Your Autos

I "have" a jeep, but I've been driving my dads 1965 Ford Custom.
It's awesome but he completely raped it with skulls. I told him it isn't fucking halloween.

As I'm not old enough to take the driving license I don't see any point in owning a car. However, the family car is a Volvo XC70 (I think):cool:

Well that fucking sucked. I replaced the battery with a Duralast two days ago. It ran just fine yesterday when I was driving it down to my brother's shop. We replaced the spark plugs, oil change, and all that jazz. As I'm driving it back up to Indy and the battery light came on.

I read the manual while I was driving and it said it could be the alternator, the battery, wires, belt, or something else. It was running fine for a while, I stopped and got gas and it started back up just fine. So I started thinking it was just being a bitch.

So I get back to Indy and decided to get some food before I stopped at home to check out the car and it starts sputtering and nearly lost all power in the drive through. I manage to coast into a parking stall and it just dies on me. By process of elimination I conclude the alternator just shit the bed and need a new one.

My bro drives up and picks me up and we head to Autozone to pick up a new one. We drive back to Steak N Shake and replace it. We jump the car and it starts up but the battery light keeps flickering on and off still -- not good. I drive it around a bit hoping the battery just needed to recharge itself. It runs fine, so my brother heads home after following me for a bit and I headed to Autozone to turn in the old alternator to get my core charge refund.

I pull into Autozone, shut it off, turn in my shit, and then head back out to the car and it won't start -- dead battery. So I jump it again, have the guy in the store test the voltage output of the alternator, it was fluctuating between 12.8 and 11.7 volts, when it should be a constant minimum of 14 volts. So I started fucking around with stuff and started to think that maybe there was a problem with the wiring but couldn't find anything. I leave it running to see if it will just recharge the battery more, but nothing. The engine was revving up and bogging down while it idled and it just wasn't charging the battery or supplying enough power to run the engine.

I had to park it overnight because Autozone was closing and I had no tools to work on it. My brother drove back up this morning and we headed over there to work on it. Took out the alternator, had it tested and it passed. I had them get me a new one anyway and tested it and it passed too. So I said fuck it, I asked for a new alternator and a new serpentine belt and replaced both of then. Jumped the car and it ran like a dream. So apparently the pulley on the alternator was fucked or it was the belt skipping. Either way, I don't have to worry about either one of them now, or forever because of the lifetime warranties on both.

It was a major pain in the ass, but in the end everything worked out and the car is running fine now. It just pisses me off that I just bought this car and already had to dump $400+ in parts already, but oh well. It's all fixed and ready to go for a long time now.

My next task is fixing the driver's side seat heater and replacing the freon for my A/C. And then, I car start working on the goddamn car and spend money on upgrades instead of repairs.

Well that fucking sucked. I replaced the battery with a Duralast two days ago. It ran just fine yesterday when I was driving it down to my brother's shop. We replaced the spark plugs, oil change, and all that jazz. As I'm driving it back up to Indy and the battery light came on.

I read the manual while I was driving and it said it could be the alternator, the battery, wires, belt, or something else. It was running fine for a while, I stopped and got gas and it started back up just fine. So I started thinking it was just being a bitch.

So I get back to Indy and decided to get some food before I stopped at home to check out the car and it starts sputtering and nearly lost all power in the drive through. I manage to coast into a parking stall and it just dies on me. By process of elimination I conclude the alternator just shit the bed and need a new one.

My bro drives up and picks me up and we head to Autozone to pick up a new one. We drive back to Steak N Shake and replace it. We jump the car and it starts up but the battery light keeps flickering on and off still -- not good. I drive it around a bit hoping the battery just needed to recharge itself. It runs fine, so my brother heads home after following me for a bit and I headed to Autozone to turn in the old alternator to get my core charge refund.

I pull into Autozone, shut it off, turn in my shit, and then head back out to the car and it won't start -- dead battery. So I jump it again, have the guy in the store test the voltage output of the alternator, it was fluctuating between 12.8 and 11.7 volts, when it should be a constant minimum of 14 volts. So I started fucking around with stuff and started to think that maybe there was a problem with the wiring but couldn't find anything. I leave it running to see if it will just recharge the battery more, but nothing. The engine was revving up and bogging down while it idled and it just wasn't charging the battery or supplying enough power to run the engine.

