Why does Anthrax seem to HATE the POT album?

kirkland

Jan 30, 2011
I think Persistence of Time is their best all around album, it was the album that took Anthrax to the big time.. it seems many others think the same. But why does the band seems to always exclude this albums songs when they play live? I really don't understand it. All we usually get is "Got The Time" and that gets old really fast. The new setlist when I saw them had zero songs from POT, but apparently now they are doing "Got The Time". They played "only" but nothing from POT. I don't get it.

Has the band said any reasoning behind why they rarely play anything from arguably their best album?

I think Persistence of Time is their best all around album, it was the album that took Anthrax to the big time.. it seems many others think the same. But why does the band seems to always exclude this albums songs when they play live? I really don't understand it. All we usually get is "Got The Time" and that gets old really fast. The new setlist when I saw them had zero songs from POT, but apparently now they are doing "Got The Time". They played "only" but nothing from POT. I don't get it.

Has the band said any reasoning behind why they rarely play anything from arguably their best album?

I agree. POT is an amazing album.
I've not read any comments form the band as to why so few of the tunes from that album a featured in their live set.

However, I wonder if the reason can in fact be that the album is so conistent and complete. The older records are perhaps more "varied", and are thus known for containing stand out tracks that are easily recoginsable live favourites. POT, on the other hand, is more a "complete experience" (save for Got the Time), which makes it more challenging to pick individual tracks from that album for the live setting.

I dunno...I'm ranting, but I do love POT, and to me it's just one of those albums that I frequently listen to in it's entirety without skipping any songs.

Only thing I can think of is that on PoT there's a lot of classic Anthrax songs to the true old school Anthrax fans (eg Time, KIITF, In My World, Belly would be the immediate 4 I'm thinking)......... but these tunes - as goddamn classic and great as they are - aren't classic Anthrax tunes to the more casual fans.

Don't get me wrong - I love these tunes and the PoT record as much as you do - it'd be my 2nd fave all time Anthrax record - but these songs are no Madhouse or Caught in a Mosh in terms of popularity to the more casual Anthrax fan. Sadly it is these fans that always get catered for.

I remember seeing Anthrax in 1990 at the rip old age of 13 and they played Time, KIITF, In My World, Intro to Reality, Belly, and Got the Time. I was in 7th heaven!

However, I wonder if the reason can in fact be that the album is so conistent and complete. The older records are perhaps more "varied", and are thus known for containing stand out tracks that are easily recoginsable live favourites. POT, on the other hand, is more a "complete experience" (save for Got the Time), which makes it more challenging to pick individual tracks from that album for the live setting.
That is a very good point, I think you said that very well. POT is not an album of singles as much as it is a masterpiece.

I wouldn't be to concerned,pot has featured plenty over the years,resting it on 1st part of touring doesn't seem that big a deal,I'd love if they kept 4 to 5 new songs in set

I f'n love "Got the Time" but I would also like to see "Intro to Reality/Belly". I am not so sure alot of the other songs would go over well for reasons others have stated. I wish SOE was represented more live..

Only thing I can think of is that on PoT there's a lot of classic Anthrax songs to the true old school Anthrax fans (eg Time, KIITF, In My World, Belly would be the immediate 4 I'm thinking)......... but these tunes - as goddamn classic and great as they are - aren't classic Anthrax tunes to the more casual fans.

Don't get me wrong - I love these tunes and the PoT record as much as you do - it'd be my 2nd fave all time Anthrax record - but these songs are no Madhouse or Caught in a Mosh in terms of popularity to the more casual Anthrax fan. Sadly it is these fans that always get catered for.

I remember seeing Anthrax in 1990 at the rip old age of 13 and they played Time, KIITF, In My World, Intro to Reality, Belly, and Got the Time. I was in 7th heaven!

Good point. Yeah I agree about the lack of POT in the set. I saw 'em too in 1990. I was only 17 then LOL. Time and KIITF are my 2 all time faves from that album, would love to hear those live again. Some songs will never be played live like "Discharge" and "Gridlock". Those that got to see my vid of me playing Gridlock would have noticed. It's also a MOFO on the drums. Great as they are, maybe they are too difficult to play properly live. I remember Scott saying in "06" when they played "Skeletons" the reason it had been left out was because they were a bit lazy and it was hard to play live. Some songs are bound to be "studio only" forever. I would love for Anthrax to prove me wrong about this though. :headbang:

I f'n love "Got the Time" but I would also like to see "Intro to Reality/Belly". I am not so sure alot of the other songs would go over well for reasons others have stated. I wish SOE was represented more live..

They did "Time" "Keep it In The Family" and "In My World" not too long ago and they went over very well. They always have. I can promise you they will go over better than "only" "im alive" and "in the end"

What's with the hate for I'm Alive and In the End?

Is it "they're new, so it's crap"?

In the End is Awesome. I guess it's just personal taste. Personal taste doesn't determine whether something is crap or not though, we like what we like and that's it.

They did "Time" "Keep it In The Family" and "In My World" not too long ago and they went over very well. They always have. I can promise you they will go over better than "only" "im alive" and "in the end"

I am sure they would go over better.... Those are the 3 big clunkers in the setlist IMO..

Not for me.. I don't like "I'm Alive" at all but it has nothing to do with it being new.. I think "Fight Em" and "Devil You Know" stand up with any Anthrax classics.. Love em..

thats a good ? im going to the M&G on oct 30 in houston i'll ask them especially joe or charlie they seem to be the more level headed ones to answer that ?

While we wait for the 'official' answer, here's a run down of a couple of things (NOT FACTS, because non of the things i'm going to type has ever been released as official statements or official data..so...)

1) the band got a new album, so it is normal for a band to include more new songs in their set.
2) lack of certain songs from certain album is also normal, for even other mega monster band like Maiden is doing it.
3) the band still not having a longer showtime, if they have..say a 2 hr set then your wish, my dear Kirkland, shall come true!
4) maybe..only maybe..the band has some other setlist in store..u know ..play less ATL, more POT..or or...play less ATL, play more SOE..or or..