Why is Ghost Reveries regarded as a "sellout" by so many?

Kids, don't you ever listen !!

Learn how to grow your food, hunt for your meat and search for your water because when the oil era is over ( sooner that your lazy ass thinks !), you'll regret wasting your time and arguing about such pathetics issues.

Give it a rest already.

Enjoy the music while it lasts.

:lol:

Way too melodramatic on the entrance there pal. Fossil Fuels are already considered, and soon to truly be a thing of the past (possibly 50-100 years until depletion,) and sure the transition might put a squeeze on the people as it already has, but there are alternatives, and the only reason we haven't moved on already is because the Oil Companies are still holding on to their dying dreams with their well finance money backed strong hold that can't possibly last forever. So It's a good thing we already know that, and that some people like to plan ahead with alternatives. Isn't it? Sorry to burst your little bubble, but this isn't Mad Max here buddy. Thanks for the laugh though it will keep me all warm, and fuzzy inside when the fuel burns out ...oh, wait a minute... this isn't 1800, and the power that already supplies my house with, energy, and heat has jack shit to do with oil. Thank god!

yeah thats right, i think MIT made a breakthrough recently in the storage of solar energy, and im hoping that in the future we invest more money into renewable energy for the good of the environment

on a side note gr rules

i agree with your post. there's nothing wrong with wearing band shirts at all, but there's something wrong with 15 year old emo kids wearing opeth shirts because they thought TGC video on MTV was cool. it's totally unrepresentative of the band and it's embarrassing.

let me just end this triple post by asking you if you think that opeth back in the still life era would have released porcelain heart and it's accompanying video :erk:?

Well, the video (in general) is a major tool to advertise an album. That's something we can agree about I think. The song behind it is always the one which sounds the most mainstream. Which song would you choose on Still Life? Benighted or Face of Melinda I guess. I think Face of Melinda would be a good video single. I'd say that Porcelain Heart or TGC just don't fit on Still Life, but they fit on their respective albums.
I just can't believe that Porcelain Heart was written to be a video single. I also can't believe that it had been a complex song before RR said "make it simple". Furthermore I DO NOT think that PH is a good video single. It has a lot of different sections, the heavy riff is not very mainstream while TGCs main riff is more easy to listen to.
To answer your question: NO,..no PH on Still Life...but also no Face of Melinda on Watershed or GR.

i also disagree - i think that 15 year old emo kids should wear the opeth band shirt or whatever if they like the music, or enjoyed the grand conjuration. everyone can love a band even if they arent a devoted fan or dont completely understand the music

i also disagree - i think that 15 year old emo kids should wear the opeth band shirt or whatever if they like the music, or enjoyed the grand conjuration. everyone can love a band even if they arent a devoted fan or dont completely understand the music

dude u dont even like about 80% of the material

Opeth deservers all the attention they're getting. After all, it's about the lives of five musicians and a number of other guys and what's a better way of making one's living than by composing art.

opeth music isnt very complex hedon, and even if it was theres no reason to think that just because i dont like it that i havent understood it.

If Conjuration opens up 15 year old minds and ears to the rest of Opeths material...and gets them away from listening to some of the goofy bands out there, I have no problems with that.

I agree with this.

And yes, GR is an amazing album, especially the drumming like someone said and of course per wiberg's keyboard. Baying of the hounds anyone?

I never understood the "sellout" thing either. It goes hand-in-hand with, "oh, if you weren't into [Insert Band Name Here] since their demo years then you're not One Of Us, maaaan." It's ridiculous.

although it does kinda piss you off when you are into a band, then a couple of years later, everybody else is all over them, and you think, fuck i was with this shit from the sart.......Fuck you.

weve all experienced it

I bet it all comes from the Roadrunner shit.

The album is brilliant. I've loved Opeth for years, yet it's now my favourite Opeth album. It's probably their easiest album for anyone to get into (aside from Damnation), but it's just awesome.
The melodies, the drums, the keys. Nothing in the album is over the top, it's just silky smooth and amazing every time I listen to it.

Besides, I think any "sellout" claims would have been squashed a bit by Watershed and its huge prog sound.

GR IS a joyful album. The concept isn't attached to anything real, so you can't connect it to your own life. Like a horror movie - beautiful and entertaining.
If it wasn't so positive, I probably never would've listened to Opeth.

Opeth deservers all the attention they're getting. After all, it's about the lives of five musicians and a number of other guys and what's a better way of making one's living than by composing art.

Word.

Any artistic choice made by the artist is their choice, and their choice alone. Fans and listeners can choose to accept that or not, simple.

I personally don't hear a "softening" of their sound, more of an evolution, and much more proggy.