Votes: 5 9.6%
  • My Arms, Your Hearse

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Still Life

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Blackwater Park

Votes: 19 36.5%

• Total voters
As many of you would have come to expect by now (if you can remember these type posts from the past), I voted BWP.

This poll quite fascinatingly pretty much exactly represents the inverse of my feelings on which album is the best, relative to each other - as it is right now, that is, being:

Orchid 13 33.33%
Morningrise 4 10.26%
My Arms, Your Hearse 3 7.69%
Still Life 5 12.82%
Blackwater Park 14 35.90%

For me, the middle three are far and away better than the outer two for their strong compositions, flow, style, and my interpretive sense of emotion. I completely concur with X's review of Orchid, with the exception that I simply feel that much stronger about the middle three. I can also concur with Lina's points on "disjointedness" - the concept albums (and the 5 track Morningrise) appeal to me in their sense of wholeness, and the outer two albums are certainly more lacking of that. When it comes right down to it, though, I think I just like the compositions on the middle three more, and they have fewer areas I find myself critical of (finger once again pointing at middle of Dirge for November).

(Actually, a more accurate representation would have Orchid at about 8, not 13, but anyways...)

Interestingly enough, I find myself unable to stay awake through Morningrise and Orchid nowadays when listening to in bed, but don't seem to fall asleep to the latter three. Production sound, I wonder? It can't simply be familiarity...

geeze, how many people voting for Orchid actually own the thang?!?! in my opinion its the most accomplished Opeth album to date, it combines the rawness and energy that only a debut album can have with great technical ability and since of proportion, the flow of songs is perfect and leaves me feeling more fulfilled than any other Opeth album. The songs are deep and well written, it seems that they are more improvised rather than planned from the beginning, i think this suits Opeths style, somewhat experimental and original, thats what i think is lacking perhaps from the latter albums, they seem to be more rigid and planned in structure

i listen to orchid 3 times each day and blackwater park like once a month. see? it's all very easy

This is great. :D I love hearing everyone's opinions in here. Although, I don't like hearing "I haven't heard much of the album so I chose it." It's like, "COME ON. Give it a trial run at least." ;)

X! Dude. Thank you. Not for answering the question of why Orchid is such a sweet album, but for making me feel like I did when I first came to this board--> "Someone else feels the same way...even more!...about Opeth like I do!" Reading what you said about Orchid gave me chills...YAY!! :lol: :D That felt great. I love Orchid for many reasons and when you see someone else spell it out near perfectly...it's a great feeling.

Maybe it's the way each song grabs my metal core WITH A MIGHTEY FIST! I love each and every song on that damn album. "...and do you take The Twilight Is My Robe to be your lawfully wedded song? I do!" :loco: I really do prefer it overall at the moment. I'm in rehab from it listening to MAYH right now. I'm guilty of loving the sin out of that album too though. Morningrise is just flat out beautiful/moving. Awwwe. :rolleyes: Death...heartache...nightmares? Hey! Then you got the storyline of Still Life!! GASP! :::clenches chest:::

I can't go on...must rest now...

No no no... no! How can Orchid get so many votes. Orchid was the last Opeth album I bought and it seems that I'm starting to like it the most. It just has _something_ the others don't.

yes, i am of the opinion that many people voting dont actually own orchid. I downloaded a few mp3's from orchid before i bought it, i wasnt particulary amazed by what i heard, but i figured because it was opeth, i HAD to own it, anyway after listening to all the songs in their entirity and in context with the whole album it soon became my favourite opeth album....anyway i would be interested to find out how many people here actually own orchid, cos im thinking that a lot of people only discovered opeth recently with blackwater park, and havent had the chance to purchase the whole back catalog yet, and i know that orchid in particular can be quite hard to get hold of, so anyway be truthful, who owns Orchid?

i do.

and i would like to announce that i am forcing myself to listen to it over and over. as we all know, opinions change. and since many of you have such strong praise for it, i'm trying to not be so critical of it.

and opet, i love that feeling too! sorry i didn't provide it for you! :D

I told myself I wasn't going to vote on this thread earlier but I truly believe Blackwater Park deserves my vote. Orchid has been my favorite album of Opeths for a while now. There is just something about it.....

Orchid was the secound ablum I got. And I immediatly fell in love with it. The songs touch me in ways like no other. Its so beautiful.:)

Well, if you don't look at the others, BWP is great - if you do, however, it becomes rather ridiculous:
To me it seems like BWP was written around a nice sequence of chords, with some second-rate melody forced into this scheme.
On the old albums the chords are comparatively primitive, but they are written to match some of the best melody lines I've ever heard - and this is what makes an album "great" in my opinion...

=> Nothing like BWP again, please...

Originally posted by Rakshasa
Well, if you don't look at the others, BWP is great - if you do, however, it becomes rather ridiculous:
To me it seems like BWP was written around a nice sequence of chords, with some second-rate melody forced into this scheme.
On the old albums the chords are comparatively primitive, but they are written to match some of the best melody lines I've ever heard - and this is what makes an album "great" in my opinion...

=> Nothing like BWP again, please...
BWP is a bit less "grabbing" to my ears than the first four...good but not great IMO...I still like the early stuff the best. :)

Originally posted by Opet

X! Dude. Thank you. Not for answering the question of why Orchid is such a sweet album, but for making me feel like I did when I first came to this board--> "Someone else feels the same way...even more!...about Opeth like I do!" Reading what you said about Orchid gave me chills...YAY!! :lol: :D That felt great.

Hi Opet,

Orchid is a sweet album and it is a sweet feeling to come across your own humanity in someone else.

Anyway, the feeling's mutual, esse! hehe

Anyway, the feeling's mutual, esse! hehe -X

I tole chew mang! :tickled: Das da sheet! :lol:

i would like to announce that i am forcing myself to listen to it (Orchid) over and over. as we all know, opinions change. and since many of you have such strong praise for it, i'm trying to not be so critical of it. and opet, i love that feeling too! sorry i didn't provide it for you! -Lina

That's why I say: I love hearing everyone's opinions. They make me rethink things in a different light...one that I like more at times. I've changed my outlook on many things just by listening to others voice their opinions. Especially when we don't see eye to eye. That's when the rants/debates/deep conversations come in. :heh:

I was on my way to come to work this morning and there was no tape playing. :err: That's odd. I always have something in there. Then I remembered trying to break the mold and I took out MAYH earlier that day and put in Firestarter, a BM comp, and by the end of the day, I remember ripping it out of the tape deck and hucking it across my car (if you can imagine that) because I was so PISSED that everything else just doesn't stand up the test of time with me anymore like Opeth does. Grrrrrrr!

So, I put in BWP because like I said before in this thread, I voted for it because it was the "least impressive due to lack of exposure." So. We're giving it a go again. :rolleyes:

"We enter winter once again..."