Works of MDB

Heroin Chic isn't that bad...but I'm not in the mood for listening to it almost ever.

The rest of the songs on that album are pure brilliance. I, too, at first only liked Under Your Wings and Evander Sinoue. Then I listened to the album again about half a year ago and it just clicked. It's pure brilliance from the 'To you. I'll only give it to you...' riff/verse of The Whore, The Cook And The Mother to the 'Leave it all to me because I'm Feverish, Devilish and Irrelevant' line of Under Your Wings.
Apocalypse Woman has to be one of their best songs too...those lyrics, that chorus and that bass line. Wow.

Now, who the fuck is Evander Sinoue? Do you think Catherine Blake has anything to do with William Blake's wife of the same name?

and as for me i like "Heroin Chic", yes it's quite different to almost all MDB stuff yet, but the experiment is not bad at all, it has pretty unique hypnotic mood..

My Dying Bride.

I think that it is unfair to compare them to Katatonia, especially Katatonia’s recent albums. The two bands are doing completely different things.

I am really impressed with the new MDB album, though. It is very good. I would go as far to say that it is the best thing that they have ever done.

Sure as hell better than Viva Emptiness. Indeed, it rivals even Turn Loose The Swans, 34.788% and Like Gods Of Sun.

This is of course subjective.

Shit, I think that %complete album is their best! It's so original, so athmospheric, and Heroine Chic is just a brilliant! It's despair in it's cleanest form. %complete is very brave album, and it was a great step in progress, it "strengthens my blood". But every metalhead on earth shouted "HerChic" is fucking rap, i hate it a lot!" and next alb of MDB was FUCKING WEAK!!!

one of my favorite bands. And I don't think they've ever just "recycled" and album, even TLATEOTW, which gets a lot of flak for that, but i highly disagree, its nearly all melancholic and melodic guitar driven, no other MDB album is like that except maybe TDH, but TDH has a bit less emphasis on guitar and more on atmospherics, etc.... actually TLATEOTW is my favorite MDB.... the only bad one they've made IMO is Like Gods Of The Sun

They're right behind Katatonia in terms of my favourite bands. Both MDB and Katatonia have released such emotional albums, and even though all of their albums are different, their experimentation proves just how flexible they are. I always thought these two bands would make a good match for a concert.

Yeah, but in terms of making a tour in North America including Canada. That would be absolutely amazing.

Anthony said:
2000&Gone
Electricity
Far Away

"Wings of God" is not happy, but it isn't sad.
same thing fo "Empty"
Hoohoohooooo :lol::lol: Too funny.

2000&Gone doesn't have lyrics so you can't tell what the song is about, hence you can't tell it's supposed to be happy or depressing. The music is rather melancholic.
Electricity, melancholic as well, a song that has lines such as 'what you needed was to be rid of me' can not be happy.
Far Away "Been down so long
Too deep the water that I tread
Sometimes I feel myself going under
Sometimes I envy the dead
" Correct me if I'm wrong but that's not exactly happy is it? It isn't.
Wings of God is about anger, not about happiness (and indeed not depressing either)
And saying Empty isn't depressing is retarded. Duncan wrote this song in the darkest times of his life. Have you ever read those lyrics ffs???

Okay no offence intended allright, I just can't stand it if people think Anathema have happy songs, cos they don't know what they're talking about and in most cases don't even know what those songs are about.

I can't compare theses bands.
They are both cult bands, cause they both did a cult album that will stay in the history of metal music (Brave Murder day for Katatonia, and Turn Loose the Swans for MDB). I like everything these bands made so far. The 34,788% complete album was so bad for me when I first heard it...Too much changes with the 3 previous ones I guess. The romantic feeling has changed to a futuristic stuff I didn't like at first. Now, I think the album is Ok, even though it's not among their best.

While these two acts share a similar appeal, I fail to see a valid means for comparison in terms of lyrical expression and delivery of emotional/atmospheric projections. My Dying Bride has made a career out of the construction of elaborate structures never short on bombast. Their realm is a Romantic, tragic and far more complex proposition. Katatonia, by contrast, dwell in blueroom minimalism that shuns such bombastic elaborations and poetically tragic yearnings. They portray an almost paralyzing isolation through anti-progressive or reactionary methods, not so much wanting to provoke a reaction as leaving the listener in a trance-like state of uselessness. Where My Dying Bride are the demons and the angels quarreling over whether to joingn forces or combat until death, Katatonia are the silent observer, the lone soul who remains indifferent to the entire episode, and turns to lonely windows to gaze out of while hopeless events unfold.

'The Cry Of Mankind' is genial. So epic and dark. The lyrics rule aswell. The best of all ist that one guitar-melody through the whole song.