Why do people take metal so seriously?

Ok Anonymous Nick, Aristotelian logic is: if A is good, then all of A must be good, thus B and all of B is bad. Examples would be politics, if one is a Democrat( being A in this example), then all democrats are good, and their policies etc., and thus all Republicans( being B in this example) are bad and everything about them is bad. Now think about this, and you will discover how widely used this form of logic is. ( and its not as if people know it is aristotelian logic).

monikaedv said:
@anonymousnick: no, I didn't read that section, but I do think metal can be sophisticated. I don't really listen to many metal bands anymore but bands like Cynic, Aghora, Virus, Carcass (Heartwork and Swansong, that is) and Maudlin of the Well are pretty much what I'd call sophisticated.
Can you please tell me why? What makes them sophisticated?

speed said:
Ok Anonymous Nick, Aristotelian logic is: if A is good, then all of A must be good, thus B and all of B is bad. Examples would be politics, if one is a Democrat( being A in this example), then all democrats are good, and their policies etc., and thus all Republicans( being B in this example) are bad and everything about them is bad. Now think about this, and you will discover how widely used this form of logic is. ( and its not as if people know it is aristotelian logic).
Ah, I see. So it's generalization bullshit. :lol:

Was this Aristotle's way of thinking, or did he just isolate and study the phenomenon?

anonymousnick2001 said:
Can you please tell me why? What makes them sophisticated?

I think the music is quite advanced and complex. Maybe Aghora could be viewed as some kind of wank metal, but I think it seems like more than showing off (I might be wrong of course) some technique. And the guitar solos on "Heartwork" are just yummy! Very tasteful. Except that one on "Death Certificate".... pretty average stuff.

I must admit that it's very long since I read the lyrics of Carcass, Aghora or Cynic (and I never read the lyrics of MotW or Virus) and I don't remember much of them now but when I read them I thought they were intelligent and interesting. Hmmm, maybe not the more religious stuff of Aghora and who knows if I have understood anything of what the bands meant to say but to me it seemed sophisticated.

SADUDE said:
It amazes me how people can take this entertainment so seriously. It has become a sub-culture and a lifestyle to some. Most are easily offended by jokes or even insults towards metal or a a particular sub-culture. Power metal well...hahahah nothing really needs to be said. Speed has freed me from saying what i have to about power metal. But when you think about death and black are just about as rediculous. I have yet to hear anything intelligent, so im glad i can't understand the lyrics. I don't want to. Do those dumbasses in Norway think by burning down churches they are going to get rid of chrisitianity? I don't call myself a metalhead cause i hate the scene. It is full of whiny bitches desperately in need of a social life. I don't even go to shows much anymore because the image and scene is so utterly retarded. Im The fanbase is like 99.9% male and most are homosexual groupies to the bands. It makes me sick when i go to shows and see people hovering around the bands tour bus or wherever, trying to get some autograph or picture with them. What kind of IN SYNC shit is that? Metal is the skeleton in my closet that I am ashamed of, and try to hide. I love it nonetheless.

Go listen to some RAP CRAP SADUDE!!! U fuckin POSER!!!! How dare u insult Death Metal????

METAL ONLY HERE.And I dont think that all Metal is "good".For example,the NU/Pop Metal is crap. Same goes for Grunge.And I feel real insulted when people "stereotype" Metal fans as being stupid,drug using, Satan worshipping freaks.Im neither of those.Yes,METAL is my lifestyle.Without it life would be more "boring" than it already is

AgentsofBrutality said:
Go listen to some RAP CRAP SADUDE!!! U fuckin POSER!!!! How dare u insult Death Metal????
You do realize that you're giving even more power to his opinion by giving such a thoughtless post?

If you don't have anything good to contribute to this thread and all you want is to start a flame war you might as well fuck off.

I guess one reason for many people taking metal too seriously is that the most bands also take themselves too seriously. Or, they portray themselves in a too serious way.

Take for instance singing about elves and witches or Satan and demons without putting just a little sense of humour or a bit self-irony in it.

And how about these "evil" photos with weapons? We know they're not gonna use these bats and guns and swords, so why do they try to look scary??? If it was done with a little bit humour, it COULD be cool but as it is... bah... I don't doubt that most of the bands laugh about it while they are at the photo shoot but when the photos don't show this side of it, it doesn't help - to me it looks pathetic...

Haha, people are funny.

I love my metal, and I listen to alot of other music as well. I'm not an elitist and etc. I think music is what it is. Music is an art, it is entertainment. You could say the same thing about celebrities and many other "artists".

There are sophisticated movies, and visual arts, just like there is sophisticated metal.
I totally missed the point of this thread. But I sorta agree with you SADUDE. :D

I think metal is a genre of music where most of its subgenres are very stagnant, and the elitists bash anything that tries to be innovative. Everyone should stop being such music nazis.

