Why is Ghost Reveries regarded as a "sellout" by so many?

Well the term negro has connotation's with ignorance much like what comes to mind when you think Philno, but as Chris Rock says, "there are negro's, and then there are black people." So I suppose what I'm trying to say here is Philno may not be black, but he's certainly a negro.

my point is that artists know when they're going to gain popularity in the business, and they also know what measures they're going to have to take to stay on top. opeth have clearly taken the necessary measures, i'm not going to say that they've sold out, but i will say that i personally feel a diminished integrity on ghost reveries and watershed.

to say "music is music" and "if it's good then it's good" is all true of course, but you also have to take a look at the context of the music and the band's history if you want to make a more meaningful interpretation...

Jeezus Tapdancing Christ...

So let me get this straight, you're saying/overtly implying that Opeth deliberately softened their sound (aka "taking the necessary measures") to "stay on top"?! So essentially no band is allowed to progress and grow their music, to harness different inspiration and sonic diversity without fear of facing "sellout/no integrity" epithets from depressingly narrow-minded, myopic, little br00tal g00ns such as yourself? Because clearly... anyone who plays anything under 250 bpm and doesn't go all-Cookie-Monster-all-the-time is a sellout pussy with no integrity, right? Pheeeeuuuuuuuwwwww!!! :puke:

Man, how fucking depressing it must be to be you! Living in a one-dimensional, claustrophobic little box of a world and incessantly, obsessive-compulsively spewing bitter little inane digs at anything that falls outside of your mind-numbingly narrow worldview simply because you lack the capacity to understand it. And of course, anyone who disagees with you simply MUST be a "fanboy" because no one in their right mind would listen to anything with even so much as a sniff of melody or musical versatility, right? Mother of God man, reading your posts requires a heavy dose of Zoloft first it's become so damned depressing!

When I sit back and contemplate all the great shit you're missing out on simply because you're too busy being scared one of your little g00n buddies might accuse you of not being "tr00 metal", I really just feel more sorry for you than anything else anymore.

Oh well, sucks to be you!

So let me get this straight, you're saying/overtly implying that Opeth deliberately softened their sound (aka "taking the necessary measures") to "stay on top"?! So essentially no band is allowed to progress and grow their music, to harness different inspiration and sonic diversity without fear of facing "sellout/no integrity" epithets from depressingly narrow-minded, myopic, little br00tal g00ns such as yourself? Because clearly... anyone who plays anything under 250 bpm and doesn't go all-Cookie-Monster-all-the-time is a sellout pussy with no integrity, right? Pheeeeuuuuuuuwwwww!!! :puke:

Man, how fucking depressing it must be to be you! Living in a one-dimensional, claustrophobic little box of a world and incessantly, obsessive-compulsively spewing bitter little inane digs at anything that falls outside of your mind-numbingly narrow worldview simply because you lack the capacity to understand it. And of course, anyone who disagees with you simply MUST be a "fanboy" because no one in their right mind would listen to anything with even so much as a sniff of melody or musical versatility, right? Mother of God man, reading your posts requires a heavy dose of Zoloft first it's become so damned depressing!

When I sit back and contemplate all the great shit you're missing out on simply because you're too busy being scared one of your little g00n buddies might accuse you of not being "tr00 metal", I really just feel more sorry for you than anything else anymore.

What he said, or something like it but even better!

well, opeth have been a lot more mainstream starting with ghost reveries. i'm not going to say that ghost reveries and watershed are mainstream albums, but they are definitely fairly mainstream metal albums. i've seen 15 year old emo kids wearing ghost reveries shirts, it's disgusting. my point is that artists know when they're going to gain popularity in the business, and they also know what measures they're going to have to take to stay on top. opeth have clearly taken the necessary measures, i'm not going to say that they've sold out, but i will say that i personally feel a diminished integrity on ghost reveries and watershed.

to say "music is music" and "if it's good then it's good" is all true of course, but you also have to take a look at the context of the music and the band's history if you want to make a more meaningful interpretation...

Hey, I also own Opeth shirts since GR. You know why? It became much easier to obtain Opeth stuff since Roadrunner took over. And RR made Opeth definately more popular. That's for sure, but that is the result of the good work of RR. I know, some people don't like it when their favourite band gains more attention and popularity. Granted! Look at In Flames, Trivium, ... they've sold out (=change musical approach in order to make money out of it). Think again, it's their occupation. They have families to feed and stuff. The sad thing is, the quality of the music suffers because of this. To make my point: Opeth is the exception. I can't see anything on the last two records that sounds mainstream. It's just different and I'm glad that Opeth keeps progressing.

Mike met a boy wearing Vans, 501s, and a
dope Bloodbath t, pentagram rings, and
New tattoos that claimed that he
Was OG Peth,
From '94,
The first, Orchid.

And in between
Sips of Redbull
He told Mike that
He thought
Peth were sellin' out,
Layin' down,
Suckin' up
To the man.

