dismissing them because they have a lot of fans. I don't really think their opinion counts.

Sorry, but i just think BFMV is the most emo band i've ever heard, vocally and guitarwise.
Funeral for a friend?

Btw. have you ever heard of beeing...how it's called... it has something to do with Japan Rock...v.. It's nearly the same as emo but they only listen to japanese bands.

I think it's called visual kei or something. You really have to google for some pics!

alice-nine.JPG

Really? Besides the changes on the vocals from scream to clean and the bassist haircut I don't see what may seem emo about them if you give them a couple of listens. And if you call them emo because of the vocals then why don't we call Divine Heresy emo? :)

Funeral for a friend?

Btw. have you ever heard of beeing...how it's called... it has something to do with Japan Rock...v.. It's nearly the same as emo but they only listen to japanese bands.

I think it's called visual kei or something. You really have to google for some pics!

alice-nine.JPG

Since my sister is one of those, I can answer that.

Visual Kei is a.. clothing style, or just a "look" in general, that makes boys look like girls, iirc :lol:

Also people who only listen to japan rock/music, reads animes and shit like that, is called "Weeaboos".

:)

Funeral for a friend?

alice-nine.JPG

:lol:galileo?

They do have this image, though. I wouldn't necessarily connect it with emo music, but more on the punk-rock side.
But about the music, honestly, I don't see the "emo-ness" in it at all. Maybe the lyrics can make you go hmmm a bit, but they're usually so powerful, sharp and aggressive, that I wouldn't label them anywhere near emo.
But anyway, this concept has gotten really wide nowadays. People see 'outcasts' as emo, no matter what they're actually like and the friggin' music they play. And usually, people who do this kind of classification have no idea about the band they're talking about OR what emo influences are, they just talk crap.

sadly? i think it's funny but also that
itsatrap.jpg
for (drunk) guys.

:lol: So true.

And while there are definitely people who take things too far, and dumb kids who are just melodramatic and/or following a trend, I agree that there are just as many people who will call almost anything outside the norm, "emo". Like the stupid chav/jock/rap/etc kids who will do that to anything remotely different to them.

I also never understood what makes some music emo. Sure lyrics can express certain emotion but how can that make music itself emo?

Sorry, but visual kei is not nearly the same as emo. Visual kei is just a look of the bands that goes "well" with the music they make... Also visual kei is not the same as j-rock because visual kei bands play just about any kind of music...

Visual Kei is a.. clothing style, or just a "look" in general, that makes boys look like girls, iirc :lol:

That's kind of true, but they don't always look like girls. But when they do, they are usually prettier... :loco:

Like these guys.

:lol: That's the same person, Mana. But if you think (I'm not saying you are) that they are gay because they look feminine and would not listen to their music because of that, that would be plain stupid. Both Mana and the other guy whose picture you posted, Hizaki, made some very nice music imo. You can try listening to their bands if you want. Mana was in Malice Mizer and is in Moi Dix Mois and Hizaki was in Hizaki Grace Project and is in Versailles...

I'm just saying be open minded...

Sorry for the long post

People see 'outcasts' as emo, no matter what they're actually like and the friggin' music they play. And usually, people who do this kind of classification have no idea about the band they're talking about OR what emo influences are, they just talk crap.

wat? i would call them stoner, loner, freak, bum or whatever but who does see emos in every 'outcast'?:lol:
i think people see emos in other people who dress like the stereotypical emo. if being an outcast means looking like this
emo.jpg
or that
Emo-Kids_I_167.jpg
or him
emo_hitler.jpg

you got a pretty strange concept about outcasts :lol:
just nail polish or drain pipes don't bring the emo look, it's about the complete appearance,that has nothing to do with just being a outcast. acutally it's the other way round, emos are everywhere :lol:

:lol: That's the same person, Mana. But if you think (I'm not saying you are) that they are gay because they look feminine and would not listen to their music because of that, that would be plain stupid. Both Mana and the other guy whose picture you posted, Hizaki, made some very nice music imo. You can try listening to their bands if you want. Mana was in Malice Mizer and is in Moi Dix Mois and Hizaki was in Hizaki Grace Project and is in Versailles...

I'm just saying be open minded...

Sorry for the long post

I actually like a lot of J-rock, including bands that have (or did at some point) that visual kei image. Gackt, Dir En Grey, Due Le Quartz/Miyavi, L'Arc en Ciel, etc.

It's just enjoyable to poke fun at them. The whole thing is really just silly, if you think about it. It has no bearing on the music, and it doesn't necessarily mean they're gay or anything, but it's still quite ridiculous and funny.