World Cup of Heavy Metal

tuonelan

Mostly Harmless
Dec 7, 2012
District 13, Panem
I generally don't see much merit in the heavy metal blog "Greatest [fill in the blank] of the [fill in the blank] popularity contests, but having binged on World Cup games and finding myself bereft of football for a while, I've been thinking about whether one could come up with a list of 32 top quality heavy metal bands to best represent their country.

Additional conditions: they have to have released a new recording in the last four years that justifies their selection to represent the country and they get bonus points if their style of metal is generally associated with the country in question.

Potential countries:

Finland:
Norway:
Sweden:
Germany:
UK:
USA:
Poland:
France:
Canada:
Australia:
Italy:
Brazil:
Ireland:
Switzerland:
Iceland:
Greece:
Japan:

Who else?

And who best represents each of these countries?

Nice idea, but it's a hard question.
I mean, some countries' names are basically made synonymous with certain bands' names in my head, but it's hard to say, really.

Some are easy, I guess, Norway, for example, will always be black metal - but I would be hard pressed to say which band wins, since first bands from Norway that come to my mind are Darkthrone and Burzum - both having released new albums recently - but aren't exactly your typical Norwegian BM anymore. Mayhem would probably be a better choice there.

Iceland would be Solstafir. Point blank shot there.

Germany always reminds me of thrash metal, but too many power metal bands there to be a clean cut.

I want to say Celtic Frost for Switzerland, but ain't gonna happen. Triptykon?

Aaaaaand...that's it. I have no idea what to say about other countries, or I have too many ideas. Damn it. I realize that most bands that come first to my mind are usually playing some atypical style for the country, or are, in general, an atypical band.
Damn it, I've lost in this competition.

Potential countries:

Finland: Sibelius
Norway: Opeth
Sweden: ABBA
Germany: Type O Negative: Der Untermensch
UK: Sex Pistols
USA: Type O Negative
Poland: Type O Negative (Pete is Polish)
France: None
Canada: Justin Beaver
Australia: Wolfmother
Italy: Lacuna Coil
Brazil: Soccer
Ireland: Drunk
Switzerland: Celtic Frost
Iceland: Bjork
Greece: Olives and Ouzo
Japan: Loudness

Finland: (Amorphis, CoB, Ensiferum, Finntroll, Korpiklaani, Turisas)
Norway: (Darkthrone, Dimmu Borgir, Enslaved, Satyricon)
Sweden: (Amon Amarth, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Meshuggah, Opeth)
Germany: (Accept, Blind Guardian, Kreator, Rammstein)
UK: (Motorhead, Orange Goblin, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost)
USA: (Lamb of God, Machine Head, Mastodon)
Poland: Behemoth
France: (Alcest, Deathspell Omega, Gojira)
Canada: (Anvil, Augury, Cryptopsy, Devin Townsend, Gorguts)
Australia: (Belphegor, Ne Obliviscaris)
Italy: Lacuna Coil
Brazil: Sepultura
Ireland: Primordial
Switzerland: Triptykon
Iceland: Solstafir
Greece: (Rotting Christ, Septic Flesh)
Japan: (Dir En Grey, Gallhammer, Sigh)
Denmark: (King Diamond, Mnemic)

Don't forget Vader for Poland. And Riverside, although they're more prog than metal. For Finland, I'd definitely include Insomnium and possibly Barren Earth, but there should also be some of the bands that actually sing in Finnish (e.g. Mokoma; Kuolemanlaakso are better in my book but not very well known yet). Too bad the Faroe Islands never seem to qualify for anything, Hamferð certainly are the stuff of champions (and let's not forget Týr, although I wasn't that much into their latest one). Russia could enter the cup with Аркона, Estonia with Metsatöll, Latvia with Skyforger and Australia also has Be'lakor. This is too difficult for me right now... ;)

:eek: So nobody likes ABBA?:Shedevil:

I know, silly me sniffing around being--->:loco:

But maybe this thread could evolve into:

What Bands Have You Seen on this list? And stories?

1) Lacuna Coil: It was Johnny and Kenny's new band (Type O) opened up for them (7th Void) whatever ok but the moment was I met the lead singer from Lacuna and she sat right down next to me at the bar. Immediately we had a conservation and asked her if she would like an american beer. "Yes, why not, give it a try". She loved it (Premium Grain Belt if I remember) and we had a cool conversation. I fell in love of course but smacked myself in the head to go home and not on the bus. Cristina is: :worship::Smokedev: Well hell, I can't sing like that!

Finland: Amorphis,

Norway: Turbonegro

Sweden: Katatonia

Germany:Rammstein

UK:none:lol: :lol::lol:

USA: Tool

Poland:percival Schuttenbach

France::lol:

Canada:Wayne Gretzky :)

Australia:KArnivool

Italy:Lacuna Coil

Brazil:Soulfly