Why is Still Life criticized?

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
I have often heard people around here criticize it, but I still can't figure out why! I love all the Opeth albums, but it is definitely my favorite.

Check the off-topic forum, many members here listed Still Life as their favorite Opeth cd.

Whenever I am on this site, it seems like the most criticized Opeth cd is My Arms, Your Hearse, which is my favorite Opeth cd, and by far.

Personally, Still Life is my least favorite Opeth cd. Why? Because to me, it just doesn't have the "hooks" that the other cds have. I enjoy the first two songs, but after that, the songs seem boring or not as memorable to me as compared to their other cds, and I don't find myself wanting to go back and listen to it as much as I listen to their other cds, especially MAYH.

MAYH is the most criticized album?? it comes right behind my no.1 album BWP.
as for Still Life, I agree that the first two tracks stand out. Godheads Lament has the best mellow parts ever! ("what would they say if....")

MAYH is my least favorite, but sincec has grown on me very much. I once did not like Still Life, but now I think it is just 2 songs I do not like. The rest of the album is amazing.

I love all Opeth albums generally though.

About MAYH, I know i'll take a lot of heat from this, but I was never a huge fan of Demon of the Fall...

I don't think there's a most loved/hated cd... if you made a poll.... the results would be very close... BWP is my favourite with SL a close second and Orchid is my least favourite...

To me, all of them are great in their own way,but here is my list of how I have them in my CD tower,and this is by personal favorite to not so personal favorite.......

Morningrise
My Arms, Your Hearse
Orchid
Deliverance
Blackwater Park
Still Life

I haven't listened to Still Life in ages. It has some great melodic parts to it,so I will give it a listen someday again, hell, maybe even right now...

I've read a lot of articles that say that BWP is not great because it's "no different from Still Life", which I cannot comprehend. To me, Still Life is vastly different from ALL of the other albums. I think it's probably one of more difficult Opeth records to get your head around, but it's worth it. I think it has a totally different feel, though, from both MAYH and BWP. And I think MAYH has to be my favorite album by Opeth. It's so tight, and focused... it feels COMPLETE, perfectly complete. And BWP is a return to the very dark feel of MAYH, just without the unifying concept. But, Still Life feels like a very different Opeth to me... and I like it.

You'll prolly find that that is due to the fact that Opeth had a rather large surge in popularity after BWP's release, which saw a flood of 'Noobs' saying "THis album is GREAT!" and a bunch of 'old-skewl 1337 fanboys sayin' "Sod off and go listen to their previous efforts N00b! :p "

I will admit that I was a BWP "noob"... I had heard of Opeth long before BWP, but I was only into really dark and/or brutal shit like Hate Eternal, Nile, Emperor, etc etc... I was afraid I wouldn't like it - so I never took the time to check it out properly... then one day I just went and bought BWP without ever even having listened to it ... threw it in and was blown away. And I immediately took the advice of Spike's "old-skewl 1337 fanboys" and bought everything else of theirs I could get my hands on.

Truthfully, I think all Opeth albums are great. But Still Life does have the only Opeth song that I do not really care for. "Serenity Painted Death." I don't know why, but I never really got into that song like every other Opeth tune.

I remember it like it was just yesterday...

It had been my first pay check, cold cash in my hands... Walking through that Cd store... Looking for something new. Thinking of a new Death album when I saw it. I was just blown away by the cover art. The beautiful forest and mist... I am the person to sit in the woods for hours at a time.

I picked it up and bought it. Opeth, Blackwater Park. I got home and popped that bitch in and fuck. I was hooked. I got Still life next, which was surprisingly different for me. I put it away for later. A month later, I popped Still Life in and was hooked on the sound... Mikaels voice was different between the two albums... But soon, I got The rest of the albums, and by far, orchid id my favorite. The rest sit equal as my favorite band of all time. Awesome.

HAIL!
MIKAEL IS GOD!