Younger Opeth listeners?

Funny that about being intelligent.. one of my relatives who likes Opeth quite alot got like 98.5 for his UAI (end of high school education result) which is very good.
As for me, apparently I'm intelligent but I'm excessively lazy. (so I guess it cancels out)

Also being able to appreciate music more and the ability to identify/relate with what you are listening to helps.

One more note, RnB listeners tend to be the most stupid.

I don't think it's necessarily maturity or age, I think it's how you feel on the inside.

That's true. A 10 year old wouldn't have problems or feelings like a teenager or adult would, so they wouldn't have the same thought on Opeth. They would only listen to Opeth to try and be the 'cool' one among his/her friends. "Hey, listen to this! I like this so I'm cool!" :guh: My brother said that once.

Cama_Zotz said:
That's true. A 10 year old wouldn't have problems or feelings like a teenager or adult would, so they wouldn't have the same thought on Opeth. They would only listen to Opeth to try and be the 'cool' one among his/her friends. "Hey, listen to this! I like this so I'm cool!" :guh: My brother said that once.

i give u props my friend....well said...

i can especially relate to this comment becuz... ugghh...i used to be one of those kids...i've learned my lesson in the past year and when i started high school it was like starting my life over...

a memo to all young ones out there...dont be a poser!!...it will ruin u

Musical taste and intelligence doesn't have a lot in common. Plus intelligence is too broad of a term. It could mean anything from an understanding of people, to an understanding of society, or smarts, or IQ, etc. Ther eare obviously many assholes who listen to so-called smart music and a lot of "intelligent" people who listen to stuff like 50 Cent.

It's all opinion. I don't believe ther'es any other factor.

well...im 17 now, and i hate to say it, but when i was in my early teens i was into the whole rap metal scene. i just look at that as my introduction to metal. as years passed, my musical taste matured greatly, which is why i can truly appreciate opeth and cringe when hearing the mainstream metal. i tip my hat to all of the younger fans though, you guys are awesome.

I'm 20, I'm going to be 21 this 16th of July, and I got very surprised when I read the other posts seeing very young people listening to Opeth, I don't know, I just thought Opeth listeners were older, but it's great to know there are still young people with very good taste in music ;)

I'm 13. I first started listening to semi-shredders like Vai and Satriani when I waas around 11. I was all like "wow...thats fast, dude ... cool..." And then i got into the Yngwie and Dream Theater. I was like "there so cool, they can play fast, i'm so cool :Spin:" But then in the past year i found myself getting attatched to music. I found emotions coming through me when i listened to the music. I actually got quite worried. I wasn't listening to how fast or technical the music was (allthough i'm still a sucker for technical metal, prog metal and shred) but I'm listening for what mood they manage to get through the interesting arrangments (this can be the dizzynes prog can cause, the whole "fuck yeah!" feeling Death metal can give etc....) Opeth is the perfect band for this. They just have emotion to the music. Just the inner beauty within the mood.
I hopw you guys can get what i'm saying?;)

Posted by illbeleavinnow
It's all opinion. I don't believe ther'es any other factor.

That's what you say when someone questions our music. And again about the age, we don't have real opinions untill we are a bit older. You don't see little kids walking around with a glass going, "Is it half-empty or half-full....?"

(I'm 14...forgot to say in my first post)

Cama_Zotz said:
That's what you say when someone questions our music. And again about the age, we don't have real opinions untill we are a bit older. You don't see little kids walking around with a glass going, "Is it half-empty or half-full....?"

(I'm 14...forgot to say in my first post)
I asked myself that question for the first time when i was 11.

My God, I can't believe there are people here as young as 13 and 14. And what's even harder to believe is the maturity level of most of them (most but not all, unfortunately). I do think it definitely takes a certain level of maturity to appreciate Opeth, or metal for that matter, so that of the younger kids in here isn't too surprising.

But I considered myself to be a young fan, and I'm turning 19 at the end of October. And I've only been a serious metal fan for 4 years and didn't get into Opeth until 2 years ago.

So all you guys who got an early start are lucky :p