Why do people take metal so seriously?

Hehehehe. Check out the songs We Stood With Time and Longing For Eden's Rain, but if you find their album don't think twice and pick it up. You won't be disappointed.

I think there's something so complete about a good Motorhead, Celtic Frost, Venom, or Satyricon song that you can't fight it. There are fun dunderhead metal riffs, but that's true of any music. Even the simple early Black Sabbath has a magical quality. It's very powerful, and very sophisticated.

The taking-too-serious comes into play with all kinds of other issues we're talking about that ultimately aren't about the music.

Another way to phrase the question: Why are metalheads so self-conscious?

self-con·scious (slfknshs)
adj.
1. Aware of oneself as an individual or of one's own being, actions, or thoughts.
2. Socially ill at ease: The self-conscious teenager sat alone during lunch.
3. Excessively conscious of one's appearance or manner: The self-conscious actor kept fixing his hair.
4. Showing the effects of self-consciousness; stilted: self-conscious prose.

I'm thinking he implied self-conscious with a negative connotation, so probably definition two or three.

Most rock fans are complete idiots. I don't know if that's what you're referring to?
I think one thing that I have found with the people that are into the underground scene, is that they are more passionate & IT IS their lifestyle. I sometimes find myself thinking "this is pretty crazy." You know what? It is! It takes a person to be a little off his rocker to be a dedicated fan & have a love for the music!

Yes, I know the meaning of self-conscious, I just wanted to know how 'why are metallers so self-conscious' was another way of rephrasing the original question of the thread.

One thing I've noticed with many metal fans is this whole "Tr00" bullshit flying around. It seems to me that your generic metal fan needs the kind of music that he can headbang and mosh to.. and anything that doesn't fall under that umbrella is instantly tossed out as "utter crap".

Of course, there are ALWAYS exceptions to the norm, but I've noticed this a lot, especially when talking about more experiemental bands like Arcturus with some more 'hardcore' metal fans.

A better question might be why people like the guy who made this thread think they have somthing worthwhile to comment on when this stuff is as tired and generic as it comes. Who cares what you think of metal fans, grow a brain.

Necro Joe said:
A better question might be why people like the guy who made this thread think they have somthing worthwhile to comment on when this stuff is as tired and generic as it comes. Who cares what you think of metal fans, grow a brain.
Nothing on this here thread is more "generic" than your "canned" response to the original question! Now put your jacket with the extra long sleeves on & get back into you padded cell!!!!!:loco:

Necro Joe said:

This thread is more interesting to me than people praising the same five bands over and over in every thread, or the infinite boring polls. Grow a brain? I think all of the thought contained within this thread is probably more than the ten preceeding or following it. Im sorry you might have have thought for once because of my thread. You must not be used to thinking; soI understand why you would be confused on the matter of which one of us needs a brain. WHo cares what I think of metal? Well... me, you, and most other people who fealt like reading, nevermind replying to this thread.

SADUDE said:
Maybe it is stupid...just as stupid as sitting around here getting giddy about symphony X, or Opeth or 'insert fanboy sausage fest'. I like to think about things sorry. We or metalheads I should say, should be open to criticism. People who aren't open to evaluate themselves are worthless to a society.
Whats wrong about getting excited about something you love? Of course over excitement is rather annoying... IMO it's very stoopid to "worship" something, to have an Idol. But this isnt particular for metal. In fact in pop colture its much more common. And it creeps me too. But you should accept that there are people that lack of self opinionated thoughts and acting the way they do is probably the only way they how to. However having great appritiation to a band you love, I dont see nothing wrong with that. As long as you dont push yourself beyond "Worshipping" lines.
No doubt that evaluation is important. However often the crticism comes from ppl who are widely influenced by stereotypes and prejudices.

Ginja_Ninja said:
agrees wid whoever started this thread

i see a lot more chicks at a gay pub than i would at a metal gig/concert

doesn't that tell you something?
So? That doesnt make them gay! Its like going to a soccer game in England.... you'll see a shitload of men sitting in pubs later on - and I dont think they're gay....

speed said:
The sad thing is, that these losers are not aware of how idiotic their love for metal is; hell look at the posts so far, metal fans still defend themselves for being giddy fans. Metal is a form of religion to these people, instead of going to church, they go to concerts with like minded sheep. Instead of reading the bible and prayers etc, they listen to metal all day. Instead of wearing crosses and WWJD bands, they wear band shirts, and grow their hair long.
So what? You say that it's as a religion.... no different than others. Perhaps. What is for sure that if Metal is a religion, its followers are similar in a way to all other followers of other religions, hense why accentuate metal? Besides there is BIG difference between ppl who grow long hair and wear band shirts (which is occaisionaly not a bad thing) and ppl that metal is all they have in life.

speed said:
Can we change this religion? No. People for whatever pyschological or social reason, wish to find a group, and a set of beliefs. Once they find this group, they will defend it with zeal. Those of us who find these groups idiotic, and wish to find ourselves -not through any group or set form of beliefs; will always wonder this earth questioning why people have such a need to identify with others beliefs and not find their own. I am sounding a bit like Nietzsche here, oh well.
There's a point here. People have reasons, and I think there should be seen the difference between them. One may become metalhead because he thinks its cool and basically because he is a poser, Other may become a metalhead past a long time of inner seeking for his own identity, they will become what they think is their individuality. Unfirtunatelly there are very little of real individuals. After all, if all were individuals, wtf they'd gather in packs?:headbang:

speed said:
Personally I totally identify with you Sadude. I never go to any concerts anymore, as i am quite tired with dealing with these people. I dont really associate anymore with people into metal, as they seem stuck to this i'm a heavy metal fan attitude and belief system, they do not grow. Unfortunately, it seems only those people that are part of the heavy metal cult, have even heard of the same bands i like, so it is a catch 22, my favorite music metal, is almost dead for me socially, it is a hidden part of my life.
If I go to a concert, I go because there's a good band coming up, not because I want to see other metalheads. Of course I'll go with friends, but again, the reason isn't social but musical.

speed said:
Oh, merry christmas everyone, unless you are a satanist, or neonazi- which i know there are a few of around here. Christmas is a fun pagan holiday anyway.
Merry Chrismas to you too, and happy new year.

Guardian Of Darkness said:
I find that the people who tend to take metal seriously are the people who appreciate it as art, rather than entertainment.

'sup yo im a metal metalhead its who i am METAL UP YER ASS i wear leather got a motorbike y'know \m/' posts are about as clever as Linkin Park's lyrics.
I agree 100%. I believe that as much as being a poser is shitty, so is being "TRUE" and shit, like some fucks (Burzum comes in mind), stupid fucks the urn churches (I just cant see any fun in doing so). Nevertheless I'm convinced that it could be worse.... Its a good thing that such ppl are about 0.0x% of the metalheads.

sixxswine said:
Ah, Hablas espanol? Cabron, lo que apreden los guerros?!
Uhhh...lo siento. Yo debo haber dicho...yo la hablo un poco.

It's what I get learning from tapes and mail-order books.