Wow, a fresh breath of creativity

ezzep

New Metal Member
May 13, 2012
First, let me introduce myself a bit. I live in a very small town called Buhl. There's not much to do there. The radio stations all play top ten (no matter what genre, even the Christian ones), so I get tired of hearing the same ten songs after a day.

I was born in the 80s, and as a kid, hated the music of the 80s. I still distaste it greatly, except for Van Halen and anyone else who was still shredding after the grunge idiots took over.

I went to a Christian high school, Baptist to be exact, and that was a lot of fun. They had a lot of material that was anti-rock 'n' roll. I had a great laugh at most of it, but learned a lot of why the arguments against rnr was/are made.

I started playing guitar while in high school, and loved it. I still enjoy it as therapy and enjoyment. I don't play as much as I should, but being married, and playing Skyrim are a bit hard to balance. I first listened to Led Zeppelin, the Who, Jeff Beck, etc. Funny thing though--as cool as they sounded or still sound, they all left me feeling empty. I guess that's why we have a relationship with Christ right?

OK, so fast foward to modern day. The Christian artists are all pretty much saying the same thing, and I'm discovering that more and more of the "christian artists" are in it for the money, even if it's not as much as secular stuff. We sing Chris Tomlin songs in church, and am sick of it. My friend who is in high school and a musician tells me to check out Theocracy.

I grabbed the "Mirror of Souls" album off a pirate site, and was instantly hooked. "Yes!!" I shouted at work while cutting boards and listening to my iPod. "Yes! Thank you God for a band that still cares about the music and the lyrics!" I compare Theocracy to Keith Green in both talent and lyrics. There are very few bands in the Christian genre where the guitarists can actually play a guitar, and not just chords. Do you know what I'm saying??

So, I bought "As the World Bleeds" on iTunes, and was like slightly disappointed when listening to the new album. Mostly because I like listening to an album straight through, and hadn't been able to.

2 weeks ago, I finally got to get a full spin through, and was amazed at Matt's songwriting skills. And Val's guitar work--holy crap! I loved it, all of it.

I keep thinking to myself "Why is there all this screamo crap on the Christian stations where you can't tell what they're saying, but they won't play Theocracy??" It drives me nuts! You've got the hard Christian station, and 1/2 of the stuff I can't understand or is really really depressing IMO, especially for Christian stuff. There's the "soccer mom" station that plays the same stuff from '95 to '12 stuff that's mainstream Christian, and nothing hard or convicting. Then you've got the other station that plays Kutless worship songs and again the same stuff as mentioned above.

But I really have to compliment Matt's vocals. I mean, how many times do you hear a singer that can belt it out, hit those high notes, and not go 'oh, heck with it!' and go the demon hunter route/screamo junk? It's so refreshing to not hear another John Mayer/Blink 182 wannabe, with stupid stupid lyrics.

It's too bad that so many radio stations are run by people without a brain attached to their ears, but at least you've discovered Theocracy - praise God for that!

I grabbed the "Mirror of Souls" album off a pirate site...

Getting a pirate copy is bad enough, but you really shouldn't be telling us that.

^ If I remember correctly, Matt said he was "fine" with people pirating a CD, but only if they bought the next one. Which is what ezzep did. :p

^ If you remember correctly, that's very generous of Matt.

& if that's right, does it mean I can go hunting for pirate Japanese bonus tracks, as long as I pay for them when they're released locally?

Come on guys, he's new here, and it gained Theocracy a fan. We all have our various opinions about pirating (most of them agree that it's stealing.....unless you already bought the music but can't access it because iTunes is a retard, in which case pirating is both ok and necessary), but do we need to jump down the throat of a new fan about it?

I think it's great he gave them a chance, especially since, from what I understand about his town, it probably would have been nearly impossible to find a physical copy, and he may not have had a debit card to buy it online at the time.

ezzep, welcome! I'm the moderator here. Glad you found the band and us! Which Buhl are you in (I see towns with that name in several states).

Welcome ezzep! Cool that you found Theocracy!
I started to listen to christian themed metal in the late 80s. There were and are some very good bands - Theocracy is one of my favorite ones of them!

Welcome ezzep. I hope you stick arount for awhile and enjoy your stay. Are you looking for other recommendations for good quality past and current christian bands? I can recommend some:

Petra/Classic Petra - classic rock/modern rock/hard rock
Stryper - commercial/glam metal
Bloodgood - classic and commercial metal
Barren Cross - power metal similar to Iron Maiden
Deliverance - speed/thrash/industrial metal similar to Metallica and Slayer
Guardian - commercial metal/alternative hard rock
Holy Holdier - commercial metal/alternative hard rock
Impellitteri - shredding/progressive/technical/classical metal similar to Yngwie Malmsteen
Mastedon - classic rock/commercial metal similar to Kansas (former Kansas member John Elefante is a founding member)
Resurrection/Rez Band - blues based hard rock similar to Led Zepplin, AC/DC, Van Halen
Ken Tamplin/Shout - commercial/glam metal with shredding guitars
Angelica - commercial/glam metal with shredding guitars
Whitecross - hard rock/alternative hard rock smilar to RATT, Aerosmith and Van Halen
Saint - classic/power metal similar to Judas Priest and Iron Maiden
Rob Rock - classic/power metal similar to Dio, Iron Maiden and Dokken
Sacred Warrior - classic/power metal
X-Sinner and The GX Project - blues based hard rock/boogie woogie metal similar to AC/DC, Def Leppard and Cinderella.
Daniel Band - Canadian classic hard rock similar to Rush, April Wine and Triumph

I hope this helps you in your search. In my area we have 1 Seventh Day Adventist radio station that only play praise and worship and mellow music on an AM dial with a terrible sound. The play traditional, southern gospel and modern praise and worship. I find the praise and woship in traditional hymns and in classic rock and metal songs written by Petra, Saint, Theocracy, and Rob Rock much more meaningful than the top-40 Nashville based money grabbing modern praise and worship that is currently being promoted. We have 1 classic rock/hard rock station that plays everything from U2 to Iron Maiden. We have another that plays classic mellow and moderate rock and we have 2 top-40 stations. I only listen to the 2 classic music stations. I am past the point of caring what stations play where I have my CD collection and I will bring a couple of CDs to Play when I get bored of the radio.