You laugh, you lose

Eye-Halve-A-Spelling-Checker.jpg

YMMV whether all those incorrect words are actually homophones with the correct words. In my case I would never confuse "shore" with "sure" because the latter rhymes with "fir."

Likewise, in the very first line, "halve" is confused with "have", which would not occur in Southern English accents, as the former word has broad A of "father", as does "half."

"Weather" is pronounced differently from "whether" in accents that preserve the distinction between w and wh, such as those Scotland, Ireland, and some southern U.S. accents.

YMMV whether all those incorrect words are actually homophones with the correct words. In my case I would never confuse "shore" with "sure" because the latter rhymes with "fir."

Likewise, in the very first line, "halve" is confused with "have", which would not occur in Southern English accents, as the former word has broad A of "father", as does "half."

"Weather" is pronounced differently from "whether" in accents that preserve the distinction between w and wh, such as those Scotland, Ireland, and some southern U.S. accents.

the "incorect" words are supposed to rhyme with the "corect" words

so imagine a guy speaking the poem with the type of accent where this would occur

and for future reference
it's really annoying when someone does the whole "this joke isn't funny because..." thing

I wonder if Watson or any AI would 'understand' that poem. Like, I wonder how good their 'homophone figuring out' algorithm is so far.

i've been told that the poem "is as old as spelling checkers" and pre-dates grammar checkers and that the existence of the poem is actually responsible for the for the existence of grammar checkers

but of course that might be just an urban legend