Why do people take metal so seriously?

Beorn of MythOdeviL said:
So? That doesnt make them gay! Its like going to a soccer game in England.... you'll see a shitload of men sitting in pubs later on - and I dont think they're gay....

oh yes, when you have a large congregation of males with long hair, you have to wonder if they are #1 confused or #2 why are there so many members of the male genre and not females?

we have a saying here where i live, soccer are for poofters and rugby are for both real men and women! and i couldn't agree more! so there you have it.

Just to put a few of my views across:
I have never called myself a metalhead. This is because the 'metalhead' label fits me into a stereotype that I'd prefer not to be part of.

I have never grown my hair long, because I find short hair comfortable and don't want to risk losing that comfort for little or no benefit.

Metal is something that enjoy more than virtually everything else, so I do take it a little seriously. I spend lots of time studying it and lots of time listening to it. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking metal seriously, nor do I think there is anything wrong with not taking it seriously. It all depends on what metal gives you - whether it's a cheap thrill, or deep thought provocation.

It annoys me when people claim that metal shouldn't be taken seriously because it's 'stupid' or 'unsophisticated', because I believe that is highly incorrect.

SADUDE said:
This thread is more interesting to me than people praising the same five bands over and over in every thread, or the infinite boring polls. Grow a brain? I think all of the thought contained within this thread is probably more than the ten preceeding or following it. Im sorry you might have have thought for once because of my thread. You must not be used to thinking; soI understand why you would be confused on the matter of which one of us needs a brain. WHo cares what I think of metal? Well... me, you, and most other people who fealt like reading, nevermind replying to this thread.
Trying to make people feel ashamed for being passionate about music is a pathetic waste of time. Try to "fit in" if you must but don't inflict your worthless populist way of thinking on the rest of us.

sixxswine said:
Nothing on this here thread is more "generic" than your "canned" response to the original question! Now put your jacket with the extra long sleeves on & get back into you padded cell!!!!!:loco:
Are you trying to tell me that the depiction of metalheads as nihlistic dweebs with no social lives isn't generic? Trying to avoid being classed as a metalhead because your afraid of a stereotype just shows a severe lack of self-confidence.

Necro Joe said:
Trying to avoid being classed as a metalhead because your afraid of a stereotype just shows a severe lack of self-confidence.
I don't actually put effort into avoiding it because that's a complete waste of time. I also don't put any effort into fitting the stereotype, though.

Guardian Of Darkness said:
It annoys me when people claim that metal shouldn't be taken seriously because it's 'stupid' or 'unsophisticated', because I believe that is highly incorrect.
But I never said that. In fact, I find that incorrect as well. But I do find the genre very unsophisticated.

Hell, I still listen to it, and take it seriously. I just think most people take it too seriously.

I don't actually put effort into avoiding it because that's a complete waste of time. I also don't put any effort into fitting the stereotype, though.
I don't fit the stereotype, either. But it's funny, because technically, I'm more of a metalhead than all the smelly, long-haired, shits I see walking around most of the time.

anonymousnick2001 said:
I don't fit the stereotype, either. But it's funny, because technically, I'm more of a metalhead than all the smelly, long-haired, shits I see walking around most of the time.
Depends how you'd define 'metalhead'. Is it simply a fan of metal? Or is it someone who has long hair, 'metal' clothes, etc etc. Many would argue that it's the latter, hence terms like 'you are so not metal' popping up whenever someone does something that doesn't fit the stereotype.

i find it too be more metal if you don't fit the sterotypes, i don't have long hair, i wear what some would call preppy clothes, i'm into metal for the music not for the image.

Guardian of Darkness said:
I'd love to know which planet you're on, Tindor. :err:
I'll restate that in full agreement and wonder.

Depends how you'd define 'metalhead'. Is it simply a fan of metal? Or is it someone who has long hair, 'metal' clothes, etc etc. Many would argue that it's the latter, hence terms like 'you are so not metal' popping up whenever someone does something that doesn't fit the stereotype.
I always use that term anytime someone does something uncool, like makes fun of someone's mother, or threatens to stop listening to a band because of something the lead singer said, or something stupid like that.

I think metalheads are those that fit the stereotype. I used to think it was anyone that liked metal, but I've seen the bottom of the barrel. I want no part in that. I've also seen the cream of the crop. People at pop concerts wearing brutal death shirts and still enjoying the music. People I knew long ago as "metalheads" listening to jazz. I'd rather be that, but in order to do so, I can't be a metalhead. And that's fine. I'd rather be diverse in my tastes.

Tindor said:
i find it too be more metal if you don't fit the sterotypes, i don't have long hair, i wear what some would call preppy clothes, i'm into metal for the music not for the image.
Agreed.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Yeah, me too. Except I'll wear a metal tee once in a while.
Yeah well, I don't even have a metal shirt :lol: In fact, the only things I have that are related to metal are a metallica wallet with a chain and some rings.