Work Out Thread.

Muay thai teaching in the morning for an hour, Muay thai in the evening for an hour (4x a week)
Self Defense class that includes krav maga, hapkido, bodyweight exercises for an hour and a half 2x a week at night

lifting, abs and jumprope every day for about an hour and a half

walking everywhere and never using a car

I like to work out haha, as far as plateauing goes just switch it up; it's really easy. If you're doing lat pulldown then fuck that, do pullups instead. If you're doing bench press then just do bodyweight stuff like pushups. If you're training 8-10 reps try doing 12-25 reps of a lighter weight. There's maximal strength, strength endurance, power, etc. The body adapts to the stressors put on it so basically you get what you train for. I mix it up all the time with different weights, exercise equipment, body weight, exercises etc and I have no problem with plateau or ever not having a challenging workout (in fact I used to weigh 220 and now I'm 170 and more muscle than ever before).

Also don't cut out all your carbs and just be a protein junkie, it's reallyyyy bad for your kidneys and you're going to fuck yourself up hardcore. Body builders do it before competitions because yes, you can get by just taking in protein shakes and shit like that but your kidneys have to work really hard to filter everything and there are certain vitamins that need fat and carbs to work and it's a lot of strain on the body to convert all your protein into energy. Take protein but not too much and don't neglect your carbs and fat; just do more low intensity exercise such as very long walks at like 3.5 mph and you'll burn off fat while not burning off muscle.

If anyone has specific questions about shit and wants a scientific answer I can probably help you out; I'm currently in the process of getting NASM certified and it's really scientific and crazy shit, I take my test mid may and hopefully I'll pass (I've read the 700 page book, taken the practice tests, watched some of the dvds, memorized anatomy >_< ). There's a lot of myths and stupid shit out there that I'm really learning about, it's nice to have a real source instead of these miracle diets or exercise plans.

Also don't cut out all your carbs and just be a protein junkie, it's reallyyyy bad for your kidneys and you're going to fuck yourself up hardcore. Body builders do it before competitions because yes, you can get by just taking in protein shakes and shit like that but your kidneys have to work really hard to filter everything and there are certain vitamins that need fat and carbs to work and it's a lot of strain on the body to convert all your protein into energy. Take protein but not too much and don't neglect your carbs and fat; just do more low intensity exercise such as very long walks at like 3.5 mph and you'll burn off fat while not burning off muscle.

I said cut down on 'simple carbs' like sugar and white bread (and well, also alcohol) not complex carbs like whole grains.
Technically... everything has carbs... even a cucumber, but veggies and beans have carbs combined with fiber (among other minerals and vitamins) that are beneficial for you.
I agree with you about the 'no carbs diets' though, they are so stupid and do destroy your kidneys.

I am soooo out of shape these days it is killin me. I've been up to my eye balls in work the past few months that I haven't had anytime to do anything ( sigh ).

Previsouly though, on Tyler's suggestion, I looked into the P90X stuff. It was pretty damned good and I will probably begin with that once my schedule evens out.

I said cut down on 'simple carbs' like sugar and white bread (and well, also alcohol) not complex carbs like whole grains.
Technically... everything has carbs... even a cucumber, but veggies and beans have carbs combined with fiber (among other minerals and vitamins) that are beneficial for you.
I agree with you about the 'no carbs diets' though, they are so stupid and do destroy your kidneys.

I wasn't referring to what you said, I actually didn't even notice you said that haha! You're spot on about keeping the whole grains and stuff, some people just try to cut them out so much or do them in such a little amount that it gets bad and yes you can cut out carbs almost completely. If at night for dinner you have just a whey protein powder in water your body can convert the amino acids it isn't using for tissue building into energy through glucogenesis but if your body is having to filter and covert all that protein for energy use multiple times throughout the day through supplements and protein as a replacement for an entire meal (bodybuilders can shed body fat right before a competition this way) then it's reallyyyy bad. There have actually been a couple times where I've had just whey protein in water a little bit before bed because I didn't want to eat something full like a snack, probably not healthy but whoops haha.

^ I used to do the Whey protein too, until I learned that I probably eat enough protein as it is so I don't need to add more.
But it is fantastic! low cal, pure protein, all natural. :)

I hear ya about the snacks late at night... while 4 days a month I let myself eat whatever I want and crave (you know ;) )
on regular nights if I'm in need of late night snack, I usually get a yogurt or light sour cream with bellpeppers or cucumbers... low on cal, has fiber, and hey... protein too!

Whole Grains are so important ina diet... shame that people think that in order to lose weight they have to cut all "carbs" all together.
The simple carbs- yeah no one really needs those, but whole grains are awesome!

