worst music transition...

I once owned Whitney Houston's first album on CD, waaaaay back in the mid 80s. I also had a Hootie and the Blowfish CD. (Both were sold LONG ago.) But, I was also into Dokken and Def Leppard and Maiden and Dio around the same time as well, so I don't feel too terrible.

Then in '89 I worked at a record store and discovered Morbid Angel, Deicide, Carcass, Bolt Thrower and Cannibal Corpse, and that was pretty much all she wrote. Shit, I still have the longboxes from those CDs. Anybody here remember longboxes?

NP: Katatonia - 'One Year From Now'

Sadistik said:
longboxes! HAven't seen those since 92 or so.......I must have been 10 when they stopped printing those....
Hahahaha...

I'm an old bastard. I have a box full of flattened longboxes. I cut a few of them up to use as pieces of collages but for the most part I have every one I bought...

they really ain't worth shit except for the nostaligia, but it's cool to have the art in a unique format.

Maybe someday I'll finish that collage.

NP: Katatonia - 'Evidence'

COnsiderateApathy said:
I once owned Whitney Houston's first album on CD, waaaaay back in the mid 80s. I also had a Hootie and the Blowfish CD. (Both were sold LONG ago.) But, I was also into Dokken and Def Leppard and Maiden and Dio around the same time as well, so I don't feel too terrible.

Then in '89 I worked at a record store and discovered Morbid Angel, Deicide, Carcass, Bolt Thrower and Cannibal Corpse, and that was pretty much all she wrote. Shit, I still have the longboxes from those CDs. Anybody here remember longboxes?

NP: Katatonia - 'One Year From Now'

i think u are the only one that beat me on worst transition...whitney houston...damn

Ironically, so many people put down Korn here...but how many people here started from them and got into Opeth and subsequently "real" metal?

I still think Korn's S/T is probably the most cathartic album ever...

RogueSpirit said:
Ironically, so many people put down Korn here...but how many people here started from them and got into Opeth and subsequently "real" metal?

I still think Korn's S/T is probably the most cathartic album ever...

cathartic??....sry, but i'm to lazy to get a dictionary

taken by the reaper said:
i think u are the only one that beat me on worst transition...whitney houston...damn
I wouldn't necessarily call Whitney Houston worse than the Backstreet Boys. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif And I think that stuff is a far cry better than the boy bands from that time, like Menudo or New Kids On The Block. Those'd prolly be the 80s equivalent to your Backstreet Boys. So give me a break... /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

To be fair, most of that stuff was from my adolescence when I was not really in touch with the music scene. They were popular releases, and a lot of them were gifts from parents, grandparents, et cetera. You have to remember that the internet and all the avenues that allow music to stretch its legs in this day and age weren't around back then. You either heard of a band through friends, or from the radio, or through fliers, or from picking it out of the bin at the local record store. (Yes, the RECORD store.)

I think I really got into metal when I heard Maiden for the first time. That was probably my first exposure to Metal, back around the Powerslave era. I tape-traded with friends and got into Dio and Ozzy and Metallica; then on into punk rock like Minor Threat, Fugazi, Exploited, Suicidal Tendencies, GBH; then on into death metal when that reared its ugly head. Since then it's been an ever-evolving cornucopia of fantastic music.

COnsiderateApathy said:
I wouldn't necessarily call Whitney Houston worse than the Backstreet Boys. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif And I think that stuff is a far cry better than the boy bands from that time, like Menudo or New Kids On The Block. Those'd prolly be the 80s equivalent to your Backstreet Boys. So give me a break... /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

To be fair, most of that stuff was from my adolescence when I was not really in touch with the music scene. They were popular releases, and a lot of them were gifts from parents, grandparents, et cetera. You have to remember that the internet and all the avenues that allow music to stretch its legs in this day and age weren't around back then. You either heard of a band through friends, or from the radio, or through fliers, or from picking it out of the bin at the local record store. (Yes, the RECORD store.)

