Works of MDB

ernerite

entity of dim mist
Jul 2, 2003
Belarus
www.rainroom.by.ru
Hey, what's your attitude towards the legacy of My Dying Bride? What do you think about this band?
Personally I'm sure that Katatonia and MDB are the bands performing the gloomiest metal music nowadays, besides they are rare bands which have not created anything except great albums, whatever to take. And lyrics are somewhat alike in their doomy atmosphere and sorrow. What do U think?

Demonspell said:
Without question, MDB are one of the greatest doom metal acts ever. Their latest album is among my favorites of this year so far...
Well said. I have been listening to MDB since Turn Loose The Swans came out in '94. They actually have never created an album that I didn't like, except for maybe The Light At The End Of The World, which recycles so many ideas they did on albums previous. The latest one is brilliant, and will for sure find its way into my top five by the end of the year.

the angel and the dark river is a classic. and i also love "like gods of the sun", the rest of the stuff is quite samey, could take it or leave it... anywho...

my dying bride influences some of the band i listen to like saturnus or lacrimas profundere. i was never too big onto their music myself, particularly with the over exagerated melancholy lyrics (oh how sad we are picking thorn roses)....no i'll just stop here before i get flames.

I really don't like that % complete album.
i didn't hear the last one, but if it's the same as 'The light' it'll be ok. I really like the angel and the dark river. And the 2 EP's. Furthermore, i praktically own their entire works. But i don't listen to it that often.

I like them, but not every album, I think they lost a lot without the violinist.

How is the new album by the way? I read a lot of very positive reviews.

I used to love these guys for long time, but finally I got tired. May be they have no progress, may be progress of Katatonia, Anathema and others is much more visible. And, yeah, I love to be sad or happy wiht my fave bands, but MDB doesn't have happy songs. Katatonia and Anathema do=)

I really really can't stand the singer's clean vox most of the time. Stuff like Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium or The Thrash of Naked Limbs I like the most... Basically anywhere where he growls, because musically they're quite the good band.

No progress? Yeah, Turn Loose The Swans, 34.788%...Complete, The Dreadful Hours and Songs Of Darkness, Words Of Light all really sound the same. ;)

I really like all the stuff that they've done, except the first album perhaps. I can see why most people won't like 34.788%, but good thing I love that experimental album too.
Terry mentioned the lyrics being over-melancholic...maybe sometimes they are, but I love MDB's lyrics nevertheless. The stuff on the new album is pretty gothic and more storytelling stuff, which I really like a lot.

MDB are a very special case, not for every occasion (o.k. Katatonia too), their music need time to realize, to understand and to get really involved in, if you manage to go through these stages you'll surely find their magic.
my current favourite is The Dreadful Hours, i've heard the new album too but can't say much about it 'cause of the same reason - i need time to be certain. and i simply don't get it why most fans write off the % album, it's the freaky side of MDB "Rip you off cuz I need a hit, sit-down-now-I've-had-enough.. " he he