Why is Ghost Reveries regarded as a "sellout" by so many?

"selling" out to me, in modern day music is considered a band going mainstream, which Opeth is not. The way I look at is and you can quote me on this, music is music whether it be mainstream or underground if its good its good and thats all that matters.
I guess I wouldnt cosider it a sellout they did sign with a larger label, but not in the sense that Metallica sold out. The record label and Bob Rock forced a change to Metallica's sound to make them more marketable for the likes of "nu metal" and not stay in their progressive roots which is what made them who they were. I personally used to love Metallica until about "Load." Then the radio killed them for me and all of the songs sounded the same and were not that good anyway and their newer shit is even worse. Opeth stayed with their plan and may have had some imput by the label, but to use Metallica as a litmus test, do you think a track like Dispoable Heros or Blackened can be found anywhere on or after the "Black" album? No, and there is a reason for that. Heir Apparent is clearly in line with Opeth as was Ghost of Perdition so other than a few more slower songs with brilliantly beautiful lyrics I dont see a lot of evidence lending to the "sell out" tag.

Because Western people don't grow their food, hunt for their meat, drill a well for their water or manage their soiled waters so these enlighted citizens of Earth have way too many time on their hands which lead them to believe they are entilted to shit on bands and their intentions when they record music giving them the impression they have pubic hair and a personality because you know, they are not the sheep, they are the leader of the pack of the free world.

this has to be the highlight of this laughable thread

"selling" out to me, in modern day music is considered a band going mainstream, which Opeth is not. The way I look at is and you can quote me on this, music is music whether it be mainstream or underground if its good its good and thats all that matters.

well, opeth have been a lot more mainstream starting with ghost reveries. i'm not going to say that ghost reveries and watershed are mainstream albums, but they are definitely fairly mainstream metal albums. i've seen 15 year old emo kids wearing ghost reveries shirts, it's disgusting. my point is that artists know when they're going to gain popularity in the business, and they also know what measures they're going to have to take to stay on top. opeth have clearly taken the necessary measures, i'm not going to say that they've sold out, but i will say that i personally feel a diminished integrity on ghost reveries and watershed.

to say "music is music" and "if it's good then it's good" is all true of course, but you also have to take a look at the context of the music and the band's history if you want to make a more meaningful interpretation...

I'd be disgusted if I saw a tool like Philno wearing an Opeth shirt too.

when something defies explanation, it is unexplainable. you meant to say that my posts lack explanation, but you wanted to sound smarter than you really are. it's okay. you're a fragile guy.

That's right there is no way to logically explain for the things you say. You're just a tool.

I think the problem with GR is that it came after that great Steven Wilson trilogy and compared to it isn't as strong. However, Opeth expanded their sound (in great part thanks to Per) and it opened for such a revolutionary release as Watershed. And hopefully others that have yet to come.:kickass:

so... i'm like some sort of pessimistic computer system that randomly generates unexplainable posts lacking in explanation? :lol:

I have been listening to GR the last several days and have developed a new appreciation for it.

Is the whole "sellout" accusation solely because the band became more high-profile all of a sudden?

Because musically, I'm not seeing it. This is the most complex, mysterious, and inaccessible record the band has put out to date, IMO. There's certainly nothing here as remotely poppy as some of the stuff on BWP or Damnation. Hardly a recipe for a "sellout" album.

Anybody got any thoughts?

It's because the song most people associate with the album is The Grand Conjuration, and there are aspects of that song that remind some people of typical Roadrunner garbage.

I just had a really long set of carrides, and found it in me to listen to Blackwater Park, Deliverance, and Ghost Reveries consecutively. And is it just me, or is GR the most JOYFUL of the studio albums that Opeth have released?

^ hmm. Personally I'd say Watershed is the most joyful Opeth release..just listen to the start of Hessian Peel, for example.

i think morningrise is the most joyful opeth release. just listen to the end of black rose immortal

Then Mikael drops a post "Guys, I totally sold out when it came to the Ghost Reveries album. :rolleyes:"

Illidan, do you mean "JOYFUL" as in happy, or aurally pleasing? I definitely find it to be the latter. It's about time people started praising this record. It's a complete fucking masterpiece. Plus, The Grand Conjuration owns.

well, opeth have been a lot more mainstream starting with ghost reveries. i'm not going to say that ghost reveries and watershed are mainstream albums, but they are definitely fairly mainstream metal albums. i've seen 15 year old emo kids wearing ghost reveries shirts, it's disgusting. my point is that artists know when they're going to gain popularity in the business, and they also know what measures they're going to have to take to stay on top. opeth have clearly taken the necessary measures, i'm not going to say that they've sold out, but i will say that i personally feel a diminished integrity on ghost reveries and watershed.

to say "music is music" and "if it's good then it's good" is all true of course, but you also have to take a look at the context of the music and the band's history if you want to make a more meaningful interpretation...

Retard.