When are you going to be certified, Enemy? :)

I'm taking my test mid may, I've been studying my ass off so hopefully I'll pass haha. After that I plan on getting some other certifications more focused on diet and nutrition because the other personal training ones tend to be similar information and I wouldn't just want a cert because of the status or name associated with it if I don't get anything out of it.

I actually had you in mind when I started this thread because I recalled you were doing that. Thought I'd juice you for free info. ;)

I change up my work out. My diet is pretty varied, and I honestly don't think about it too much. I think there is too much focus on what to eat, when, how, why etc etc. I eat good stuff most of the time and the results are where I want them to be. I just want to avoid my body getting bored and to finally shift a kilo or two that is hanging on primarily because of beer and food associated with beer.

Yeah people freaking out about diet just don't get it. I eat potato chips, hamburgers, hotdogs, and all that kind of stuff but the difference is I don't over eat and I eat often and make sure its good. Potato lightly salted chips with olive oil, grass fed super lean beef hamburgers and hotdogs (no extra cheese or ketchup but sometimes i'll put onion, tomato and lettuce), non fat milk; you can basically eat whatever you want as long as you eat good food and exercise a lot. Also eating stuff like cheerios with non fat milk is a great snack. I have friends that went vegetarian to lose weight and they weigh as much as me but have none of the muscle definition, clearly working for them :erk:

If you can walk to as many of your destinations as possible as fast as is comfortable and the longest route possible, eat maybe 5 times a day with the portions getting smaller as the day gets later (and nothing 3 or so hours before bed, just water) and lift weights with a protein shot after (they make whey protein shots which are just like a capsule with 42 grams of protein, super easy to take on the go) then you'll shed pounds and become skinnier and more ripped than ever before.

For weight lifting one thing I see people do all the time is hit the bench press, do their set and then just walk around drinking water and chilling before hitting it again; instead if you do bench, rows (chest, back) or curls, tricep extension (bis, tris) or basically anything in an alternating manner so you don't have to stop you'll burn a shitload of calories (that split where you hit the muscles that do alternating functions is super set, but they've found circuit training like that where you just keep hitting different exercises to be as beneficial or more than regular cardio, you can do it super set or not especially since your metabolism is raised after and you burn more calories throughout the day, I'm pretty sure the scientific term is excess post exercise oxygen consumption, more on the different set types later). What's funny is today I actually got in about 3 times the lifting as the other dude that was in the gym using that method because he'd stop, let his muscles recover and then do the same muscle whereas I just jumped to a new exercise keeping my heart rate up and maximizing my time; you can get in a full hour long weight lifting session in about 25 minutes if you do it that way. Just by spending 25 minutes in the gym doing intense circuit training you can really alter your body and if doing the same thing isn't your bag you can always switch up the way you circuit train (ie pyramid method where you do as many reps as you can with a high weight, quickly switch lower with more reps, lower with more reps etc and then jump to the next muscle group). There are so many different ways of doing sets, doing exercises that there's never a way to get bored or be stuck doing the same thing.

Excessively long post yeah I know but for anyone concerned about plateau you don't need to buy into some fancy program, do any form of these following sets but don't stop for a rest after each set (at least until you've been going for a while or you need a quick water break, don't kill yourself haha):
Pyramid set system (rapid succession of high weight low rep going lower weight higher rep or the opposite way around, by the time you get to the bottom of the low weight high rep even the smallest weight will seem hard haha, just think of it as a pyramid in that you start high weight and low rep and go down or you start low weight and high rep and go up, and then you switch to the next muscle group)
Super set system (as mentioned earlier bi's, tri's; chest, back; anterior delts, medial delts, posterior delts etc, this is what i do most days)
Circuit training system (make a plan of maybe 8 exercises you want to do and then hit them all in rapid succession and then at the end take a quick water break and go back to it until you've hit the whole circuit maybe 3 or 4 times)
Peripheral Heart Action System (this one is actually new to me and I learned through NASM; it's basically circuit training but you alternate upper and lower body so you'd do a chest press then a squat, a row then weighted lunges, shoulder press then power stepups. it's cool because in theory if you did this you could basically hit your entire body in one workout with this but you better be rested because even doing circuit training like this to work your whole body would take a while and be superrrr intense haha)

last note before I end this tl;dr post is that remember also, vary what exercises you do. For chest theres more than just bench press, you can do pushups, plyometric pushups, pushups on an incline, decline, chest dumbell flies, dips partially work chest, pushups on a trx; there's so many different machines and exercises you can do and the more different ones you do the more your body becomes confused and needs to adapt. The SAID principle (specific adaptions to imposed demands) will train you body to whatever stressor you put on it so just mix up your set methods and exercises and way you do things and your body will basically become a machine and you'll probably have a lot more fun exercising and be more motivated to do it than thinking ugh i gotta do pushups today blahhh

Well........... the key is not to over eat, YES, but that doesn't mean you can eat whatever you want...
Your body needs balance and essential stuff, and you can't live on hotdogs/potato chips alone, even if you exercise a lot... (I'm not talking about you specifically, Enemy!)