Well now I've got some
Ad-vice for you, little buddy.
Before you point the finger
You should know that
Mike's the man,

And if Mike's the man,

Then you're the man, and
He's the man as well so you can
Point that fuckin' finger up your ass.

All you know about Mike is what he's sold you,
Dumb fuck.
Peth sold out long before you ever heard O's name.

They sold Peter's soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And you bought one.

(snip)
All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on TV
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy Mike's new record
Send more money
Fuck you, buddy.

* yeah so this is just Hooker With A Penis adjusted to make the same point. So what?

Btw, Ghost Reveries is fantastic. Watershed is pretty good too. The on;ly bad album in Opeth's discog is Deliverance.

i didn't say anything about opeth softening their sound to become more accessible. i also didn't say anything about opeth losing their "tr00 metal" roots and "deciding to sell out". i also didn't say that bands aren't allowed to progress or change their "sonic diversity". those are your words, not mine. as i've said many times previously, i actually admire bands who are constantly evolving and changing.

for a guy who is calling others narrow-minded, you're making a lot of naive and narrow-minded judgments about me. how could you say with any certainty that i'm depressed, obsessive compulsive, or narrow minded and not see the hypocrisy there? i'm all for discussing anything really, but i can see when the discussion has ended and it's only become a one-way internet ego inflation fest.

i'm not a "metal" guy at all, and i only have a few friends that actually enjoy metal. my posts here don't have any consequence on my RL, so it's pretty clear that they're unbiased. i understand that you probably didn't mean (or think) anything you said, and that it was out of rage for defending the band (clearly you couldn't actually think that you could pass all those judgments on me without sounding off as bad as you labeled me!).

going over your post again, i found a few other gems that i'd like to respond to.

people who disagree with me for the sole reason that they can't stand to see any criticism (right, wrong, either) of opeth are RIGHTFULLY labeled fanboys, not anything to do with melody of musical versatility (i really don't know where you got that from).

it also appears that you're under the impression that i'm a diehard metal head, when that couldn't be further from the truth. i only listen to a handful of metal bands (opeth being one of them) and they probably only represent 10-20% of the artists i regularly listen to. i'd say my favorite artists atm are the beatles, pink floyd, camel, deathspell omega and woven hand.

Hey, I also own Opeth shirts since GR. You know why? It became much easier to obtain Opeth stuff since Roadrunner took over. And RR made Opeth definately more popular. That's for sure, but that is the result of the good work of RR. I know, some people don't like it when their favourite band gains more attention and popularity. Granted! Look at In Flames, Trivium, ... they've sold out (=change musical approach in order to make money out of it). Think again, it's their occupation. They have families to feed and stuff. The sad thing is, the quality of the music suffers because of this. To make my point: Opeth is the exception. I can't see anything on the last two records that sounds mainstream. It's just different and I'm glad that Opeth keeps progressing.

i agree with your post. there's nothing wrong with wearing band shirts at all, but there's something wrong with 15 year old emo kids wearing opeth shirts because they thought TGC video on MTV was cool. it's totally unrepresentative of the band and it's embarrassing.

however, you have to see that opeth have made a change in their musical approach since they signed with RR. GR caused a lot of uproar amongst opeth fans when it was released (my personal reaction was a bit more timid, but i was still unimpressed). you know, mike has a family to feed too.

do you people think it's an accident that opeth now appear on the top lists in the US? mainstream acceptance, especially in metal, is ALWAYS a conscious decision on the part on the artist. don't go off quoting me that i'm saying opeth are bad because they're on the US top lists, i'm not saying that at all, and i still think that GR and watershed are decent albums.

let me just end this triple post by asking you if you think that opeth back in the still life era would have released porcelain heart and it's accompanying video :erk:?

1- They signed to RR prior to the release of the album, and people panicked fearing they would take the road some of the bands have done when signing with them, i.e changing their sound to widen their audience and make more money.
2- When it was released it was definitely their softest album minus Damnation, so I'm assuming people thought they weren't TROO anymore. I think a few chug riffs here and there had something to do with it.
3- Occult themes. Hate, Murder, Satan etc are all lyrical contexts that Opeth have had nothing to do with and when they used an Occult theme for GR people seemed to think that this was a change in their sound/themes.
Basically if they had signed to Code 666 or RR GR would have been pretty much exactly the same.

Kids, don't you ever listen !!

Learn how to grow your food, hunt for your meat and search for your water because when the oil era is over ( sooner than your lazy ass thinks !), you'll regret wasting your time and arguing about such pathetics issues.

Give it a rest already.

Enjoy the music while it lasts.

I mean joyful as in happy. Ghost Reveries sounds happy. Even minor chords. Maybe not Isolation Years. But the way the wall of sound is utilized (which it isn't as much on Watershed) with the perfect production, and the crooning.... and the end of Beneath the Mire... eh, i can't explain it.