Aristotelian logic is the easiest to adapt to because it requires the least amount of thought. Human beings are only animals, a lot of people forget this. We tend to stereotype, generalize, and just go with the flow because it's the path of least resistance. We are predisposed to this type of behavior because we are finite and full of contradictions and hypocrisy. We are ALL sheep, it's a fact. It's only the black sheep of the flock that stand out, such as I am. But I'm still a part of the species.

I probably shouldnt have posted about the whole aristotelian logic thing, its an apt point that really fits quite well with the whole cult of serious metal fans, yet Im not trying to talk over anyones head- sorry if i did.

I hate people that throw in things to sound smart when they have no relevance at all to the topic.

No offence to anyone, but everyone who agrees with and including SADUDE are hypocrits, the basis of this thread is why do we care what people think of us. Everything we do revolve around what other people think. Say you wanted to wear pink underwear. You wouldnt do it publicly, becuase of what people would think of you. Same as people who wear band shirts and grow long hair, they wish to be accepted by like-minded people. I personaly, go with the I-dont-give-a-shit look, i just throw on what ever i see in the top of my drawer, and dont fix my hair, just let it be. I only got one band shirt, and the rest are not anything fancy. The days i accidently do match, where i have say wearing all green (which has happend to me) and i dont notice untill im at school already i think, fuck not again.

If I see a long-haired person wearing a black leather jacket with Venom and Bathory patches and a Nifelheim shirt or something like that, I assume he's worth talking to because we obviously share at least SOME values and views (or at least he can give me some snus if I'm out), but if I see some guy wearing green shorts, a blue/pink striped sweatshirt and mismatching sandals (Add short hair to that), I probably wouldn't consider it. Then again, you people probably wouldn't want to talk to me, wearing black jeans, a Mayhem t-shirt under a Darkthrone longsleeve and having long hair.

monikaedv said:
...but bands like Cynic, Aghora, Virus, Carcass (Heartwork and Swansong, that is) and Maudlin of the Well are pretty much what I'd call sophisticated.

Especially the first two:headbang: . Too bad that the rythm section for Aghora isnt that good anymore since the bassist left....

Actually, as all other music, Metal is music with wide assortiment of sub-genres.... Take Immortal for instance and compare it to Cynic - They're really far to be alike but yet they are metal. The point is that I dont think that a metal fan should be cathegorized as METAL FAN, I believe that the genre differencies must be concidered. Prog Metal fans are nothing to be compared to BM fans. Due to the versatility of Metal and its many faces, not only metalheads and headbangers (sinonimous terms I think) listen to metal. Hell, even my mom liked metal, and she's very far even from rock. But that doesnt meen that she'll go to a show and rip the mosh (A phenomenon I'm hard to understand, since I go to shows to listen to music, not hurt myself). I tend to agree though that the excitment of the "Average" metal fan is simlar somewhat to the excitement of a Pop fan. The pose part is especially annoying (Look ma! I got that roll of toilet paper :)Puke:) that the DRUMMER/GUITARIST/VOCALIST/OTHER of [Insert Random Metal Band Name Here]wiped his ass with!!!!!!! :worship: :hotjump: :worship:) - Thats rather stupid :ill:. But again, this is not unique to metal fans.
So, perhaps we're ought to discuss not the metal fan but the phenomenon and the behaviour of a FAN in general:err: ?

Sorath said:
If I see a long-haired person wearing a black leather jacket with Venom and Bathory patches and a Nifelheim shirt or something like that, I assume he's worth talking to because we obviously share at least SOME values and views (or at least he can give me some snus if I'm out), but if I see some guy wearing green shorts, a blue/pink striped sweatshirt and mismatching sandals (Add short hair to that), I probably wouldn't consider it. Then again, you people probably wouldn't want to talk to me, wearing black jeans, a Mayhem t-shirt under a Darkthrone longsleeve and having long hair.
Sure, long hair and metal band t-shirts are important if you want to attract other 'metallers'. Then again, being anti-social is also part of the metal image. Heh.

Ok, I guess I need to need to further clarify the obvious to the people that bashed me, and completely missed my point(s). I am seperating the music(which I do enjoy) from the scene and homoerotic fanboys such as yourselves. After making my sociological observations and reflecting upon the thread thus far, I have become aware of some flaws. The things I criticize in the metal scene and fans are common genetic deficiencies that characterize many other music sub-cultures, or groups of people in general. I am glad to see some people out there are similare to myself. Some people do think of this stuff, or just think in general. A rare find indeed...
Threads like these are really beneficial to my self-acctualization. I think I may have found where metal's place is in my life. As simple as it may seem. It serves as my (mental) escape from the idiocy that accompanies a body of people. My dissapointment with other metal fans is because for the most part they still have, and bring the traits that I hate from society into metal itself(where I go to avoid these things).