Why is Hellhammer (the drummer) held in such high esteem?

NocturnalSun said:
I'd rather you take a big pole up your ass and die.
Is Graveworm pop? Borknagar pop? Emperor pop?
well hell, that would be like some freaky shit like melodic death pop then.

yeah, Ihaven't heard Burzum yet & my comp is crappy so d/ls take awhile so I don't d/l any Burzum. It wuz just my opinion that 1-man metal bands dont sound good. I prolly will d/l it sometime but that doesnt mean im gonna like it

Maybe he was talking about Coka-Cola :D

Anyways.....I hope you took my post with a grain of salt.....was just having fun at your expense (was kidding around :p )

I suggest you download the SONG "Det som engang var" (not the album) which is from the Hvis Lyset Tar Oss ablum first off......probably his most renowned songs imo. If you are only into fast stuff, you probably wont like Burzum though. He is darkness at its darkest, and his best stuff is tortured medium paced blackmetal played his very own style. His good songs are extremelly memorable; not your typical BM.

Also good dl's are:

Dunkelheit (From Filosophem)
Erblicket die Töchter des Firmaments (from Filosophem)
Lost Wisdom (from Det som Engang Var)
A Lost Forgotten Sad Spirit (from Aske)

To the guy who said Herrerra is better than all the other drummers...you DO realize that Herrerra's kickdrums are triggered, right?

anonymousnick2001 said:
Borknagar and Emperor are POP?!

By the way, Hellhammer's good, but I like Richard Christy, Sean Reinert, Flo Mounier, John Tempesta, Gene Hoglan, and Raymond Herrera better.

In fact, as much as the black metal elitists will bitch and moan at this, I think Raymond Herrera is the best metal drummer ever.
:ill: :puke:

All Raymond is good at is triggering his drums so he can do quick 2xBass blasts. I could do that if i had a drum kit and the correct gear. The rest of his drum work is forgetable at best.

I haven't heard DCA yet so i dont know if Nick's kit sounds so robotic like on PEM. If it does then, he's gay. He's obviously a complete demon behind his kit, so i dont understand why he needs to trigger his kit for recording an album, same goes for Pete Sandoval.

Yes, but I never said that Nick Barker was the greatest drummer in the world. Herrera IS a kickass drummer...but not the greatest in the world. The quote was something like "Herrera is the best drummer in the world" or something to that effect. I'm not saying he's shit, he's very good, but not the best.

I also listen to old Metallica...and Lars Ulrich isn't the greatest drummer, but that doesn't make Master of Puppets any less of an album...in fact, IMO, it's the greatest metal album of all time.

Can someone explain to me exactly what bass drum triggers actually are?

And, btw, I think I said that Herrera being the best drummer was MY OPINION. If not, I'll say that now. I've heard Barker and hellhammer and Mounier and Portnoy and Peart and Cavalera and Lombardo, but I still think Herrera's the best.

And did Lars Ulrich use 'triggers' on the 80's Metallica albums? If so, it might explain why I can't drum "One". I do need to know what triggers are, though.

Dick Rott said:
Hellhammer rocked, but Celtic Frost was better.

:lol:

That was great.

Anyways, I believe that triggers are (I am in no way positive about this, so please, correct me if I am incorrect) a set of devices which keeps fast drum (ie, double bass) passages in tempo via a computer. Or something like that.

Um. People use triggers to 'trigger' patches on a drum-fx system. Say you want your kicks to sound real "FAT" at one part of a song, you trigger the drum, and the input jack assigned to that drum-mic will have reverb added to it, or whatever. Its a nice feature to have. Say in a bridge you want to have your snare drum sound big and juicy so you can do errie sounding drum rolls.....guess what you do? Trigger the patch for that part! :D

That is the purpose. They don't make you faster than you are.

yeah I was just about to say that. My friend plays in a band and he uses triggers on his drums. The drums don't give for shit, tho. when u hit em, the stick doesn't bounce even a little. plays like shit, but sounds ok i guess. Think of triggers as the equivalent of an effects pedal for guitar if that helps

Yes of course they do. For one thing, its an electronic set-up, so if a drummer really wanted to, they could set it to play as many hits as they want for each time they hit the drum. Of course, I doubt many if any at all ever do that, but even when just used for one sound per hit, it still allows drummers to play faster because they don't have to hit the drums as hard; a simple tap will activate the trigger and play a full, heavy sound, so drummers can play faster (if they want to puss-out and just tap the drums) AND longer. That's part of the point when heavy/fast bands play live; no-one could really drum as fast as some death and grind allows on only an acoustic kit for a whole set....and certainly not playing every night.

I'm not slamming on ppl who use triggers...to each his own. In my opinion, however, if Dave Lombardo can get the same amount of bpm naturally that some other drummer gets with triggers, then I'd say Dave is the better drummer.