writing a paper about children of bodom...help!

tsiguy96

New Metal Member
Nov 3, 2006
hello all. for my history of rock and roll class, i have to write a paper about a foreign band, so i chose CoB. its an 1800 word essay, based mostly on the music, not so much the lyrics (unless the voice is used as an instrument or to fill in gaps in the music or what not, which is a whole other story). anyways, i have to pick minimum 2 and at most 4 songs, so i think im going to do songs that best follow the career of CoB, but the only song i have defenitely picked is Silent Night, Bodom Night. what songs do you think best represent CoB at certain stages in their career?

i was thinking about analyzing Red Light in My Eyes Pt II, because it shows the early neo-classical influence which the band was based off early in their career, would this be a good choice, and a song that best represents their first album?

i will also need to choose a song or thats somewhat recent. i was considering doing another song from hatebreeder, bed of razors, because i think that song also very well represents the middle of their career and has amazing instrumentals which i could spend forever analyzing. what about a song from are you dead yet? or one from hate crew death toll, what would eb the best song/s to pick from these albums?

i will write more after i have picked the songs i am doing, and will tell what the paper is more about, so you great group of guys can throw some hints my way :kickass: :p

I would definitely choose needled 24/7, I think it's one of the most representative... Oh, and living dead beat as the recent one!

Yeah I would pick one song of all the albums except FTR cause it sounds pretty much like HB.
From SW I would pick Deadnight Warrior
HB:SNBN
HCDR: needled 24/7 (or HCDR)
AYDY: IYF or LDB

Tabs can help you a bit, maybe

ive been all over that site, i cant find much in the way of musical analysis, which is what the paper is about. anyone who can help me find a resource for this, or even explains what instruments are being used when, would be a great help. they have so much stuff going on, i cant keep up with all of it!

Go to the Discography section. There are detailed descriptions of each song from each of their albums.

mention lake bodom,now Bodom got their name,their history,original lineup,Inearthed,their influences,who they influenced,etc...

I'ev studied Bodom's music a whole lot so I might be able to help with certain things when it comes to compositional techniques etc.

I think cool songs to analyse would be:

SW: Lake Bodom
HB: Silent Night, Bodom Night
FtR: Kissing the Shadows
HCDR: You're Better Off Dead
AYDY: Living Dead Beat/In Your Face

You could write about how Alexi used alot of harmonic minor back in 1997 because he was listening to Yngwie Malmsteen alot. Also, alot of fast tremelo picked stuff because he listened to black metal alot.

Then in the Hatebreeder era, he used the harmonic minor a little less and used more leads through the songs and the keyboards were more active, i.e playing more leads, harmonies and melodies as opposed to just being there as a background "ahh" sound like in some SW parts.

etc...

I'ev studied Bodom's music a whole lot so I might be able to help with certain things when it comes to compositional techniques etc.

I think cool songs to analyse would be:

SW: Lake Bodom
HB: Silent Night, Bodom Night
FtR: Kissing the Shadows
HCDR: You're Better Off Dead
AYDY: Living Dead Beat/In Your Face

You could write about how Alexi used alot of harmonic minor back in 1997 because he was listening to Yngwie Malmsteen alot. Also, alot of fast tremelo picked stuff because he listened to black metal alot.

Then in the Hatebreeder era, he used the harmonic minor a little less and used more leads through the songs and the keyboards were more active, i.e playing more leads, harmonies and melodies as opposed to just being there as a background "ahh" sound like in some SW parts.

etc...

thats EXACTLY what i need to write about, and i gaurantee if i did 8 pages of what you just said, id get an A :).
do you have any information you could send me or any research you yourself have done on the subject? or where could i find this information? im not very good at musical composition as i have 0 musical ability of my own

Hey tsiguy96
You could also talk about the harmonic progressions in the songs and the songs structures. Analyse the verses and the choruses. Talk about what kind of intervals are used (like the use of the tritone interval appearing in FtR and in some songs off Hatebreeder). You could also talk about all the rhythm in the songs and some use of polyrhythms. As Warheart already said, talk about the scales used in the songs and how Laiho tends to play the solos vs. Janne tends to do it. I don't know :)

thats EXACTLY what i need to write about, and i gaurantee if i did 8 pages of what you just said, id get an A :).
do you have any information you could send me or any research you yourself have done on the subject? or where could i find this information? im not very good at musical composition as i have 0 musical ability of my own

I don't have anything written down, I just wrote that from what I already know while talking to my mum. :loco:

If you choose some songs, I can help out.

Hey tsiguy96
You could also talk about the harmonic progressions in the songs and the songs structures. Analyse the verses and the choruses. Talk about what kind of intervals are used (like the use of the tritone interval appearing in FtR and in some songs off Hatebreeder). You could also talk about all the rhythm in the songs and some use of polyrhythms. As Warheart already said, talk about the scales used in the songs and how Laiho tends to play the solos vs. Janne tends to do it. I don't know :)

i dont know what any of that stuff is, im a musical newbie, i just know whats good and what i like ;)

after listening to all the albums, the one i know best is the one i like the most: hatebreeder

i know this CD inside and out, and may write the article based mostly on just this CD, as i can find pieces of their musical background throughout all of it, as well as precursors to their newer CDs. i also believe it is their most original CD, i have listened to are you dead yet? and i didnt like it to be honest, the CoB originality im used to was gone....

Silent Night, Bodom Night
Bed of Razors
Towards Dead End
Black Widow

if anyone can pick out better CoB songs from other albums, id be very interested, ill give em a few listens over to see what i think :).

if your gonna base it off their carrer then i would go lake bodom, and hate, silent night is a good choice, then mayb bodom beach terror cause i like that song

silent night bodom night is a definate one for sure
and maybe you should try one of their slower based songs like angels dont kill or everytime i die
just a suggestion