worst growler?

dani of filth. and as for calling cryptopsy crap well, i wont say how i feel about that thought. their new stand in vocalist was good though, i saw him at his first gig with cryptopsy, and i hope they let him stay on:D

There are many styles of growling and many different vocalists within each style. So, from the perspective of one style one vocalist can be great, whereas from the perspective of another style he(/she?) can be very bad.

Take Dani for a good example: I, as one who is used to "lower" growls like those of mr. Åkerfeldt, find his vocals horribly weak, while a friend of mine thinks Dani is one of the best vocalists ever, due to his personal style and wide range of shrieking.

So, even if we could be completely "objective" (which we of course can never be in these kind of matters of taste), I doubt we could ever agree WHICH growler is the best/worst.

But to answer the original question, Alexi Laiho is far worse a vocalist than he is a guitarist, IMO. And I think Anders Fridén is pretty good nowadays (he was far worse by Skydancer-days).

-Villain (np: Testament - Low - "Trail of Tears")

No one mentioned the losers in Mortician....the most laughable band in the history of music...horrible in all aspects of their "music". Will Rahmer should be dragged screaming into the street and shot..........the funniest vocals ever, I guarantee he is not saying the lyrics.......

Originally posted by dune_666

Excellent, most underrated thrash album ever!

Well, I'm not sure if it is the _most_ underrated ever, but indeed a very good album that gets never mentioned. In addition to myself, I know only ONE guy who really likes it.

-Villain

Originally posted by dune_666
Excellent, most underrated thrash album ever!

Yes, it is definitely underrated, along with Demonic. I think it was strange that Testament had a death metal period, and BTW, I think Chuck Billy's growl on Low and Demonic is one of the best I've heard.

As for the worst, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Death. Chuck Schuldiner as laughable as the guy from Obituary. These can be argued as not being growls at all, so I will also say Dani from CoF and whoever the hell growls for Mortician, (Mortician are the worst death metal band I have ever heard...drum machines, two chord songs, cookie monster growls...what's not to hate?)

Personally, can't stand what's-his-face from Mayhem (new guy). I sold the album to a guy off this board because I hated the vocals so much. I couldn't make anything out even with the lyric sheet.

On another note, Beck can do a good metal voice. I saw an old SNL performance of "Devil's Haircut" and for one of the last choruses, he did this wicked screaming thing. Was better than most metal bands, IMO. :D

Personally, can't stand what's-his-face from Mayhem (new guy). I sold the album to a guy off this board because I hated the vocals so much. I couldn't make anything out even with the lyric sheet.

Speaking of Mayhem, Maniacs vocals fucking rule on The Grand Decleration Of War. Hes the general of the army and ready to go to battle.

"You lifeliars crawl on your bended knees
As you finally die you will have eventually lost more...
Not by mercy, by strength we end you pity lives
Not by spirit, by flesh we awaken the beast within."

EVIL!!!!! :devil:

NP: Taake - Nattestid Ser Porten Vid VII

oooooooooh,very shocking

hehe Dani's voice is-to put this politely- one of the worst i've ever heard..... hehe should i say non-existent?

I reckon you are wrong there. they are meant to sound that way. i love dani's shreiking stuff... really good, but i also love the deep growls like mikaels.

The worst growler i think i have heard is the "vocalist" Rok from Sadistik Exekution (aussie crap). look em up

Originally posted by my dying groom
Now I'm curious. :)
My shrewd dict. says for example: "container, such as a can, for draught beer". Is that the meaning you're talking about? :D

Heh, let me put it this way- y'know how, when a woman walks past a construction site, and get's whistled at? Well, same scenario, but they instead yell "Show us yer growler!".
I think you get it now (luke was correct about the carpet part:lol: )

And I'm surprised it took so long for someone to mention Maniac from Mayhem. He's actually not their new vocalist though, he was on the DeathCrush ep, which I think was their first. He grows on you, I quite like him now, despite his tendency to sound like Donald Duck in places. The new live recordings sound awesome.

And Dani is cool (I'm refering to his vocals here, people ;) ), his range is amazing.

And John Tardy is a bloody legend!!!!!!!!!!!
(that's the guy from Obituary, IYDK)

Yeah, Mortician sure do suck ass, in pretty much every way.

Testament have just been getting better, as Metallica went all mainstream and they had nobody to follow any more (a couple of those earlier Testament albums seemed very much Metallica-wannabe's. Ever heard "Return to Serenity"? It could be called "I Wanna Be The Unforgiven So Bad I Can Taste It".) Actually, I'm exaggerating a little, but the point is that since Low they've been getting better and better, and with the addition of Dave Lombardo, "The Gathering" was a great album.

Originally posted by crumbling mirth
testament have got too heavy for me

Dude, you are in an Opeth forum, and you posted in favor of Emperor just a few minutes ago. Testament aren't the heaviest out there. Kind of a strange thing to say, as I would never let "heaviness" or "lightness" get in the way of how I appreciate music.

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
Ever heard "Return to Serenity"? It could be called "I Wanna Be The Unforgiven So Bad I Can Taste It".

I love that song...you are right, though. Alot of my friends have sworn up and down that that song was by Metallica, upon hearing it.

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
And John Tardy is a bloody legend!!!!!!!!!!!
(that's the guy from Obituary, IYDK)

You've got to be kidding me. That guy would be the downfall of the band, if the fact that they are very uninspired and boring didn't bring them down first. He is awful.

The worst growler i think i have heard is the "vocalist" Rok from Sadistik Exekution (aussie crap). look em up

The dude from Blood Duster is much much worse. (more australian death-metal-bullshit) :lol:

tyrantofflames - strange, i know ;)

let me put it in the following terms: within the confines of their style, testament have attained a heaviness that i don't find accessible.

i can apprecate the heaviness of opeth and emperor largely because of their inventiveness within their respected genres.

testament is sort of generic to my ears.