I think I really got into metal when I heard Maiden for the first time. That was probably my first exposure to Metal, back around the Powerslave era. I tape-traded with friends and got into Dio and Ozzy and Metallica; then on into punk rock like Minor Threat, Fugazi, Exploited, Suicidal Tendencies, GBH; then on into death metal when that reared its ugly head. Since then it's been an ever-evolving cornucopia of fantastic music.

ok...maybe it isnt worse...but i just want SOMEONE to say saomething worse!!!

I used to listen to all kinds of crap. Whatever my sister was listening to, I'd get into. So.. without a musical identity of my own, I fell victim to Hootie and the likes. I think maybe my only salvation was that my best friend got me into Guns n Roses pretty early. Then Queen, which I still listen to, from there to NIN - was never much of a Manson fan when he was popular, but in hindsight I like what he was saying and how he went about saying it. Some of his music is still alright too ;)

KoRn's first album is great...then a couple tracks off the next one, and then forget about it.

When a band dissolves into a homogenous goo of popularity and greed, it's time to get out, I find.

I suppose nothing really matters as long as I've got my Opeth goin' :D

..I'm such a pothead.

I completely forgot about Weird Al Yankovic, who I never saw live, but met twice outside the auditorium in Thunder Bay.

Add to that.. Barenaked Ladies (~93) and Moxy Fruvous (~93 as well) - both of whom I met as well.

I just gave away my autographed shirts to a friend who collects band merch (of all kinds)..

Duvall said:
I completely forgot about Weird Al Yankovic, who I never saw live, but met twice outside the auditorium in Thunder Bay.
Weird Al!!! I used to love Weird Al when I was younger. He was funny. I still laugh my fool head off at his movie "UHF" whenever I watch it.

My viewpoint is that it doesn't matter what you've listened to... perhaps someday down the road you'll be embarassed of what you listen to now, but you didn't get to where you are now without being there first.

If that makes any sense.

*shrug*

I still listen to the bands that I grew up with, some not so much as others, but it all brings back a sense of nostalgia in some form. And that makes me happy.

NP: Devin Townsend - 'Man'

I don't have too much trouble listening to KoRn. IMO the singer person is quite passionate, therefore somewhat genuine (sometimes).

I used to like All Saints, a lot.

I still quite like their song from the film "the beach" /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

There.

Sheeet, I'm way to cool for that shit...Yeah, I started on In Flames...that is pretty embarising for me to say now adays! :D

I used to listen to my sister's music when I was little, anything from Country to the Cure to NIN to Boyz II Men (this was when she was in high school...she had some erratic music taste, now that I think about it...)

The first band I ever got into though was the Red Hot Chili Peppers, back in 4th grade when BloodSugarSexMagik came out (once again thanks to my sister.)

I'm not ashamed of anything I used to be big into:
Primus, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Green Day, Korn, RATM, Helmet, 311, Butthole Surfers. I still like all of that stuff now (except for newer Pearl Jam and Green Day, I own all of these bands catalogues)

I didn't get into "metal" metal until about 3 or 4 years ago. I started with Cannibal Corpse and Suffocation.

I still like Korn, I don't know why everyone says they're so "rappy," they have like two straight up rap songs, one of which was a joke...

Nirvana, Green Day, and Rage taught me how to play guitar, so they'll always be great to me.

"Heavy rap w/guitars" or "rap metal" is okay when done right...the first Limp Bizkit albums have their moments, and then they have their really bad moments but still Hed PE's first album is really good, and their second was kinda corny but had some cool riffs...

I like Slipknot, and I like Mudvayne even more. Their new album's pretty badass...

I don't know, even though my tastes have gotten better/different over the years, I still like to go back to old school or whatever...I'm not ashamed!

Addendum:

Bands I never Liked:

Godsmack
The Offspring
Bush
Coal Chamber
Papa Roach
Saliva
Oasis
Nickelback
MOTHERFUCKIN' CREED
Kid Rock

I don't see anything genuine, new, or original about any of these turkeys...their cds should be used for target practice.