Yeah, not to eat too much... that's what it comes down to, and also exercise, but a physical "(blood test) can really reveal how 'healthy' you are, and I doubt hotdog diet or people
who eat whatever they want yield healthy results

When it comes to eating healthy, there is no 'debate'.
Avoid processed foods, and greasy stuff and cut down as much as you can on simple-carbs. Eat a lot of veggies/fruit and balance whole grains and meat, and eat whole ingredients instead of processed. THAT'S IT.

I have a terrible sweet tooth so I can't avoid candy/ baked goods completely, but I try to only eat them once in a blue moon. ...and I don't eat processed crap.

Enemy- you're right about walking and exercising though. VERY true. Now that the snow storms and winter is gone, I can start taking your advice and walk more :)

haha yeah I mean I don't live off those foods but my friends and relatives think it's impossible that I'm able to eat burgers and hotdogs and chips and still stay healthy and fit (when I told my aunt I ate chips she didn't realize some chips can be bad for you and some really aren't that bad at all); they don't realize that the fact that the beef is grass fed and extremely lean and the chips are lightly salted and made with oliveoil instead of fried makes a huge difference. My potato chips aren't fritos and my burgers aren't whoppers from burger king haha, it is tough to eat enough fruits though; I usually end up just drinking fruit smoothies like odwallas and naked juice but that's not really good enough.

haha yeah I mean I don't live off those foods but my friends and relatives think it's impossible that I'm able to eat burgers and hotdogs and chips and still stay healthy and fit (when I told my aunt I ate chips she didn't realize some chips can be bad for you and some really aren't that bad at all); they don't realize that the fact that the beef is grass fed and extremely lean and the chips are lightly salted and made with oliveoil instead of fried makes a huge difference. My potato chips aren't fritos and my burgers aren't whoppers from burger king haha, it is tough to eat enough fruits though; I usually end up just drinking fruit smoothies like odwallas and naked juice but that's not really good enough.

Yep :)
It's amazing what one can find at Whole Foods or Trader Joes huh? :)
I am amazed by the amazing alternatives nowadays for every "bad for you" food, there is a healthier alternative.
Good for you, Enemy! (Im a dork..forgot your real name... )

Speaking of awesome good-for-you snacks, I recently discovered this at Trader Joes:

crunchy_curls.JPG

AMAZING!

not to mention everything by FoodShouldTasteGood but especially this:

Picture+7.png

There are definitely good "snacks" out there!

diet is everything. I used to work out like a maniac, but that was all preventive, to keep at bay the pounds I was packing on each day. I'm a borderline alcoholic and a very addictive personality, so it's never 2 beers for me, it's always 12, and after 12 beers always comes sloppy burgers or pizza.

In the two weeks I haven't had a drink, I've been eating extremely healthy, muesli in the morning with milk, fruit during the day, a bigger, mostly vegetarian meal at around 3 pm, and then fruits and granola bars later, but nothing after 8pm, plus drinking lots of water, and I've trimmed down significantly. After a month of getting used to the new regime, I'm going to start running again, but work and other stuff has really been killing my time for working out.

Tried to do my regular weight workout mixed in a higher tempo to get the cardio in there. Shortened the workout a lot while still doing the same exercises and working up quite a sweat :)

you mean tempo of the actual lifting like 4/2/1, 2/0/2, x/x/x or just the speed at which you do it? training at different tempos actually has an effect on the benefit you're getting, ie more reps at a lower weight gives you strength endurance and cellular adaptations while training at higher weight at a slow more controlled weight gives you more hypertrophy (using 70-80% of your 1rm is best for hypertrophy) and maximal strength. I'm not sure what you're going for but if you want to get hypertrophy and maximum strength while still being able to get the maximum calorie burning you don't have to go fast, simply don't break between exercises at all and it'll keep your heart rate going just as much. You don't need to be going fast to burn a bunch of calories, just a constant demand of energy which you can even get doing high weights slowly and controlled but over a period of time. Again I can't even pretend to know your goal but also if you do more motions that include more muscles then it'll help you burn more calories if you're going for little time (ie pushup with rotation, plyometric pushup, bench press with your legs in the air as if you were doing a forward crunch). Most people think that super intense fast cardio is the best way to burn fat but actually the body burns the most fat when you're simply sitting still doing nothing haha; it all comes down to you lose weight if you burn more than you put in.