I had to park it overnight because Autozone was closing and I had no tools to work on it. My brother drove back up this morning and we headed over there to work on it. Took out the alternator, had it tested and it passed. I had them get me a new one anyway and tested it and it passed too. So I said fuck it, I asked for a new alternator and a new serpentine belt and replaced both of then. Jumped the car and it ran like a dream. So apparently the pulley on the alternator was fucked or it was the belt skipping. Either way, I don't have to worry about either one of them now, or forever because of the lifetime warranties on both.

It was a major pain in the ass, but in the end everything worked out and the car is running fine now. It just pisses me off that I just bought this car and already had to dump $400+ in parts already, but oh well. It's all fixed and ready to go for a long time now.

My next task is fixing the driver's side seat heater and replacing the freon for my A/C. And then, I car start working on the goddamn car and spend money on upgrades instead of repairs.

BUILT TO LAST! DURALAST!

About a year and a half ago I bought a 1996 White Subaru Outback from my uncle for $100 and just had to put a couple hundred more into it to pass inspection. A month or so ago, a crack appeared out of no where in the lower driver side corner of the windshield and had gradually spread to the center. Fortunately, I have complete glass coverage, so it wasn't going to cost me anything to fix it, but then it started over heating like crazy. It would even over heat on the way to work and back, which is a 7.1 mile drive, so I started pouring coolant into it non-stop. My dad bought a gallon of coolant for me and I used almost all of it in less than a week, before my dad decided that I was better off looking for a new car. Luckily, my mom's been letting me drive her car for the past month, so I still have a way of getting to work (there's no public transportation out here).

A couple nights ago my mom found a '97 Green Outback on craigslist with a fairly new motor (only 15,000 miles) and an upgraded interior from what I've been driving (it has a CD player), for only $1,950. Also, it's standard, which will give me something to do other than just sit there while I'm driving. Today, she and my dad drove to Binghamton to test drive it, and I visited craigslist to keep looking for other options and I found a 2001 Outback for only $2,200. I was hoping that they would take a look at the 2001 Outback with me when I got home, but when I arrived they told me that I had bought the '97.

So I'm not as happy as I could be, but at least I have a replacement vehicle that didn't break the bank.

1994 Mazda Miata, Laguna Blue. Driving an effeminate car makes me more secure in my masculinity.

So...that was interesting.

A couple days ago my car started misfiring. I had just replaced the plugs on it, so I got to thinking that maybe they weren't gapped right even though the guy at AutoZone said they were pre-gapped to OEM specs. Well, I open my hood and the first thing I see is the coil pack over cylinder one is just floating there (this car has individual coil packs instead of one big one). So I pushed it back down, drove it around for a second, and it started doing the same thing. I opened the hood again and saw it was raised up again and pulled it out to see that the nylon pin was broke. So I went to AutoZone and bought a new coil and replaced it and it ran a lot better, but the car still misfired in 5th when I hammered it. I convinced myself to just replace all of them and be done with it.

I replaced the coils for cylinder two and three, and the old ones look ok, one was a burnt at the tip and the other had a decent amount of oil on it, nothing really out of the ordinary. But then I pulled off coil four and saw a bunch of residue on the tip of it, which looked like white grease. It was caked all over the inside of this damn thing which is no wonder why the engine was misfiring when you slam the gas. I still don't know what this shit is and am considering taking it to AutoZone and see what those guys think.

In the end, it has new coils and plugs on it and runs pretty sweet now.

Eeeeeep... I hope it calms down and runs well for a while. Gotta suck buying a car and having random shite go wrong regularly.

I just don't really care... Though we do have two cars. But I live in the capital-megapolis - so the public transportation works alright here... The only reason why I'll feel need in a car pretty soon - would be the very heavy photo gear I have to carry with me and my future cymbals and double pedal shit.

Umm... 90% of people in my city live in appartments, so if they are in a band - they can't practice with the band at home. So they rent a rehearsal room (a room with all needed gear) for a few hours to play together. Good drummers have their own cymbals and double bass so they carry those with them to rehearsal rooms... Yet the question is - why would I need to ride 1 hour by subway with a bass drum twice a week?...